I don't even know where to send my portfolio DVD...

I just finished my portfolio DVD. It has a mix of my best film, animation, photography, and music work. One problem though... I don't even know where I should send this DVD. I typically try to figure out things on my own, but I really don't know where to begin with this. I don't even know which keywords I should google. :D I'm so stupid when it comes to marketing and business stuffs.

I would really like to have a job at a studio doing film and/or photography. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Poke said:
What are you hoping to achieve? Are you wanting to possibly sign on with an agent, or into a film collective?

Poke
I would really like to have a job at a studio doing film and/or photography. Being my own boss is getting a little wacky. I would rather work with people than by myself.

Tony, why don't you just do a search for film festivals that accept movies on DVD?

Doh! That's not a bad idea. I think I'll do that.

And make sure you do some research on the festivals you choose. You can never be too careful.

Right right.

Before you send out the DVD, you may want to post the movie on a forum like this one for feedback.

But my movie is too damn big! It's 20mins long, and there is no way in hell I'll be able to shrink it enough and keep the picture quality nice. I refuse to make it any smaller than 1.5gigs!

You anal bastard. Couldn't you make it into an xvid, or something?

I tried but I couldn't get it any smaller than 400mb.

I've seen 2 hour movies squeezed into 700mb files. You could make your movie into a 116mb file if you tried.

That's still too big! Most people still use 56k modems. No one is going to take the time to download a 116mb movie by a filmmaker they've never heard of.

Do you always have to slam my suggestions?

I'm not trying to slam your suggestions. I'm just trying to make a simple point.

Well, I tried to help, and now I'm out of suggestions.

:( Thanks anyway though. Ugg... I'm so tired.

Last edited:
Now I am really confused as to what you are trying to ask.

What exactly is this portfolio DVD you made? I was assuming it was some kind of reel.

______

Oh, and you can easily get that 20 minutes into a 60 - 70 MB file for people to review, over the 'net, in QT or WMV. It would still be a reasonable quality as well, but a compromise in full dimensions. (Halve it)

I, too, am confused.
cinematography said:
I would really like to have a job at a studio doing film and/or photography.
You want a job at a studio doing film.

Directing? Is the portfolio your directors reel?

Or is it your DP reel? Or both?

The days of studio directors are long gone. Maybe an ad agency directing and shooting commercials?

If you're looking for a job directing feature films you should have a reel that showcases your talent as a director - nothing else. Same with photography.

Once you decide exactly what you want to do - more specific than have a job doing film - it will be easier to know where to send it.

Actually I'm interested in directing commercials too, but I haven't done any commercial work. My reel is comprised of independent and film school shorts, all different genres, but no commercial stuff. Should I do a mock commercial, just to show that I can? Would I be wasting my time to send my reel off to agents and commercial production companies without any commercial work on it?

It's the old catch 22: I can't get the work until I've done the work and I can't do the work until I get it.

cinematography said:
Tony, why don't you just do a search for film festivals that accept movies on DVD?

Doh! That's not a bad idea. I think I'll do that.

While you're at it search for pshychoanalysts in your area.

Poke

Zensteve said:
Now I am really confused as to what you are trying to ask.

What exactly is this portfolio DVD you made? I was assuming it was some kind of reel.

______

Oh, and you can easily get that 20 minutes into a 60 - 70 MB file for people to review, over the 'net, in QT or WMV. It would still be a reasonable quality as well, but a compromise in full dimensions. (Halve it)
It's just a collection of my best work from film, animation, music, and photography. I would like to get a job doing film or photography though, and yes - my film ane photography work is at the front of the DVD. The other stuff is there to show I have range. :)

directorik said:
I, too, am confused.

You want a job at a studio doing film.

Directing? Is the portfolio your directors reel?

Or is it your DP reel? Or both?

The days of studio directors are long gone. Maybe an ad agency directing and shooting commercials?

If you're looking for a job directing feature films you should have a reel that showcases your talent as a director - nothing else. Same with photography.

Once you decide exactly what you want to do - more specific than have a job doing film - it will be easier to know where to send it.
Its for directing first, photography second, and everything else third. The first thing you see when you put the DVD in is the movie I made. If they want to search through the other stuff, it's there for them. It isn't like they have to watch the whole thing.

cinematography said:
Its for directing first, photography second, and everything else third. The first thing you see when you put the DVD in is the movie I made. If they want to search through the other stuff, it's there for them. It isn't like they have to watch the whole thing.
As someone who hires people, I look for the best <fill in the blank> and not for a jack of all trades. When I'm looking for a photographer, I don't really want to hire another director whos second choice is photography. I'd rather hire a guy who's first choice is photography.

Maybe it's insucure. And maybe I'm not the only one.

Regarding your reel: Since you want to work for a studio I suggest you research the studios you would like to work for and send your DVD to them. If you want to work for any studio then I guess you should send your DVD to all of them.

I would do a seperate demo for each thing. Do a director's reel, and a photography CD portfolio. Then send those out to available jobs.

Poke

directorik said:
As someone who hires people, I look for the best <fill in the blank> and not for a jack of all trades.
I'm pretty confident that I can do both directing and photography well. I'll admit though, the photography part of my reel is a higher quality presentation than my 20min film because I didn't have a lack of money holding me back.

When I'm looking for a photographer, I don't really want to hire another director whos second choice is photography. I'd rather hire a guy who's first choice is photography.
I'm, essentially, a freelance photographer and independent filmmaker who would like to work professionally as a cinematographer or director for a small independent film studio.

Regarding your reel: Since you want to work for a studio I suggest you research the studios you would like to work for and send your DVD to them. If you want to work for any studio then I guess you should send your DVD to all of them.
I'm such a confused mess right now. I'm ready to make a film NOW, but damn it... I don't think I have anything good enough in my reel to prove that. My photography reel is good, but I don't even think photography companies take portfolios on CD or DVD. I'll have to do some more research.

Poke said:
I would do a seperate demo for each thing. Do a director's reel, and a photography CD portfolio. Then send those out to available jobs.

Poke
Will do.

Thanks again, folks.

Like Poke said, different reels. If you are a cinematographer, you don't want to create the impression that you are a photographer that dabbles in motion pictures.

indietalk said:
Like Poke said, different reels. If you are a cinematographer, you don't want to create the impression that you are a photographer that dabbles in motion pictures.
You all are right. :( I just hope photography studios will take video presentations on SVCD, DVD, or VHS. I can't afford printouts of my work right now.

Another good idea is to beef up your online portfolio. I don't know how mush space musecube allows you to have, but I know that photo.net lets you have a 100 MB for $25 a year.

Poke

Poke said:
Another good idea is to beef up your online portfolio. I don't know how mush space musecube allows you to have, but I know that photo.net lets you have a 100 MB for $25 a year.

Poke
That's not a bad idea. I think it's about time I finally add those portfolio pages to my website. I had a reason for delaying it. I can't remember it now. Must not have been a good reason. Probably paranoia.

Back