• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch I don't even know how to classify this

Alright, I've been lurking a while, and I cracked open my opinion on a big-production film recently, so, I guess I'm going to show some of my older work, and what I've learned since.

This was done my senior year in high-school, one of my friends approached me to help him film a video project. We had worked together the year before on something that was VERY rough*, and he decided I was the best person he knew for the job, ie I had a video camera.

This wasn't my script, nor my "vision" I was just "hired" to help with the filming and editing, but I was given freedom of shot setup and editing to make flow. Some parts drag on longer than they should in my opinion, but we had a 5-minute time requirement. The acting leaves a bit to be desired (note in our fight scene, he slipped and actually did stab me, safety first, kids) and if I were doing it again i'd change the following:
+Better Camera management. Yeah, its not horrid but some of the movement is chunky.
+Better choreography on the fight scene.
+Lose the Grain "Old Film" filter
+More subtlety on the soundtrack. I know, its supposed to be a "silent Film" but the music is awkward at best at times...

All in all, its not exactly the Pinnacle of my work, nor is it something I'll defend faults to, but I feel as one of my first decently setup works there's some good shots, the editing decent, and hell, I had some fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaPqkJxax8I

*Final, embarrassment note- I was young and impressionable at the time. And, again, its not my best work, I guess I'm honestly embarrassed by it, but its the only short that's online.

As I think about what I'm about to write I know how
badly this will come off sounding - but here goes anyway:

You make this sound so bad and rough that I don't even
want to watch it. I get the impression you're trying to
soften the blows you might get from less than glowing
comments so you downplay everything hoping anyone
commenting will temper their comments.

You are telling me what I might thing before I get a chance
to watch it. Are you hoping for "Hey, John, that's not so
bad." comments?

As it stand now, I really don't want to even watch it. You
seem to know exactly what all the problems are and want
me to see and understand them all before I even see it.
That makes watching your student film with an open mind
really difficult.

That said, I'm actually a pretty nice guy and I admire anyone
who takes the time and effort to make a movie.

I agree with the above, in that, when you screen a film in a theater you don't get to add your disclaimers. If you want real criticism, offer your film and that's it. I also read this as you trying to turn the "This is horrible" comments into "It's not as bad as you think."

there's some good shots, the editing decent, and hell, I had some fun with it.

err... well, I can't argue with the "had fun with it" part, I 'spose.
smiley_haw.gif

The segment didn't make a lick of sense, tbh. Titled as an alternate ending to Frankenstein, with footage from Stargate? Nothin' of the sort.

Btw, I think that music was by these guys. I could be wrong, though. :)

The question I would ask you is: How does the narrative play out? I just don't get it at all.

And how does that reconcile with your opinions in your first thread, regarding strong narratives?

going to show some of my older work, and what I've learned since.

I'd like to see how you've progressed since then. :)

Back