• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

vfx I am dumbfounded on how to create a "fake helicopter footage UI". Please throw your expertise my way!

Hello. So I have found an easy "news intro" template for my upcoming project but I cannot seem to find anything guiding me on how to create a "helicopter news footage" UI such as what is seen on the following link. I have Adobe After Effects and Vegas Pro but if anyone can help me achieve this aesthetic I would greatly value and appreciate your knowledge! Thank you so much.

I do not care for the health bar at the top left but the news banners at the bottom, the crosshair and the "latitude/longitude" meters on the left and bottom all add the perfect image.

Last edited:
The banner is an image that is created in something like Photoshop, and then imported and layered over the video

You can hire someone for a few bucks to make the graphic for you on fiverr

The banner is an image that is created in something like Photoshop, and then imported and layered over the video

I guess someone edited the latitude/longitude meters frame by frame to correlate with the video then, hey? That's work news for me. Okay, thank you. I can just make it myself on photoshop, I thought there'd be some magic "helicopter UI" filter I can apply.

It's called a lower third, most of the time, and you can find numerous prefab kits all over the place. Envato Elements will probably have you covered for 15 bucks or so.

It's just not completely clear what the scene is. If you just need the HUD from the Helicopter, then you can just use an animated prefab, or cheap one frame overlay. There should not be any need for much manual animation either way.

What platforms are you using for your film? Is it live action? You showed a machinima clip.

Last edited:
I guess someone edited the latitude/longitude meters frame by frame to correlate with the video then, hey? That's work news for me. Okay, thank you. I can just make it myself on photoshop, I thought there'd be some magic "helicopter UI" filter I can apply.

I must be missing something - frame by frame? I don't see any of the meters moving.
I see them sorta blinking a little but they don't actually change.

Are you seeing something else?

I must be missing something - frame by frame? I don't see any of the meters moving.
I see them sorta blinking a little but they don't actually change.

Are you seeing something else?
You are absolutely right! Wow I was deceived. Okay, that makes it worlds easier for me. Thank you all so much, my only answer is create it myself on photoshop, which is what I love to do.

It's called a lower third, most of the time, and you can find numerous prefab kits all over the place. Envato Elements will probably have you covered for 15 bucks or so.

It's just not completely clear what the scene is. If you just need the HUD from the Helicopter, then you can just use an animated prefab, or cheap one frame overlay. There should not be any need for much manual animation either way.

What platforms are you using for your film? Is it live action? You showed a machinima clip.
It is a video game I’m using for my film. I guess I was just looking way too much into it, complicating things. Upon closer look there is nothing animated in the UI, just a staple layer ontop of the video (minus a few blinks). Thank you all so much.

You are absolutely right! Wow I was deceived. Okay, that makes it worlds easier for me. Thank you all so much, my only answer is create it myself on photoshop, which is what I love to do.

Okay well if they DID move - it's actually really easy to do that in a video editor.
You just set keypoints in the X or Y position, and then it will move left/right or up/down for you, moving to each keypoint at whatever frame you desire.

create an image that is 4x wider or taller than your video.
And you can create a mask so that it only shows the grid in small area of the video you want it seen.

Last edited:

I was going to say he should just go on Google images and see if he can find something with a solid background

Everybody's got the right idea here, but it's a bit nebulous across all the comments so to help add clarity for future readers -

Photoshop can be used to create a static PNG with Alpha channel, which can be used as a non animated overlay. Or, as part of a more complex HUD you can build in Adobe After Effects.

It depends on the quality you need, but the standard way to do this is to use AE, which is sort of like a photoshop for pictures in motion. PS gives you the best control over one specific image, AE offers similar features, but is geared towards motion. So an easy example would be that if you want any part of your HUD to animate, a fuel number, a flashing gauge, a warning light that comes on, etc, you would need to use AE. There are a few other programs you can use that do similar things, but AE is what everyone uses, and there are good reasons for that.

If you're going into a project where you may need many different types of effects, you should really consider just doing the basic AE training. I'll show you where to start in case you or anyone reading this is interested. Watch the videos below, and you'll understand the difference between a fixed overlay PNG w/a, and an AE project.

This is where most of us get started - the Video Copilot tutorial series.

just scroll down and mouse over any thumbnail to see a quick preview of what that lesson teaches you. It's free, and this page is a traditional first step for people interested in learning SFX.

Here's a quick video of the kind of results you can get after completing one of the hundreds of tutorials.

or, if this is literally the only time you're ever going to need this, one of the prefabs like IT linked to would be fine. You can just add a lot of visual flare and customization if you learn to do it yourself.

Flatworm,
There are different ways to do this effect. Keep that in mind when someone is telling you that you must use a specific software package or use a specific plug in. It just isn't so. Considering that you seem to be starting from zero, I would never suggest anything as advanced as what is being described above. Use simple overlays that you can find on-line for free. I have attached 2 at the bottom of this post. Add them to your editing timeline then edit the location and scale. Add simple keyframes if you need things to move around. Presto! Good enough for a beginner. No need to use After Effects. Use your editing program. Read up on chromakey and lumakey, something most if not all editing programs have. Using lumakey you can key in any black and white graphic. Set it so either the black turns transparent or the white turns transparent.

best of luck!

images (1).png
images.png

right click on each image then choose "save image as" . These images already have transparent backgrounds. No need to lumakey them.

Last edited:
Back