producing How to Write a Couple of Pages for Potential Investors?

What Points to Raise Before Potential Investors in Horror Film?

Hi, I’ve been asked to write a couple of pages of points about my horror movie (www.SheLivesAgain.com) to put before some qualified potential investors andI don’t know where to start. Despite having thought about this for days since the request.

Can anyone suggest how I should break down the selling points of my film - how to pinpoint which type of demographic might find it particularly interesting, for example? (I think it’ll be interesting to everyone, of course.)
E848254B-EAA9-4484-A840-9C2E56E8B816.jpeg

I know I can wade through suggestions on the web, and most probably have, just don’t have clarity on this right now.

Thank you!

The first thing I would do if I was in your position would be to try to find another film, as close to identical in metrics as possible, and use it to make a case for investment. "My 100k film plays to the same market as film X, which made back 300k on it's 100k investment" Avoid hyperbolic comparisons with weak metrics matches. "My 100k film is about the Normandy invasion, and Saving Private Ryan made almost 300 million dollars international." That may sound crazy, but you have no idea how many indie film people say things like that.

It's worth noting that most investors respond best to a pitch that goes straight to the bottom line. Investments are for the purpose of making returns, and center around managing risk and reward. Films, and especially indie films, have a high risk, so you need to be able to make a case that your film has a potentially high upside for them. Bottom line, it's gambling, and a roulette wheel needs to have a much higher percentage payout than it's far more stable alternative, the S&P 500.

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve been asked to write a couple of pages of points about my horror movie (www.SheLivesAgain.com) to put before some qualified potential investors andI don’t know where to start. Despite having thought about this for days since the request.
Sounds like you signed up to some service?

The first thing I would do if I was in your position would be to try to find another film, as close to identical in metrics as possible, and use it to make a case for investment. "My 100k film plays to the same market as film X, which made back 300k on it's 100k investment" Avoid hyperbolic comparisons with weak metrics matches. "My 100k film is about the Normandy invasion, and Saving Private Ryan made almost 300 million dollars international." That may sound crazy, but you have no idea how many indie film people say things like that.

It's worth noting that most investors respond best to a pitch that goes straight to the bottom line. Investments are for the purpose of making returns, and center around managing risk and reward. Films, and especially indie films, have a high risk, so you need to be able to make a case that your film has a potentially high upside for them. Bottom line, it's gambling, and a roulette wheel needs to have a much higher percentage payout than it's far more stable alternative, the S&P 500.
Thanks Nate - yes the comparables are great, but then I think, how do I suggest what makes my film likely to receive such success? (Which of course it will!) The guy who will talk with potential investors asked me, also, to point out what are the things about my film that would appeal to an under 30 market, and right now I’m at a loss. I feel my and most any other horror films appeal to most age groups. But the under 34 age group particularly pay to see horror films.

Last edited:
Explain your arrangement with the person you are talking to and we can help better.
It’s just a person I met who misses his pre - Covid life which included traveling to Europe for business. Now his business is more on Zoom. He enjoyed particularly hanging out and talking with Europeans, which can be very much a part of the way of the way of life. He particularly mentioned Barcelona, for example. I’m English and told him if he wants to have fun he should find investors for my movies. He has also enjoyed a lot of European movies and mentions a lot of them I don’t recall - I just remember the name of the director. For example, Bunuel.

Last edited:
Some things I don't understand, even after visiting the website. Is the movie already made? Because it looks like it but the movie poster and list of cast etc. Or are you seeking funds to make it? Confused.

You need comps of other films as has been stated, you need a budget that shows how much you are asking for, you need to explain how $ will be returned to investors and you need to make some points about why you think you have the potential to make a great film. Any great cast or crew that will be part of this or something unique about the script? I know of a horror film producer that was able to raise money because he had a well-known practical effects creator working with him. With everything going computer generated, the fact that a noted creator was going to be making real monsters for the film helped raise money

As to the $ returned to investors, do you know what kind of deal you want to offer? A very typical deal I've made is 120% going back to investors first, then a 50/50 split after the investors have recouped 120% (the 20% is referred to as an investor override). You need to be careful about having enough money to run your business after the film is complete. It might be a year or two before you begin to see any money back, so you need to specify that you will hold on to some amount (like $2,000) every year for the entity (S-corp, LLC) behind the film.

Last edited:
Thank you IvonV - yes I said a 20% return. $2,000 for an S-Corp?! I had no idea! 🙄

The price for creating an LLC or S-Corp will vary depending on the state you are in. The $2K was what I had in mind for keeping things running each year. You will likely have to pay an accountant to file your taxes, you will have some sort of minimum tax (again, depending on your state) and you will have other misc. expenses for your operation. Most filmmakers budget for the film and that's it. They generally don't budget for things like: creating a trailer, creating a poster, paying an accountant, film festival submissions, building and maintaining a website, service and banking fees, etc., etc. You will show your investor you have a head for business if your budget accounts for things like this (and yes, you can do all that yourself, but...).

May luck and good fortune find you!

The price for creating an LLC or S-Corp will vary depending on the state you are in. The $2K was what I had in mind for keeping things running each year. You will likely have to pay an accountant to file your taxes, you will have some sort of minimum tax (again, depending on your state) and you will have other misc. expenses for your operation. Most filmmakers budget for the film and that's it. They generally don't budget for things like: creating a trailer, creating a poster, paying an accountant, film festival submissions, building and maintaining a website, service and banking fees, etc., etc. You will show your investor you have a head for business if your budget accounts for things like this (and yes, you can do all that yourself, but...).

May luck and good fortune find you!
Thank you IvovV, and May luck and good fortune find you too!

Thanks for the info. I think it helps others help you. I'm not up on finance myself but wondered. And your website needs a lot of work to convey this.

Back