How to gain support for your crowdfunding campaign ?

To do list:

1) Cancel the project.
2) Consider what's a reason amount of money to solicit via crowdfunding (i.e. not $3m).
3) Take the time to film a proper pitch video.
4) Take the time to write a proper pitch.
5) Take the time to put together a comprehensive budget for the new, reasonable, target.
6) Take a week's break.
7) Start up on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and a bunch of film forums.
8) Make friends!
9) Go over all your materials, taking the best bits and put them into a press release.
10) Launch your campaign again for a reasonable amount of time (i.e. not 2 months).
11) Email lots of relevant publications.
12) Post constantly on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, forums...etc.
13) Pick up the phone and call anyone who's ever given you their number.
14) Email everyone who's number you don't have.
15) Cross your fingers.

Risks and challenges

In every project you have your risks and challenges. My biggest challenge at the moment is not having the funds to make this project come alive.

This suggests you have no idea what risks and challenges are about. ;)
Take a little more time to show you are serious about the project.

Seriously, Nick sums it up.
Your page lacks a few things:
- a motivation why we should think you can do this
- a proper call to action
- any background info on you
Flexible funding is considered tacky by many people: what happens if you collect $40,- from 1 backer: what kind of DVD will (s)he get? I can't be the one you promised.

I also wonder: 5% campaign fee?
Do you mean that part IGG takes?
What you take for you effort of running a campaign?
Or what do you mean?

You need a better pitch video than 3 shots and no real call to action.
A pitchvideo for a campaign hoping to raise money for a movie is a bit of a pudding eating thing where the proof is in :P
Great video inspires confidence that you can do it and the will to support.
A pointless video (aka no obvious call to action except a youtube annotation) makes the viewer wonder what to do now.

For more inspiration:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39742 tons of posts about campaigns.

My questions to you:
- how many people did you contact already?
- how many of them did you inform before the campaign started?
- what is your current reach on social media?

Last edited:
3 million lol

You have a really bad thumbnail image on your page that wouldn't get 3 thousand.
You need to have images that are a lot more polished and professional if you're asking for 7 figures.

it's not going to happen, you need to pay your dues and put in the ground work to develop your abilities before expecting anyone to back you financially.

Risks and challenges

In every project you have your risks and challenges. My biggest challenge at the moment is not having the funds to make this project come alive.

This suggests you have no idea what risks and challenges are about. ;)
Take a little more time to show you are serious about the project.

Seriously, Nick sums it up.
Your page lacks a few things:
- a motivation why we should think you can do this
- a proper call to action
- any background info on you
Flexible funding is considered tacky by many people: what happens if you collect $40,- from 1 backer: what kind of DVD will (s)he get? I can't be the one you promised.

I also wonder: 5% campaign fee?
Do you mean that part IGG takes?
What you take for you effort of running a campaign?
Or what do you mean?

You need a better pitch video than 3 shots and no real call to action.
A pitchvideo for a campaign hoping to raise money for a movie is a bit of a pudding eating thing where the proof is in :P
Great video inspires confidence that you can do it and the will to support.
A pointless video (aka no obvious call to action except a youtube annotation) makes the viewer wonder what to do now.

For more inspiration:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39742 tons of posts about campaigns.

My questions to you:
- how many people did you contact already?
- how many of them did you inform before the campaign started?
- what is your current reach on social media?

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should redo my video, but I was trying to be care not to give away too much.

3 million lol

You have a really bad thumbnail image on your page that wouldn't get 3 thousand.
You need to have images that are a lot more polished and professional if you're asking for 7 figures.

it's not going to happen, you need to pay your dues and put in the ground work to develop your abilities before expecting anyone to back you financially.

It may not happen for me, but I'm not giving up. Most of the time the key is just having a following or a huge support system. A lot of what you're saying is just being unnecessarily rude.

It may not happen for me, but I'm not giving up.

You say it was unnecessarily rude. It looks to me like it wasn't rude enough because the message did not get through!! You are wasting your time.

Give up trying to get 3 million dollars when you are an amateur at making films.
Set a new goal for yourself that is realistic.

Maybe instead of not giving up on taking other peoples money, you should not give up on developing professional quality abilities.

There is an expression in business "Putting the cart before the horse"
Things don't work that way. The horse has to go in front. You have to put the legwork in.

Sometimes people need a reality check, it's not always pleasant but it's not unnecessary.

You say it was unnecessarily rude. It looks to me like it wasn't rude enough because the message did not get through!! You are wasting your time.

Give up trying to get 3 million dollars when you are an amateur at making films.
Set a new goal for yourself that is realistic.

Maybe instead of not giving up on taking other peoples money, you should not give up on developing professional quality abilities.

Things don't work that way. The horse has to go in front. You have to put the legwork in.

Sometimes people need a reality check, it's not always pleasant but it's not unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't always have to come out the way you're putting it. I do appreciate the feedback though and I'll definitely take it into consideration.

I don't want to be mean or rude to anyone, sorry if I was too harsh and I wish you luck.
Indie film is all about a story that can be done on a budget.

Something like $50,000 is realistic but still ambitious.

Things don't work that way. The horse has to go in front.

I'm not sure that saying is applicable in this case, the OP doesn't even have a horse yet ... or a cart! He's hoping people will give him a horse (and a cart), even though he doesn't know which order they fit together or what to do with them once they are in the right order.

Have I been rude enough yet? :)

G

Most of the time the key is just having a following or a huge support system.
Do you have a following or a huge support system?

Do you have a professionally generated line item budget for your film?

Have you managed this type on money before? Is there anyone on your
team who has managed this amount of money before?

Back