How to direct and not come off as a jerk?

I've had some experience over the past couple of years "directing" a few shorts (nothing longer than 5 minutes), and have noticed that when I hear my voice on camera giving directions to the actors, DP, and other misc. parts of the crew that I feel like I come off as a jerk.

I began directing with a total control mentality, i.e. framing every shot and micromanaging actors, but i don't think that my crew, who had seen me as an equal, enjoyed taking orders by another person. I think that this can be potentially unhealthy for promoting a team dynamic among the crew, as other members may begin to despise the director.

However, now that I have adopted more of stand-offish style--especially when working with DPs--I feel that much of the vision--especially the intended vision within the script--becomes lost.

At the moment I actually think that ONE of the problems with most Hollywood produced films is that the influx of so many visions causes a mitigation of the Director's true vision that must be realized from his script.

In the end I feel that ultimately

#1. The Director must be someone who others respect and take orders from. Or else he holds no command.
#2. The Director must be involved in (and most of the times frame each shot) with the DP. The Director should really be the DP, but the director has so many responsibilities that he cannot physically hold the camera at the same time as directing.
#3. The Director must be the editor. Most of the times I am editing my scenes in the script or during production.

At this level (the student-level) of filmmaking I think that directing is very much a delicate balance between control-freak jerkiness (although I think many directors do come off this way) and maintaining a determination for achieving the authentic vision.

I was wondering what other people on this forum think of my thoughts, and if I could get any advice on directing. I feel like this is a dilemma that many aspiring directors face. Also, when I say Director I mean Producer/Director since this is a low-budget indie project.

--Matt Kim

The script is the story.

The shooting script, thrashed out during preproduction, is the blueprint in which the director "envisions" for the cast and crew the details of how s/he (the director) wishes to visually (and hopefully sonically) tell that story. Hence the directors "vision" for the film. Since this step is often ignored by many indie film types perhaps that is why many projects come off half-baked.

Slightly OT, but as anyone ever noticed that there is no audio equivalent of the terms "view," "vision," etc.?

If you're looking to be a director who achieves exactly what he sets out to create (a fine decision, I think), you MUST not allow things to not go your way. Be it through friendship ties or a worry of upsetting a crew member, as long as you are assertive and professional with your crew and have reliable members of it, they will work hard on getting your idea onto film. You must think of them as very useful parts of a machine that you are in full control of. Not to say there aren't suggestions that can be taken from the crew members, but you must be the driving force behind it all.

I've had to compromise my own work because of a lack of willing to say my real thoughts before too, and I regretted it! I don't believe you necessarily NEED to be the DOP or editor, although having a close communication with both can be very useful. If you want to edit your own film, by all means, but a good editor can let you know what an audience might think, and where it's good to trim shots down, or keep one in. It can be a very useful tool in terms of perceptions outside of your own mind.

I use the term "Vision" all the time (and I quote it usually as well)... simply because the phrase "all of the pictures and sounds in my mind's eye" takes way to long to type over and over again.

Pretentious sounding or not, the "Vision" of the person blocking a scene, approving set design and choosing angles to be shot had better be strong in the same way that an actor knowing the "Motivation" of their character will breath life into the performance.

You don't need to treat anyone as equals. But, you need to treat them with respect. The only time you should talk down, be a jerk, or overly bossy about anything is if your ideas are being ignored.

The main thing with actors is, your idea of their emotional response or reading might be different then yours. They can interpret the material much different then you envision it. That's where your skills must come into play. Discuss the character/motivation etc with them. Most of the time you'll find they'll wholeheartedly agree with you. They just missed something. If they continue to do it their way, be forceful, but not a jerk. if you think you're being a jerk, they'll think you're being a jerk. In that case, the end result won't be what you desire.

As for the DP, they should have definitive ideas about where and how to set up the shots/lights etc... And you should listen to them. Especially if they're good at their job. I gave a lot of license to my DP, because I shouldn't be allowed near a camera. But, once you've listened, and made up your mind (one way or another) they have to listen to you. They might not be happy, but as director it's your vision being created and no one else.

You're in charge, don't forget that. But, they're not your slaves or verbal punching bags. Just think how you feel when people are bossy, mean, nasty, demeaning to you. It's no different.

I find that as long as you are firm with people but not rude they should do as they are told, at the end of the day you are the directer and what you say goes, don't try and take control of every aspect down to their speed of blinking just be calm and relaxed and people will respect you for that..

I find that as long as you are firm with people but not rude they should do as they are told, at the end of the day you are the directer and what you say goes, don't try and take control of every aspect down to their speed of blinking just be calm and relaxed and people will respect you for that..

Bit off topic, just wanted to say hi as I'm living in Sheffield too atm :)

A couple of months after I had appeared in a prison movie I ran into the guy who did my make-up for the death scene I had to do. I was surprised when he told me how much the entire crew hated the director and how poorly he treated everyone except for the acting talent.

I just don't understand how anyone could be a jerk in that regard. Especially when you're talking about an independent film that nobody's going to make a dime on.

Bit off topic, just wanted to say hi as I'm living in Sheffield too atm :)

Ive been to Sheffield to help a family member move into their dorm. they went sheffield uni there. this was 3 yrs ago and it was a brief visit. we drove a bit through town and then had some food. it was nice though.

@OP: like everyone has said, there are many variables and styles when it comes to directing.
so ill just say that if you want to be a more controlling director on the scale and then be it.
so work on sounding confident and in command instead of like a jerk (if thats how u feel how u sound).

Last edited:
Back