How to deal with flakes

Hey Guys,

How do you deal with flakes? I have a sound guy who just disappeared after I paid him. I need the recorded files, but he wont return my calls and emails. Should I have wrote some kind of contract? This was done through verbal agreement, I got his invoices, but no agreements.

Yes, as Paper said, always get it in writing. Having said that, you have the invoices to prove he did the work and a verbal agreement (which I assume would include delivery), which in some states (and this contract perhaps being under a certain monetary total), may be binding enough.

I wonder why some want to be a one man film crew ??? Some have described Robt Rodriguez as that . Not saying that you have to do it all yourself, but take steps to protect your investment. Heck at least get the memory cards at the end of the day, make your copy and then deliver to the sound person for post.

I have decided on my projects, I will trust no one w/ my video or data.. If I cannot get my footage or sound files at the end of each day... It ain't gonna happen.

Pretty easy to prevent in the future. My editor is in another state. I pay him 1/2 when he delivers the first rough cut. I pay him the other half when he returns my completed film, and any hard drives he has. I also have all that unedited footage and sound on the backup hard drive where it was dumped during filming.

Hit his FaceBook, MySpace, LinkedIn and other pages. Post on his wall asking if anyone knows what happened to him.

The filmmaking community is pretty small, even in NYC. Put out the word on this clown.

For what its worth, its a hectic time of year for many. Maybe family got in the way, called into black friday service at Starbucks.. who knows.

I know Im missing a few deadlines because of various family\weather\holiday\work issues..

Be nice until you get your footage, then take him to town. He has all the power right now.. accept it.

I am today dealing with a Flake actress. She was the lead.. now she is not in the production. I have 8 days till production and no lead actress ... *&&^%$#@!!!

Eugene,

You will find an even BETTER lead actress than the flake. I can feel it.

As it pertains to dealing with flakes... here's what happened to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGQh1qFONw
when an actor bailed on us the night before the shoot.

Got lemons?? Make lemonade! Or at least try. ;)

I thought I had my lead actress set for my upcoming short, but now she is non-responsive. I've now put up ads for an Asian actress in NYC, but have had two responses. Just two. If I opened it up to all races, I would be flooded.

Problem is, the part must be played by an Asian.

My wife is Asian. And she is hot. But she just bursts out into laughter as soon as the camera rolls. So she can't save me this time.

I have a few weeks and will try my best to find my lead actress.

I thought I had my lead actress set for my upcoming short, but now she is non-responsive. I've now put up ads for an Asian actress in NYC, but have had two responses. Just two. If I opened it up to all races, I would be flooded.

Problem is, the part must be played by an Asian.

My wife is Asian. And she is hot. But she just bursts out into laughter as soon as the camera rolls. So she can't save me this time.

I have a few weeks and will try my best to find my lead actress.

What's the age of the role? I've had great success finding enthusiastic and very capable talent on college campuses.

Back