• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to Create Interesting Shots: A Learning Thread

In another thread I posted a critique of a shot that Harmonica posted, comparing it to a shot from my short film Period Piece. It seemed like a good post to spin off into its own thread, so here it is. If you have shot you'd like critiqued, post a screen grab here and we can all point out what works and what doesn't work. I'll try not to be too harsh, but I will be honest. Sugarcoating doesn't help anyone to learn. I'd like to use this thread to help people improve on their usage of lighting and set design to create interesting imagery.

Here's a frame grab from my team's 48 Hour Film, Period Piece. I was the co-producer/co-writer/DP for the project. I'm not saying it's a perfect shot, it's not even close. In fact I actually took the frame grab to point out some flaws that we made.
x28byb.png

It is, however, a lot more interesting to look at than this frame grab from a clip Harmonica44 posted.

fz87m8.png

First off, there's depth to my image. In the foreground, you can see drink glasses and a bottle of ketchup. Then you have the two actors, the subjects of the shot. Behind, you have a table, the rest of the bar, a hallway, interesting ceiling beams, lights. All simple things on their own, but this all helps create a sense of depth and makes the frame interesting.

Now lets compare to Harmonica's shot. You have a guy crammed in a corner with a phone cord and light switch. I realize he's shooting in a house, but that just means he needs to work harder as a set designer. I'd suggest he move the actor away from the wall a bit, and have the actor on the right side of the frame. To the left of the actor have that statue, that adds something interesting to the shot. The actor is talking to someone, so maybe have this shot be over the shoulder, with the second actor's shoulder showing on the left side of the frame. On the wall add a poster, a photo, a shelf, anything. Just make it interesting. There's something on the wall in the upper left corner, but it's only barely in the shot so I have no idea what it is. Shooting in a residential location like a house doesn't mean you don't have to have set design. It means you have to work harder to get interesting shots.

Now onto the lighting. See John's face from Period Piece? It looks interesting. I'm not talking about the expression, I'm talking about the lighting. There's shadows, which always make a face more interesting. I'm not saying the dark side of his face isn't lit, it is. Even shadows need to be lit to get exposure. The shadows are just lit a few stops lower than the highlights. It's not perfectly lit, in a perfect world the highlights on his face would have been a bit darker. We were on an extremely tight schedule and didn't have time to tweak. I think the editor is actually fixing it in post for the non 48 hour cut of the film, but I'm not positive. I also would have liked to have a better hair light on the talent, but we couldn't pull it off on this shot.

Let's look at Harmonica's lighting. The subject is completely flat and evenly lit. The only shadow is under his chin. This looks extremely boring, and should be avoided at all costs. In the background I'm seeing double shadows everywhere. This can usually be avoided by using better placement of lights. As I haven't seen the whole scene I don't know what the motivation for Harmonica's light is, but I'm assuming he doesn't have one. When doing interiors it's nice to have a lamp or other practical light in the scene so the viewer knows where the light is coming from. You then base your lighting around that, and that can subconsciously explain the reasons for your lighting to the viewer.

I highly encourage people to post shots from their films. I'd like this thread to become a place where people can learn about lighting and set design. Again, I'm not trying to criticize people, I just want to help everyone learn. No one is perfect. There are two glaring mistakes from my shot that make me cringe every time I look at it. However, out of all the people I've shown the short to nobody has even noticed. Bonus points to whoever figures out what those mistakes are.

Hmm... this thread brings up an idea that I've been flirting with in my head for quite a while now. Hopefully someone can help me put words to it.

What I see in SinEater's photo and possibly some in voodoogmr's second and third photos is what I call the "Film School Look." It's an impression I get when everything in the composition looks staged (even taught to be a certain way), all the lighting looks fake, and all the actors look like they're in a college acting school. The bottom line is, they lack a personal flare, almost as if any sort of emotion or soul the film is trying to convey is being bogged down by other "stuff" -- lighting, composition, actors, equipment, etc.

This is the impression I'm getting from the photos in this thread. Some existing examples of this you can see quite clearly in these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgc7EvU1WYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiyPRqP5glY

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I'm not trying to single anyone out on the thread, but am I on the right track in seeing a bunch of meh? Good actors and good equipment and good lighting and good stories, all of which don't add up to something great?

I'd like to get some other opinions on the matter.

Last edited:
Those do both have a very flat look Pete. Nothing makes the subject pop from the background. Though the music video is better than the short.
Does it make sense what I'm going for here, though? When I look at SinEater's photo, it screams at me "film school!"

As for the music video, check out another one of her made by a guy who knows how to move his camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRPOztxXWlQ

It doesn't tell as much of a story, but still.

Does it make sense what I'm going for here, though? When I look at SinEater's photo, it screams "film school!"

As for the music video, check out another one of her made by a guy who knows how to move his camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRPOztxXWlQ

It doesn't tell as much of a story, but still.

Kind of, in the sense it's very "textbook", which isn't always a bad thing compared to some of the alternatives. It is awfully "even". The dark area behind the talent is very consistyent with smooth transitions from dark to light. It makes it look a tad contrived. The neon helps, but a practical or something is the background to break it up would maybe be nice.

Hmm... this thread brings up an idea that I've been flirting with in my head for quite a while now. Hopefully someone can help me put words to it.

What I see in SinEater's photo and possibly some in voodoogmr's second and third photos is what I call the "Film School Look." It's an impression I get when everything in the composition looks staged (even taught to be a certain way), all the lighting looks fake, and all the actors look like they're in a college acting school. The bottom line is, they lack a personal flare, almost as if any sort of emotion or soul the film is trying to convey is being bogged down by other "stuff" -- lighting, composition, actors, equipment, etc.

This is the impression I'm getting from the photos in this thread. Some existing examples of this you can see quite clearly in these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgc7EvU1WYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiyPRqP5glY

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I'm not trying to single anyone out on the thread, but am I on the right track in seeing a bunch of meh? Good actors and good equipment and good lighting and good stories, all of which don't add up to something great?

I'd like to get some other opinions on the matter.

Actually, I think these videos you've posted have cinematography far superior to those shots you're comparing them to. They're just so much more balanced.

In a later post, you compare these to a cinematographer that "knows how to move the camera". Was that just a little aside? Or, do you think the camera needs to always be moving?

Actually, I think these videos you've posted have cinematography far superior to those shots you're comparing them to. They're just so much more balanced.

In a later post, you compare these to a cinematographer that "knows how to move the camera". Was that just a little aside? Or, do you think the camera needs to always be moving?

I agree with Pete, though. They do look stagey. The light's more controlled but it's still overlit from a cinematic perspective, or at least by today's fair.

Again.... composition. Very few of the shots use available real estate effectively. Film School's a good way to put it.

Yes, I would agree, but staging isn't the job of a cinematographer. Director is calling the shots on that one. From the perspective of cinematography, I think those two links are pretty good.

Blocking isn't the job of a cinematographer. What he's seeing is composition issues. If this is where the Director wanted these actors to stand or sit, then it's the DP's job to tell you how to shoot it so that it conveys the proper message, and looks appropriate.

The term "staged" is referring to it looking... well... like a stage play, subconsciously.

Blocking isn't the job of a cinematographer. What he's seeing is composition issues. If this is where the Director wanted these actors to stand or sit, then it's the DP's job to tell you how to shoot it so that it conveys the proper message, and looks appropriate.

The term "staged" is referring to it looking... well... like a stage play, subconsciously.

I dunno, maybe it's a regional thing. You are in LA, after all. But I've never heard the word used in that context. The definition I work with is that "staging" is pretty much synonymous with "blocking", but involving more than just the positions of the cast and camera.

"Only thing that's missing to me is an eyelight"

For that shot, consider what it says to me about her and what is happening, I actually don't mind the no eyelight. The dead eyes add to the shot.
Actually, you are correct. I purposely avoided using an eyelight (or catchlight, as I call it) for this shot, as in the story, this girl is actually dead (she just doesn't want to accept it yet). So, I was trying to convey her feeling of hopelessness and loss. The problem is that I wasn't consistent with this throughout the short. Not that it really matters. I did a rough cut of this last night and I was very disappointed in my directing and photography. I'm sure the awkward cuts will distract people enough to not notice the poor lighting and blocking :D

Back