How to become a director?

I know this is a predictable question...

What are the different ways?
I know one way is to get a job as a runner and work your way up, but can anyone explain what positions you have to go through before you get a chance to direct.

Another way is to make a really good indie film, like Darren Aronofsky's Pi and pray you get noticed.

Are there any other ways?

Work on as many projects as you can in whatever position you can and watch directors at work. You will take away many lessons, both positive and negative.

And, of course, direct your own projects.

I don't think the "get a job as a runner and work your
way up" way is a way. Can anyone mention five directors
who have gotten their first directing gig this way? I know
of one. She started in the office, worked her way into
producer and then directed. But I think that's the exception.
Are there any other ways?
In the "working your way up" method there have been
writers who have become successful and then directed.
There have been studio heads who have directed.
A few DP's have managed to get directing gigs.
Even a few successful editors have gotten directing gigs.

So I guess the working your way up method has worked. But
you need to become quite successful in another field.

But I think you'll find that most directors start by directing.
Music videos, commercials, theater, shorts and no budget indie
features. Even those famous grads of film schools usually got
a directing gig not because they had a degree but because they
directed an excellent movie.

I see what you mean.

So it's pretty much, do something that pays the rent and work on films in your spare time until you get your shot at greatness.

I would love to be a director of photography or cameraman, I also really enjoy editing, but my dream is to be a director.

When I have my degree, I think I'm gonna have to try and get a more boring job like making wedding videos or maybe even a Media teachers assistant at a school or something, while trying to land a film related job, then maybe I'll have my shot.

Directorik is right. "Working your way up" from a Runner/PA position is a great way to get into production management and eventually producing, but unless you hit the producer level and then go to directing, that rarely nets Directing as a career. Hitchcock is the most (and only that I can think of) famous example of an AD becoming a Director, but that was YEARS ago and citing him as an example is like citing Stephen Hawking as an example of your average 6th grade science teacher.

Last edited:
Stop dreaming and DIRECT! If you're holding out for a shot at greatness, you might be holding out forever. DIRECT! Get a script or write your own, analyze it, storyboard it (or outline it or somehow figure out how to get your vision on your television), assemble a crew (or a producer who can handle all that), or find the proud owner of a great camera who has nothing to do with it (there are many), schedule a shoot, and DIRECT! Find a seasoned editor to help put your vision in order or do it yourself. And then you've directed. And the only other thing you'll have left to dream about is the next one (and the next one and the next one and the next one). But you won't be dreaming about being a director anymore.

And if you have a knack for directing and your skills improve, you can enter your films into festivals (there are THOUSANDS and entry has never been easier) and perhaps get noticed and perhaps someday get paid to do what you love.

Stop dreaming about it and start directing...that's what the DV revolution is all about. The tools are here and accessible...what are you waiting for?

First: have something to say.

Second: be sure you have something to say.

Third: BE sure..... bahhhhhhhhh nevermind

What you have in mind is becoming a SUCCEFUL, RITCH WELL KNOW director. And seriously making movies is not about that.

Get a camera and tell a story and learn by your self, if you are good you will get notice in festival if you have something to say, if you have a distinct voice.

And learn how the industry work. No body will teach you that, you need to be iron willed to work in this.

Good luck

Get a bunch of friends together and a camera. Shoot some stuff. Edit it. Stick it online or on a disc. Bamn! You're a director.

:)

Or better yet, PLAN on doing the above, and TALK about it a lot, but never get around to...and you're still a director.

Last edited:
Thanks

Btw, I have directed some short films and their on this forum, so it's not like I'm sitting on my ass dreaming and doing nothing. I recently dropped out of my school where I was doing my A levels to go to a college and now I'm doing a course in Media Production and I've already learned a good ammount of stuff about cinematography, editing and the industry which is really useful.

Obviously the BIG dream is to be a famous director(not too bothered about being rich, although it would be awsome) I want film buffs and critics to know my name, I wanna be able to go to IMDB.com and see people talking about my movies and fans saying I'm one of their favourite directors. I want that much more than being rich.

If I can land a job as a Director of photography or editor and continue to make my own short films for film festivals in the hope I get noticed then that would also be a dream come true. But of course that can't compare to being a famous director :P

That's great, that kind of fame would indeed probably be awesome. And it's great you've already directed and continue to study media production. But just make sure your priorities are in line. I'd be willing to bet that almost every famous director you enjoy talking about on IMDB or every famous director you are huge fan of never wasted any time dreaming about being famous. They were probably too busy honing their craft.

An old and wise professor of theatre told my beginning acting class on the first day "if you're looking for fame, get out right now. If you're looking for fame, do what John Wayne Bobbit did and have your penis chopped off by your wife."

If you are great at what you do the fame and fortune will follow.

BTW, fame is a pain in the rump. I was a member of a very popular, rather notorious regional band back in the early '80's, and any time I went out I was confronted by fans who just would not leave me alone. Rather gratifying the first week or two, a huge headache after that. I'll settle for the fortune :D.

If you are great at what you do the fame and fortune will follow.

BTW, fame is a pain in the rump. I was a member of a very popular, rather notorious regional band back in the early '80's, and any time I went out I was confronted by fans who just would not leave me alone. Rather gratifying the first week or two, a huge headache after that. I'll settle for the fortune :D.

Haha that must have gotten really annoying. I don't wanna be famous as in having paparazzi following me around and being mobbed by fans. The only director who probably gets that is Quentin Tarantino. I just wanna be a respected figure in film with people who love my movies, even if it's a niche audience.

Back