How many, and what size lenses do you use?

I am about to make my first DSLR purchase with the intent of using it mainly for video. I have been looking around to see what size lenses people recommend, but haven't been able to find anything. Do you recomment using only prime lenses, only zoom lenses, or a mixture. How many lenses do you carry? What sizes should they be; that is, should you have a wide angle lens (14-35mm) a medium angle lens (50mm) and a telephoto lens (70-300mm), or do you tend to only use one or two of the three?

Feel free to discuss the questions mentioned as well as list the lenses you currently use.

Welcome.

There's no right answer really. Personally I like to have a variety of primes ranging from ultra wide to around 160-200mm. They work great for film style shoots. Run and gun video, a fast zoom really helps. The 24-70 2.8 canon is great, as is the 70-200 2.8 counterpart.

Again, it really depends on what you're doing. Indoor or outdoor? How far away? Multiple takes? That and more. If you let us know what you're wanting to do and for how much we might be able to make some recommendations.

I will be getting either the Canon 60D or 7d so the sensor is the APS-C which I know has causes the lenses to be 1.6x their listed size. I am planning to be able to set up my shots, more like film, but I expect to have to obtain some shots run-and-gun. My plan right now is to spend under 2k for camera and lenses which leaves me $400-$800 to spend on lenses depending on the camera, but I would like to stay as low as possible initially.

Hi John!

Here are some of the lenses I own:

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (constant aperture)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (older lens... M42 mount)
Canon 85mm f/1.8

I've got a few other lenses (mostly old ones), and the kit lens, but those above are the ones I use often. Especially the 30mm. It stays on my 7D most of the time, as it behaves more like a medium lens on that cam (APS-C, as you've already pointed out).

If you go for a zoom lens, try and get a "constant aperture" (or "fixed aperture"), so you don't have changes in brightness when zooming.

Last edited:
I will be getting either the Canon 60D or 7d so the sensor is the APS-C which I know has causes the lenses to be 1.6x their listed size. I am planning to be able to set up my shots, more like film, but I expect to have to obtain some shots run-and-gun. My plan right now is to spend under 2k for camera and lenses which leaves me $400-$800 to spend on lenses depending on the camera, but I would like to stay as low as possible initially.

Let me channel Alcove.....

What about sound? a decent, not pro, not even semi-pro, just barely passable sound rig is in the $500 to $700 range.

I own TOO MANY lenses, ok no such thing, but I own a lot.
Probably 9 or 10 vintage primes mostly Yashica and Pentax, then I have a cheap Canon 28 -80 zoom, a cheap 80-300 zoom, and a 50mm 1.4

Currently I have five lenses.

A cheap, plastic wide-angle Holga that I picked up for $25 with shipping (it's basically a toy, but kind of fun to play around with).
A Helios 44-2 55mm lens (my personal favorite)
A 28mm JCPenney lens (which is actually a reasonably decent lens that I use quite a bit)
A 50mm Sears lens (which I never use)
A 135mm Sears lens (which I rarely use)

I'm using a GH1, so a 2x crop factor.

I need a wider lens than the 28mm and I'd love something in between the 55 and the 135. I'd also love to get some higher-end vintage glass, but at the moment I'm focusing on other equipment I need (sound and lighting), since the above is passable for what I'm doing.

Hi John!

Here are some of the lenses I own:

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (constant aperture)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (older lens... M42 mount)
Canon 85mm f/1.8

I've got a few other lenses (mostly old ones), and the kit lens, but those above are the ones I use often. Especially the 30mm. It stays on my 7D most of the time, as it behaves more like a medium lens on that cam (APS-C, as you've already pointed out).

If you go for a zoom lens, try and get a "constant aperture" (or "fixed aperture"), so you don't have changes in brightness when zooming.

Im trying to bid on some older lenses now...2 super tak's ASAHI SMC TAKUMAR 55mm F1.8 and a PENTAX SUPER TAKUMAR M42 SCREW MOUNT 50mm f2 LENS
but prices are going up as more discover the vintage lenses....i have been out bid for a helios several times..they are now going up around $60!
I did just win a bid last week for a HANIMAR 135mm F/3.5 LENS for $30 including shipping (i know its a piss poor constructed lens) I didnt relize it was a hanimar till after i bid..noob mistake!...it looked and they said it was in excellent condition...but we will see.

I got mine right before the prices spiked. I paid $60 for a mint 50mm 1.4 Takumar, and I think I got the 55mm 1.8 on a spotmatic body for maybe $40.

The one lens you really have to pay for is an 85mm. It was specialty lens when it was made (portrait) so they aren't as common. Pretty hard to find one for sub $300 in decent shape. I'm getting by right now with a Vivitar 105mm 2.8 that is an excellent lens, but I'd still like an 85 to sit betweeen my 55 and my 105. At some point I'll bite the bullet and pay the $300 for one. Might as well list them...

Just the vintage, all M42 mount
Yashica 28mm 2.8
Takumar 35mm 3.5
Takumar 50mm 1.4
Yashica 50mm 1.7
Takumar 55mm 1.8
Vivitar 105mm 2.8
Takumar 135mm 2.5
Takumar 135mm 3.5
Takumar 200mm 5.6

I also have a full set of Pentax primes (5 or 6 lenses) in the K mount from when I shot a lot of film, but K mount is a problematic adaptation for the 5D.

That Yashica 1.7 is a nice lens optically, but a little beat up cosmetically. I'd actually sell it for $40 shipped if anybody needs a cheap fast 50.

Last edited:
I own:

Super Takumar 50 1.4 (Exc condition $50 last April)
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 ($30)
Pentax 135mm f/3.5 ($45 in June)
Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 ($6. No, not a typo. $6. I lucked out and no-one else bid on it - the bid ended on a weeknight. I bid on it at midnight and it ended at like 4AM and my measly bid of $10 held on and it ended at $6. Shipping was twice as much as a paid for the lens, and it was being shipped from Santa Cruz or some damn place to LA. I still feel ripped-off. Oh, and I bought it like 4 weeks ago. :P)
Kit lens. Not a bad lens at all. Goes to 18. Works pretty well in daylight.

Oh and if someone tells you "if you have a 44-2, you don't need a Takumar 50 / 1.4", spit in their eye. Both lenses are extremely good and I use both of them equally as much - and they are not comparable to each other IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm definitely going for vintage lenses, and I now have a good idea about which focal lengths to get.

What camrea are you getting..for me im getting a t3i at sams club for $649 that will include 2 lenses 18-55mm and a 55-250 (or 300 mm) (not sure wich) and a bag....but anyway..im looking at the m42 screw mounts for the vintage lenses..make sure you pick up a proper adaptor...the m42 mounts (at least from my research) seem the most stable and there are options you can have on the adaptors....
Im buying a $9.00 adaptor with a senser that tells me im in focus....but there are higher end adaptors that have other options..and a $3.00 one that just lets you attach the lense and nothing more.
make sure you know what adaptor you camera can take... because when you or if you bid...there are lots of lenses out there with several types of mounts.....
good luck!

Back