• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

character How do you write an ethnic character?

Hello everyone,

I think Theodore Sturgeon said that science fiction was populated by a preponderance of American characters, so even those with exotic names tend to act and speak like Americans. Anyway, I'm fascinated by ethnic characters, such as the Irish and the Italians in "The Untouchables", as well as the Italian-Americans in the original Godfather series. I can write that my character, had a thick northern accent, or that he spoke in a guttural manner. But how else can I show his ethnicity? Perhaps in the foods he eats, I guess, but any other way?

Your help would be appreciated.

Don't forget sports and television/music. If your character is from Dublin, he'll know who Mrs Brown and all of her boys are, and he probably has a t-shirt for the Moore Street Market. If he's from Tallaght, he supports the Shamrock Rollers Irish Football team, and would spit if you mentioned that "poof soccer team", Man U. Does he have an beer tray on his wall advertising his favorite half pint (I have several ashtrays for local UK beers, and love it when someone recognizes my "John Brown's Nutty Ale" ashtray that I stole from a pub in the Yorkshire Dales). Is there a bedroom shrine to Dolores O'Riordon (of course, you don't have to be Irish to have one of those). Consequently, if he's from Norfolk, maybe he watches reruns of "Are You Being Served" or "Time Team" on Amazon Prime or YouTube, and has an autographed photo of Jensen Button. Where is your character from and how old is he/she? And just run from there. And, no, I don't expect many to understand all those references... but your audience will.

Last edited:
Don't forget sports and television/music.

Definitely! In my movie DETOURS, the main character grew up in northern NJ and lives in Manhattan - now she's moving to Florida for work. She sleeps in an old NY Mets (baseball team) t-shirt, and discusses the Tampa Bay Rays with her dad on their car trip.

This is regional rather than ethnic per se, but it goes to the same point of how to establish it.

Last edited:
Thanks, again. Yes, and I guess I can also add foods - the Italians, in our example, would eat spaghetti and use olive oil, though that is increasingly becoming generic. I guess I would say they got the virgin olive oil from their cousins in Italy. As for the Irish, of course they would drink whisky.

Thanks, again. Yes, and I guess I can also add foods - the Italians, in our example, would eat spaghetti and use olive oil, though that is increasingly becoming generic. I guess I would say they got the virgin olive oil from their cousins in Italy. As for the Irish, of course they would drink whisky.
The issue of putting in good ethnic characters is very difficult indeed. It depends on how deep the characters are involved. If it just a brief meeting, or they just fill the space - it is easier. There can be spaghetti eating Italians, or vine drinking French or Irish with Guinness.

However, that raises an important question.
Why you need those ethnic characters per se, if they just fill the scene? In other words, you don't have to have ethnic characters unless its explicitly required.

And if they are required, then it means they perform an important role. However, then you can't just write goofy Irish with Guinness. They are no longer goofy.

You have to develop the characters then with all needed depth, study the culture, language, behavioural aspects, in order to make them believable and even consult natives.

So my advise is not using ethnic characters unless absolutely required. And if yes, then do good homework.

Back