How do you keep going?

So here is a question for all you film makers out there. How do you keep going after getting horrible reviews? I have just spent some time on IMDB.com looking through some of your movie reviews and there are people out there who really just rip your works apart. How do you guys find the strength and money to do another film when people are tearing you down? I have been involved with several works and done several short films but have never had a review like some of the ones I read today. What keeps you from giving up?

My first feature film has an average 2.3 out of 10 on IMDB. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Are YOU still happy with your movie? Did you learn anything from the reviews?

Opinions are like anal orifices, everyone's got one. Yours is the one that matter most. Are your opinions swayed by the mob or do you still like something even in the face of the majority NOT liking it?

That's not to say their opinions are "wrong", but there is no absolute right or wrong with aesthetics and preferences.

For myself, I try to take something in from the criticism, learn from it, but also still retain what it is I like and didn't like of my own work. I see the flaws as clearly as anyone else can, but I can still love my movie like I do an ugly child.

Heads up, keep marching soldier. That's all you can do. Keep trying to make a better movie, but make it so that YOU are happy with it, not critics, and especially not INTERNET critics.

People feel very empowered by the Internet and the safety of being able to be vicious and cruel because of the shroud of the computer monitor and a really witty screen name. IMDB is nothing but a collection of wannabes with a shiny chip on their shoulders for bashing people who had the audacity to make a movie. In 1994 they loved CLERKS, but if that came out today, it would be the fodder of invisible critics online.

Plus, people tend to hold shorts and features to different standards. A short can get away with things that a feature would be mocked for, because a feature is competing against the big boys in Hollywood.

My first feature film has an average 2.3 out of 10 on IMDB. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Are YOU still happy with your movie? Did you learn anything from the reviews?

Opinions are like anal orifices, everyone's got one. Yours is the one that matter most. Are your opinions swayed by the mob or do you still like something even in the face of the majority NOT liking it?

That's not to say their opinions are "wrong", but there is no absolute right or wrong with aesthetics and preferences.

For myself, I try to take something in from the criticism, learn from it, but also still retain what it is I like and didn't like of my own work. I see the flaws as clearly as anyone else can, but I can still love my movie like I do an ugly child.

Heads up, keep marching soldier. That's all you can do. Keep trying to make a better movie, but make it so that YOU are happy with it, not critics, and especially not INTERNET critics.

People feel very empowered by the Internet and the safety of being able to be vicious and cruel because of the shroud of the computer monitor and a really witty screen name. IMDB is nothing but a collection of wannabes with a shiny chip on their shoulders for bashing people who had the audacity to make a movie. In 1994 they loved CLERKS, but if that came out today, it would be the fodder of invisible critics online.

Good points but don't you think it is kind of selfish to keep calling in favors and taking up people's time to make YOURSELF happy? I certainly understand having a passion for something but how long do you keep doing your passion if it is just making others unhappy?

Hey, Brooksy! You definitely need a thick skin to make movies, no matter what the budget. Even James Cameron got shit for making PIRANHA 2: THE SPAWNING. It wasn't because he was a bad filmmaker, but that he lacked time and resources. It's a good thing he didn't give up, though!

Guerrilla movies, like the ones most of us make, are much, much cheaper and have an even bigger uphill battle. 95% of the people on IMDB have no clue about what it means to shoot a feature for 20 grand. That doesn't make them wrong, though. Just a bit harsh, sometimes. In fact, if you can get your score on IMDB up, with a significant number of responses, then you are indeed doing something right. I use IMDB reviews for many of the movies I'm thinking about seeing.

I've just been informed that EXILE is being awarded by The Las Vegas international film festival. Though sales are slow, something like that is really an esteem builder.

I've done this long enough that I have a lot of confidence. I was the ace of my film classes. As a college freshman, I was awarded "Best Director" over the upper classmen. At both universities I attended, professors would take me aside and ask if they could show my work to other classes. If anything, I was getting too cocky and nothing brings you back to earth faster than getting real life reviews for a movie that you thrust upon the public! :lol: Somewhere between the accolades and a few bitter reviews is the truth.

I can show you good and bad reviews for most of my movies. Though the bad ones hurt, you need to look at them and wonder why they are bad. If there are enough of them, you can find a common thread and learn from it. It's all about getting better, isn't it? I know I could delegate a talented crew on a big production. But - can I make a great movie on a ultra-low budget???? I think I can, so I keep going, improving with each new project. As long as the will to learn and get better is there, I have no worries.

A tragedy would be making a bad movie and giving up, leaving that as your last impression. I had some old movie review books. When MAD MAX came out, the book said "Trashy, Brutal motorcycle flick with bad dubbing." Then,the ROAD WARRIOR came out. The next edition of the book praised MAD MAX, saying "Inpired predessesor to THE ROAD WARRIOR!" That got me thinking - you can actually change people's opinions on early work, if you follow up with something really good. 5 to 10 years from now will be a different perspective.

Last edited:
The proper response to criticism of any sort is to merely consider it...if the critic has a point, then you can listen and learn and adjust your approach. If they don't have a point, then what difference does it make?

If you're the type to let a critical review stand in the way of continuing to make movies then you probably aren't cut out to make them in the first place.

Criticism I can certainly handle. People giving there opinions out I can certainly handle. But reading negative review after negative review and having people just completely tear apart every aspect of the movie you did just seems difficult to keep going. I can understand making one bad movie I mean who doesn't have a bad day once in a while. But to make several that no one seems to enjoy. When is it enough?

Maybe I'll be singing a different tune when I do more and more projects and one of them gets hit pretty hard by the public.

Let me start up with a different question. Do you guys believe that people who just make terrible film after terrible film should stop because they are saturating the market with garbage? Or do you think that they have the right to make a movie no matter what the cost? I am just kind of curious as to everyones opinion when it comes to bad movies. Not trying to state anything or get anyone worked up.

I haven't gotten to reviews yet (except those on these boards, who have been kind in their thoughts). It will be interesting when if I ever get something out and I get ripped on it, how will I react. No doubt I will rant and rave, and go for a long walk, probably vow never to make another film, and what do they know anyway. I will go and grab some boston cream donuts and scarf them down. I will then come home, think about what was said. I will examine "was he ripping my vision, or my technique?" I will then learn from it, go to bed, and wake up ready to continue creating. And if the issue is more about taste rather than actual, technical stuff I can "fix", I will eventually shrug it off, and will try to be mature enough not to gloat if my film wins some awards :)

That's my guess anyway with me :)

"I can understand making one bad movie I mean who doesn't have a bad day once in a while. But to make several that no one seems to enjoy. When is it enough?"

Again, all a matter of opinion. I'm a huge fan Russ Meyer, Ed Wood and Herschell Gordon Lewis (and I can go on) and I can also enjoy a film like The Hurt Locker. Sure, the quality of story and film are not at the top of heap, but the films they made/make filled such a niche for people whom are sick of the tiresome standard. Sometimes the reviews are because people just don't "get it" and/or because it's offensive to them. Doesn't mean that everyone thinks it's a bad film.

I understand you are questioning this and you can take the criticism and reviews of others. But to allow all these things to stop you from creating your dreams is only excuse for you not to continue on. I'm just glad they keep on making them and I hope for their continued success. There is never an instance where failure is a bad thing, they are there to learn from.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

First, let me say that I really like the sentiment that Scoopicman has communicated. Kudos to all of that.

We must also consider our audience. For example, I HATE Rob Zombie movies. Every one of them is absolutely worthless to me, and I've regretted every minute I've ever spent watching one. Also, they tend to get bad reveiws from aggregate sites like rottentomatoes. However, there is no question that Rob Zombie has a large, loving audience. Critics and general viewers be damned -- a lot of people like what he does. In the same respect, I can point out the "Star Trek: Next Generation" movies. Critics, and general audiences alike, think "Nemesis" is one of the poorest of all "Star Trek" movies. I, however, rank it just slightly behind "Wrath of Khan", a movie it obviously drew inspiration from.

My point? Just because you don't please the masses, that doesn't mean you haven't found a niche audience, and I think there's a lot of worth in offering variety to those who crave it.

For the second public screening of Macbeth 3000 we had a decent enough turnout and there was one sweet old woman who came in because she "saw the commotion and wanted to see what it was about".

As the film ended, she walked up to us (the main cast/crew) and exclaimed "That was just the worst movie I have ever seen... what a waste of time..." and she walked away.

We cracked up. Finally, somebody who actually GETS it!

Needless to say there are as many positive as negative things in the world. Enjoy the positive, laugh at the negative and learn from both.

Well I certainly thank everyone for the time and thought. It was a good conversation. I have my own ideas and thoughts concerning this subject, just wanted to get everyone else's opinions. Here is a quote I found. Enjoy.

I sat cringing before MGM’s Technicolor production…which displays no trace of imagination, good taste, or ingenuity…I say it’s a stinkeroo.

Film critic Russell Maloney in The New Yorker, reviewing The Wizard of Oz in 1939

Good points but don't you think it is kind of selfish to keep calling in favors and taking up people's time to make YOURSELF happy? I certainly understand having a passion for something but how long do you keep doing your passion if it is just making others unhappy?

Keep doing it until no one will help you. If no one will take the time to help you, it's out of your hands. Until then, keep making movies until you can't make them or don't want to.

brooksy, if I worked for reviews, I guess a bad review would bother me. I like creating what's in my head and delivering more than a client asked for though. I take pride in doing that and feel a rush each time. Keeps the bills paid. If a bad reviewer thinks they could do better, I truely think they should.

For that matter even scriptwriting .Being an Indian writer i was given many nasty comments.
People blantly asked me to write for Bollywood , but I had only one goal and that is to succeed.
This is not that I ignore suggestions. I take all good suggestions which develop me and the nasty suggestions , as not to write I leave it out.
Likewise pl take positive suggesions and ignore the bad.
padma

Back