• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do they do this???

How do you keep a Steadi-cam shot in focus? I am assuming that you want to avoid touching the focus ring while using the steadi-cam device as that will cause unwanted motion in the camera. Is the camera on auto-focus during these shots? If so, that brings me to my next question, what happens when the person being filmed is in the side of a frame and the camera auto-focuses on the background in the center of the frame causing the foreground to go out of focus?

For example, what if I wanted the camera in front of someone and have them walking toward the camera with the cameraman moving backward at the same pace. How can you keep the walking man in focus if he's not in the center of the shot ?

Thanks!

i dont know for sure, but i would imagine that if you had the subject in focus to begin with, and the subject and the camera move together, then it would stay in focus. just a guess

You rack focus or focus to infinity just like with any professional camera move. NO auto-focus.

I remember Steven Spielberg saying on one of his old films, there was a super long shot of one chick walking, and the camera op just tied a string off camera to the girl and to himself so he knew he was always the right distance.

Maybe there is a more modern way to do this, but I wouldn't know. This just sounds like it's a pretty simple and cheap way that would work.

I remember Steven Spielberg saying on one of his old films, there was a super long shot of one chick walking, and the camera op just tied a string off camera to the girl and to himself so he knew he was always the right distance.

Maybe there is a more modern way to do this, but I wouldn't know. This just sounds like it's a pretty simple and cheap way that would work.

I did something similar once. Had a long dolly shot of 3 actors walking down a hallway, camera shooting backward toward their faces. We tied a piece of rope to the dolly so it would drag along behind to give the dolly grip a distance reference.

During one take, the grip slowed down a bit too much and the middle actor stepped on the rope, which yanked his foot out from under him and he went crashing out of frame, mid-sentence. :lol:

Blooper reel!

I can see a cheap home depot laser level the kind that projects a line on the wall for hanging pictures... being employed in a similar fashion to the drag rope.. a "moving" mark if you will..

Or heck, one of those cheapo ultrasonic tape measures duck taped to the dolly and pointed at the actors center of mass.. the grip just watches the screen and keeps the dolly at the right number..

I can see a cheap home depot laser level the kind that projects a line on the wall for hanging pictures... being employed in a similar fashion to the drag rope.. a "moving" mark if you will..

Or heck, one of those cheapo ultrasonic tape measures duck taped to the dolly and pointed at the actors center of mass.. the grip just watches the screen and keeps the dolly at the right number..

Those are great suggestions.

Back