How Do I Get This Look?

I am a total beginner with cameras. I'm working in an athletics department at a college and will be filming sports both inside and outside, interviews and short stories. They have asked my equipment needs. Currently, we have FLIP HD cameras. I did a couple of projects with footage from the FLIP - I can edit - but, at the end of the day, I know the way the footage looks is going to matter and I don't think the Flip will cut it.

One thing I like about the Flip is that I don't have to digitize footage and it's really easy, of course. I think my total camera budget is going to be under $2000.00, maybe even less. I want my footage to look like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSj93X7IzHk&feature=related

or this...

http://devour.com/video/a-very-zombie-holiday/ - without the vintage, grainy effect.

Can I do that on a limited budget? What equipment do I need?

Thank you so much for any help!!!

Last edited:
"This video was shot on an HVX-200 with a Redrock Micro M2 lens adapter. If you want a similar or better look I would suggest buying a Redrock Micro M3"

That's what it says on the YouTube page.

So you will need HVX-200 with a Redrock Micro M2 lens
adapter to get that look. Well that and some experience
and talent and understanding of the camera, the lenses
and lighting.

I'm assuming you are looking for a very shallow depth of field.
That's what everyone wants these days. So check out the
various DSLR cameras available too.

I think for sports DSLR are still not up to it. The canons have a 12 min take limit, for sports you might need longer.

A good HD prosumer camcorder that does OVER CRANKING might be a better choice. You can find great 35mm adapters used for cheep now. With one of those, you can do that high cinema with the shallow DOF etc too.

I think for sports DSLR are still not up to it. The canons have a 12 min take limit, for sports you might need longer.

Additionally, for the actual sports I would think there'd be lots of fast panning to follow the action - lots of jello.

For about $800 you can get a Canon HV40 (or the tapeless equivalent model) for which RedRock makes a 35mm adaptor. You'd still need to pick out a few lenses, but it would be less than the budget 2k, I'm sure.

Edit: It might be Letus, not Redrock, that made the one that fits the HV40.

Last edited:
I kinda missed the sports thing.

I thought you wanted to shoot music videos that looked like the clip you
posted. What you DON'T want is a shallow DOF or a DSLR - not for shooting
sports.

How much under the $2,000 do you think you will have? Is that for everything?
Mic, boom, tripod, lights for the interviews?

Even if you buy the exact same equipment used in these clips your footage won´t look even near this for weeks, months or maybe years to come.
Shallow DOF, fast paced movement, manual focus and novice operator is a foolproof recipe for useless footage.

Get a decent camcorder (hv40 or equivalent will do just fine as a step up from a flip cam) and forget about film look in sports until you have some serious experience in focus pulling.

Okay, why is nobody talking about the videos? Am I the only person who laughed my ass off watching them? I want your Jyne?! Too funny.

I don't really see any similarities between the two aesthetics, except that they're both well-lit. So, start practicing your cinematography -- I don't think it's the camera that made the difference here.

Okay, why is nobody talking about the videos? Am I the only person who laughed my ass off watching them? I want your Jyne?! Too funny.

I don't really see any similarities between the two aesthetics, except that they're both well-lit. So, start practicing your cinematography -- I don't think it's the camera that made the difference here.

I agree with C.Funk.. if u have a good DOP and a good Editor (u can be both of them yourself), you'll get this look just by well lit and do it in post production.. camera will not be a big issue then..u need to get a HD camera to get the better image quality..

u already know about shallow depth of field..and like they said, u have to pan fast to shoot sporty thing..i think what u want is to get some interview of sport-related-people and u want to apply the shallow DOF (like 0.22 in zombie vid, or 0.24/0.40/goes on in the first one) in ur video.. tell me if i'm wrong..
i think, u can do it with a dSLR w/ some good lenses...once again i don't think u can do the past panning with dSLR when it comes about shooting the sports ..

you actually want a decent camcorder with good lens with what u can do the fast panning and have the shallow DOF ..now, i'm sorry i can't recommend u any..

Last edited:
I kinda missed the sports thing.

I thought you wanted to shoot music videos that looked like the clip you
posted. What you DON'T want is a shallow DOF or a DSLR - not for shooting
sports.

How much under the $2,000 do you think you will have? Is that for everything?
Mic, boom, tripod, lights for the interviews?

Wow. Thank you all so much for the great responses! After reading all the posts, I do think that what I want is clarity, crisp video and good sound.

$2000.00 will be the overall budget for all camera equipment. Here are some suggestions I have received for cameras. Any thoughts on these?

Sony HXR-MC50U Ultra Compact Pro AVCHD Camcorder

Cannon 60D with a Tungsten Basic Lighting and Audio-Technica AT-897 Shotgun Kit, some reflectors

Panasonic AG DVX 100BP

Sony NEX-VG10 Handycam camcorder

Panasonic DV PROLINE AG-DVX100A Camcorder - 410 KP - 10 x optical zoom

Canon HV40

Again, THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:
I know you're a total beginner with cameras - each of the cameras
you mention will give you clarity and crisp video when used properly.
Add a good mic and learn to use that well and you'll get good sound.

The reason the videos you posted look the way they do isn't just due
to the camera. The people using the camera have a lot to do with the
look. I like the Sony HXR-MC50U. the Panasonic DVX (either one) are
great cameras and I'm a big fan of the Canon HV40. I've used all of
them. You will be happy with any of them.

Back