• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How Can I Fix The Gun?

Short of calling back the actress to reshooting this shot with the gun repainted, is there any way in post to fix the gun?

The_Gun_1.jpg

We may have to do it with another camera and DP. So, if there is a way in post, I'm all ears.

Nerf guns work great. I have a whole aresnal. Painted a few and they look realistic. No chipping and such. There is paint you can get at Home Depot, and such. Quick drying and such. A little sticky when it drys at first but shortly evens out fine.

Nerf guns work great. I have a whole aresnal. Painted a few and they look realistic. No chipping and such. There is paint you can get at Home Depot, and such. Quick drying and such. A little sticky when it drys at first but shortly evens out fine.
Do you use regular Home Depot Krylon or that special spray paint for plastic?

The Home Depot paints are better than the ones they sell in art supply stores now.

There are chop busters out there. So, I'm looking to make every shot as perfect as possible. Chipped paint is a no-no.

Ozhair was right about color removal. It's just done with the greenscreen tools of Color Chromer Keyer, using the eye dropper tool and some fast pan around imperfections.

The Home Depot paints are better than the ones they sell in art supply stores now.

There are chop busters out there. So, I'm looking to make every shot as perfect as possible. Chipped paint is a no-no.

Ozhair was right about color removal. It's just done with the greenscreen tools of Color Chromer Keyer, using the eye dropper tool and some fast pan around imperfections.

Good stuff man. How did it turn out?

P.S. not too late for lens flares. lol

I'm rendering a new version now it may take a few hours as the video is getting longer and longer.

Because of shades of yellow, the eyedropper tool isn't a perfect color remover. So, between fast cuts and the Robo Vision, it will be less noticable.

Here is the fix with the fast cut stills:

Gun2.jpg

Gun3.jpg

The gun from a new angle from the cyborg's POV and the laser is shot. You do get to see the gun before the shot for a few brief seconds. I just wasn't fast enough to hit the picture button as the video played.

Gun4.jpg

Part of the cyborg on fire of super heat before an amazing recovery

GailonFire.jpg

Last edited:
What software do you have available?

Blender has a node compositor and you should be able to put a video on a plane as a texture, then send that through the node compositor and use the color features in there to correct it for free (just a little extra work... and no way to matte the image, which could be problematic).

I have both Blender and Photoshop. There will be less frames to deal with now, since I cropped most of it away and am using more angles for the shot than before as shown above.

Thanks for the tip. I still have to learn how to use Blender. I am getting better with Photoshop.

They are all cropped in these last 3 video captures.

They are at 720 X 1280 at 25 fps.

I will take a look at them on a bigger screne tonight. I cut a DVD of the whole rough cut to watch on my HD TV tonight.

Some frames can appear blurry when captured. It is better to watch the video playback. So, I'll do that tonight. I will also make a clip of the whole scene for vimeo that will be PW protected later to view for bugs.

Back