• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How Can I Fix The Gun?

Short of calling back the actress to reshooting this shot with the gun repainted, is there any way in post to fix the gun?

The_Gun_1.jpg

We may have to do it with another camera and DP. So, if there is a way in post, I'm all ears.

yeah, I'm thinking take a pic of the gun at the same angle and motion track it. But I dont even know if it would look good or if it would even be worth the effort.

or pull a JJ Abrams

LENS FLARES!!!!!!!!!

lens flares fix everything. In fact you dont even need actors or scenes as long as you have enough lens flares.

I was joking before about the lens flares... but I actually think its your best bet now that I think about it. Use a solar lens flare or something from over the actors shoulder, wash out the scene with some light flare action and then you also get a dramatic look.

See if your software has a "Color Replace" function. Put a mask around the gun, select yellow as the colour to replace, and replace it with black. The mask is so that it doesn't replace yellowish bits of surrounding foliage.

The closest thing I have to a color replace function with Vegas is the NewBlue Color FixIt plug-in. And, it does not replace an individual color. It changes the whole color scheme to correct an overall look to make the clip look like it belongs indoors, outdoors, in an inferno, and so on.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was worth a shot.

My God.
I was just looking at that exact same Nerf pistol this morning at Dollar General.
41BiK8PCY3L.jpg

If you've shot this in 1080p you should be able to pull up this sequence frame by frame, right?
Could you use a simple image editor like Photoshop and just clone paint those little parts back to being right in each frame?

BTW, I was thinking of using the spray paint specifically designed for plastic, like lawn chairs and such.
Did you use that or just regular spray paint?
If regular, think if you had roughed the surface with fine grade sand paper the paint would have adhered better?

I think I found a solution.

Select the Sony Color Chromer Keyer Special Effect. Select the color eye drop tool and touch it on the yellow on the gun and adjust the high and low values until the yellow vanishes and the rest of the picture snaps back in.. Just put some solid black under it as a second video layer.

It looks like it will work. I'm rendering the clip now to be sure.

Last edited:
If you've shot this in 1080p you should be able to pull up this sequence frame by frame, right?
Could you use a simple image editor like Photoshop and just clone paint those little parts back to being right in each frame?

Yes, but that would be incredibly time-consuming, and unless you're already a pro in photoshop, it's not gonna look like you imagine it. A re-shoot would be 1000 times easier.

Frankly, it's not worth worrying about. This is easy to notice in the still photo, but in the live footage, I would never pick that out, unless I was trying really really hard. I don't think your audience is that nit-picky, and if they are, they can fuck off.

Back