Hostility

Apology accepted.

Back to the topic. I too feel that the quality of discussion has gone down. I don't feel that that it is due to hostility though. Maybe I'm simply getting bored with this site.

If I ever come across as hostile: I apologize.
Sometimes I can be 'smart ass' or a bit short.
But I try to give advice that fits the level and resources of the OP. Sometimes it's not the most professional sloution, but I figure it should work above anythig else.
'There is no point in playing beautiful soccer when the opponent scores more goals, because they play more effectively'.

And to our own SEO-H44: I sometimes try to motivate him... :P
I even gave him 3 very short stories to try to make something out of it.

But yes, there is a fine line between giving feedback to help someone and bonecrushing grinding dreams to smitherines. Sometimes it's just in suggesting vs. stating.
I've seen a few new posters getting bonecrushed in an unnecessary manner.
(Like saying over and over again that there is no story, while the OP stated already that there is no story. Meaning he probably wants more feedback about he imagery than the story.)
This can be avoided by constructing feedback in the following way:

- say what you think was good (and why)
- say what you didn't like (and why)
- say what you think could improve the (next) video.

Maybe everybody is on edge, because indiefilm business is getting harder and harder? :P

Me too. If I come off as short (I am by the way), or an ass, it's probably because I feel like the indie film world is crushing my soul and turning my life into fish food. It's definitely nothing personal.

'There is no point in playing beautiful soccer when the opponent scores more goals, because they play more effectively'.

Walter, Walter, Walter... My dear Walter. How could you possibly go and say something like that??? You think some little kid in some third world country, growing up before youtube, cared that Germany beat The Netherlands 2-1 in 1974, or do you think they watched a tape of Johan Cruyff after lunch, and then took the ball to the field to try to mimic something like that. There is every point in playing beautiful soccer. Yes, I root for the Germans nowadays in the world cup, because they win so much, but man it was something else watching old tapes of Brazilian teams from the 60s, 70s, or the 80s. That beautiful thing is gone now. Now everybody tries to play like Germany (I love the Germans. Please no hate mail). Even the US hired Klinsmann (which I think was a very good thing, although I disagreed in the beginning).

- say what you think was good (and why)
- say what you didn't like (and why)
- say what you think could improve the (next) video.

+1 to all the above ideas. Another thing to do before dissecting someone else's film, lighting, story, sound and what not, might be to look at one's own films, right before writing that critique. It might just make one a tad more humble, before dispensing advice.

Good thread Nick.

Tut, tut, tut Walter. You need to start watching Cruyff videos on youtube as punishment before you utter such words about soccer again my friend. Easy punishment for any Dutchman, I would think. Next time you feel this kind of desperation, you are sentenced to watching another Cruyff video on youtube, to stabilize your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Plese2FhlU

Last edited:
I think the reason most IT'ers are negative toward newcomers is because they usually just drop in to promote a short film, then never return again. Or make a film again

This is a very valid point - As of late I've seen an increasing number of posts by accounts made specifically to promote/spam their work once, and then never coming back to Indietalk.

LOL!
Remember this: most of the time Cruijf combined beautiful soccer with being the most effective.
That is the best situation you can have. A killer combo!
As a former soccer player I've seen (wannabe) beautiful soccer both win and lose.

Besides all that: Cruijf is also some kind of 'filosopher' saying stuff like:
'You can only win if you score more goals than your opponent' and 'You can only get it when you understand it'.

But if you need to learn AE for another 4 years to 'fix' a minor error in post, or if you need to spend more than you can afford to do it the official professional way, you are defeating yourself by being not effective. In that case nobody will see it.

This is a very valid point - As of late I've seen an increasing number of posts by accounts made specifically to promote/spam their work once, and then never coming back to Indietalk.

Nah, that phenomenon is old as time. The only difference is now they are asking for money for their crowdfunding.

I promise that if I ever post a crowdfunding link here it will be for you guys to watch sausage being made and not to panhandle my friends.

Panhan... No! I mean "Pre-selling" DVDs, bonus features, accouterments, and credits.

Surely you guys wanna watch that, right?

Hmm... I'm wondering if one of the bonus features should be a para-documentary of the panhandling - I MEAN "CROWDFUNDING!" - of friends, family, and strangers to fund my folly?

Hmm...

Lord knows THAT would probably be more entertaining than the film itself.
Certainly would have more value.

Think I could include twenty-five bucks worth of education alone in a feature film's bonus tracks?

Hmm... how much does a film school credit hour cost these days... ?

http://www.collegeview.com/schools/new-york-film-academy/tuition
$30k divided by...

http://www.nyfa.edu/about/college_credit.php
32.5 hrs for One Year Filmmaking

= $923 per NYFA credit hour.

Oh, hail, sh!t, yeah.
I can make a bonus doc on crowdfunding worth some of that.

Kinda makes you wonder about the "value" of a creditable education vs. the consumer value of the products you can produce with it. :lol:

"I spent $120,000 on an education to make a $2,000 in value film that cost $200,000 to make!"
Idiot.

(EFFFFF MEEEEE! Amongst my admitted litany of stupid posts [I plead nolo] I probably HAVE contributed AT LEAST several thousand dollars NYFA-esque worth of research to this site.
Hmph.
Interesting.

"I'm a valuable IT member! I'm a valuable IT member!"
"Shaddap! You're a goddam idiot, Ray!"
"Waaaaa."
)

:D:cool:

Back