• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Horror Filmmaking

I see a lot of talented people on this site daily from all different skill bevels and genres but I haven't seen too much horror. I know it may be tacky to some but just figured I would throw up a flag and see if anyone else is interested in horror filmmaking and what makes a good horror movie. Basic discussion I guess but I come from a mostly comedy background with a strong love of horror films and my crew and i finally got to make a horror short in 2017 that I'm pretty proud of. It was our first try at something with so many gore gags and moving parts so even with it being not so perfect I love it to death. It's kind of an homage to slasher movies from the 80's so kind of a horror comedy! Check it out if you have time! Also looking forward to talking shop with you and checking out some stuff if you have it!
Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post but it seems fitting!

Last edited:
I don't enjoy watching horror films... but sometimes i think about making one.
I think maybe I would make an awesome one because it would be a horror film i actually like.
Other times I think maybe I'd make a terrible one because i dont really watch the genre

Yea, I get that. I'm a horror fan with a very select list of favorites because it's hard to hit all the check marks for me lol

Horror is a hit and miss genre for me. I'm not that into slashers or comedy horrors unless there's a really good story propping it up. A lot of them are pretty corny and predictable. If they rely on jump scenes to get a reaction then it's not a good movie as far as I'm concerned.

I like the supernatural and psychological horrors more. Also, the found-footage style horrors can be quite good when there's that realistic edge that keeps you in the moment. Really enjoyed "As Above So Below". The claustrophic theme in the catacombs was something very relatable and made me as anxious as any of the other scary moments, it kept me gripped throughout.

I am actually working on a horror screenplay. It's more along the lines of a Saw/Hannibal/Seven story. I've written a short for it and have an outline for a series but am still in the development stages.

I like fantasy style horror's, or horror films with a psychological spin to them. The Vvitch was great, and so was Crimson Peak (the first half). I think it spawned from playing horror in video games like Silent Hill and Siren.

To this day, games are still the best place to find supernatural and fantasy style tales. The newer Blair Witch game is a great example.

I come from a mostly comedy background with a strong love of horror films and my crew and i finally got to make a horror short in 2017 that I'm pretty proud of.

It started out rough around edges - more video than cinematic, but then the more I watched, the better I was liking it. The ice cream man character is hilarious. His masked cohort was good, too. Wow, you have a lot of extras, which was impressive. My favorite parts were the fudge rumper brain freeze and the very end, with the ice cream and final shot. Overall, this was really ambitious and pretty entertaining. Good job.

I see a lot of talented people on this site daily from all different skill bevels and genres but I haven't seen too much horror.

I've posted a few sci-fi/horror projects. I've also scored some slasher movies. Here are some Indietalk threads with my horror stuff:

BUG COMPLEX Perhaps my favorite short.
ENTITY WITHIN
THE HAG IN THE HILLS
SCREAMIN' DEMON
Shoot The Monster Creature montage from my movie, EXILE
TERRARIUM aka WOTP. Another space monster movie.
AXEMAS 2 Music score
POOL PARTY MASSACRE Score

Last edited:
Horror is a hit and miss genre for me. I'm not that into slashers or comedy horrors unless there's a really good story propping it up. A lot of them are pretty corny and predictable. If they rely on jump scenes to get a reaction then it's not a good movie as far as I'm concerned.

I like the supernatural and psychological horrors more. Also, the found-footage style horrors can be quite good when there's that realistic edge that keeps you in the moment. Really enjoyed "As Above So Below". The claustrophic theme in the catacombs was something very relatable and made me as anxious as any of the other scary moments, it kept me gripped throughout.

I am actually working on a horror screenplay. It's more along the lines of a Saw/Hannibal/Seven story. I've written a short for it and have an outline for a series but am still in the development stages.

I'm a huge fan of found footage. I'm the only one in my group who is so my pitches for found footage films go unanswered or with confused looks most of the time lol. "As Above So Below" is fantastic for what it is. Also, I would love to check out your script sometime.

I like fantasy style horror's, or horror films with a psychological spin to them. The Vvitch was great, and so was Crimson Peak (the first half). I think it spawned from playing horror in video games like Silent Hill and Siren.

To this day, games are still the best place to find supernatural and fantasy style tales. The newer Blair Witch game is a great example.

I also play a lot of horror games and I'm playing through The Blair Witch now. The outlast series has to be the most horrific I have played though.

It started out rough around edges - more video than cinematic, but then the more I watched, the better I was liking it. The ice cream man character is hilarious. His masked cohort was good, too. Wow, you have a lot of extras, which was impressive. My favorite parts were the fudge rumper brain freeze and the very end, with the ice cream and final shot. Overall, this was really ambitious and pretty entertaining. Good job.

I've posted a few sci-fi/horror projects. I've also scored some slasher movies. Here are some Indietalk threads with my horror stuff:

BUG COMPLEX Perhaps my favorite short!
ENTITY WITHIN
THE HAG IN THE HILLS
Shoot The Monster Creature montage from my movie, EXILE
TERRARIUM aka WOTP. Another space monster movie.
AXEMAS 2 Music score
POOL PARTY MASSACRE Score
Thanks! There are a lot of things I wish we did differently. Some stuff was cut or changed for time and budget but I'm pretty happy overall. I produced and did the story as well as playing Marky because some of the cast dropped out. I'll check out your stuff today!

I'm a huge fan of found footage. I'm the only one in my group who is so my pitches for found footage films go unanswered or with confused looks most of the time lol. "As Above So Below" is fantastic for what it is. Also, I would love to check out your script sometime.

I posted the short horror script I created on another thread here a while ago. link show below if you want to take a look.

OMG guys I was thinking about writing a script about a ghost last night and the kitchen faucet turned itself on the EXACT second the word ghost entered my head. What a mind fuck.

It's a two month old faucet with a motion sensor for hands free washing.
Never turned itself on like that before.

I dont believe in ghosts but I got a chill down my spine 😄

Nice do you ever play any VR? Bc its like 10x scarier in virtual reality.
some people cannot even handle the jump scares. Theyll buy a game and then tear off the headset and are too scared to play again

oooh there are some crazy scary VR games. Even Richie's Plank and The Climb are scary for some people afraid of heights.

The one that makes all my family/friends crap themselves is Dreadhalls.

Back