Hobby filmer needs help

Hello,
I make films for myself, friends and family. So I am not a professional. By signing up here, I was hoping to have some questions answered regarding editing software. Thank you

Hello,
I am not a pro but I find myself spending more and more time with making small films and friends and family give good feedback. That motivates me to do more...
For that I need a program with more functions. If I use google for that, I mostly get ads, so I want to ask impartial professionals.
Right now I use Avidemux. I don't know if that qualifies as video editing software but it did what I needed up until now: Cut videos at I-frames, join files with identical codec, remove unnecessary audio streams and turn the video 180°.
What I need in addition: Change playback speed, tune brightness and contrast, crop the picture...all that without making the quality worse (if possible).
Video editing software can ba a bit overwhelming for amateurs with limited time. So I am looking for the least complex solution, that can do the mentioned things.
Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks! That looks quite complex and overwhelming to me but maybe it's manageable for the basic stuff I want to do. I will look into it.

Thanks! That looks quite complex and overwhelming to me but maybe it's manageable for the basic stuff I want to do. I will look into it.
if you spent one day just watching that guy work you would have enough pattern recognition to do all the basics. It’s literally the same moves over and over again every time. Then one or two unique touches

Last edited:
Hello,
I am not a pro but I find myself spending more and more time with making small films and friends and family give good feedback. That motivates me to do more...
For that I need a program with more functions. If I use google for that, I mostly get ads, so I want to ask impartial professionals.
Right now I use Avidemux. I don't know if that qualifies as video editing software but it did what I needed up until now: Cut videos at I-frames, join files with identical codec, remove unnecessary audio streams and turn the video 180°.
What I need in addition: Change playback speed, tune brightness and contrast, crop the picture...all that without making the quality worse (if possible).
Video editing software can ba a bit overwhelming for amateurs with limited time. So I am looking for the least complex solution, that can do the mentioned things.
Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The big three used to be (in this order):

Avid
Final Cut
Premiere Pro

These days Final Cut has fallen out of favor and Resolve has snuck in there. I've been playing with Resolve a few times a week lately. It's a bit of a clunky mess but it's ok.

> crop the picture...all that without making the quality worse (if possible).

A technical impossiblility. You will always lose something if you punch in. Whether you can see the difference or live with the result is more the answer you need to work out.

Least complex is something that depends on you. The more the software can do, the harder it'll be to learn it all. Talking with editors won't help you in this regard. We don't care about simplicity or ease of use. We only care if it can do what we need to tell the story. We engrain it in our soul through repetition. Premiere Pro has the gentler learning curve.

Try them, see if you can figure it out. If not, move on to the next. If you can't figure any of them out, google to see if you can find some random person out there has figure out a solution that suits you better.

Back