• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help with Title! Indiana Jones Parody

Hey Everyone,
I recently finished my first short film, Forsaken Road, which we are releasing on our website this Friday. Anyway I've been sitting on a quite hilarious slapstick Mel Brooks-esk script parodying Indiana Jones for awhile, and I'm going to make it. One problem, I can't think of a good name for the Indiana Jones character. It has to basically rhyme with Indiana Jones in some way, so it's extremely obvious. Montana something maybe? Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Montana Bones? You get the rhyme, a state as his first name and a reference to archaeology… not so sure about the heroine shouting "Monty!", though :)

Indiana Phones

He has a cell phone instead of a whip, and whenever there's trouble, he tries to call someone. The whole thing could be him getting killed over and over while trying to call random friends for advice on how to pass traps etc.

Indiana Phones

He has a cell phone instead of a whip, and whenever there's trouble, he tries to call someone. The whole thing could be him getting killed over and over while trying to call random friends for advice on how to pass traps etc.

hahahaha that is fantastic! I wouldn't want to actually kill him over and over, but I can picture some absolutely hilarious scenes of him calling for help.
If I use that, I'll credit you, that's great!

"Hi, can you hear me, This is Indiana, we met at the administrative fundraiser last year

Look, You're a CPA right, I've got this vine hanging over a chasm that I need to get across

Listens for a moment

What the hell is personal liability insurance?

Listens for a moment

Well how the hell am I supposed to know the tensile strength of some random vine?

Listening

I dont know, 200 feet deep, it's pretty nasty compared to your standard Chasm

listening, getting annoyed,

I can't do that Troy, look, the union won't let us take the construction crews into the forbidden jungle of death, something about malaria, I really wasn't listening

I'm just gonna jump for it, this is taking too long

listening

Strongly advise? Look Troy, I'm the adventurer here, what the hell does some accountant know about adventuring anyway?

listening

What do you mean I called you? Ok I mean technically yeah, but you've been doing most of the talking.

listening

Screw this, bloody armchair quarterbacks

(jumps at the vine and misses it, plummeting to his death)"

I'm liking Nate's idea with a series of shorts in which he dies in most if not all of them (similar to the early Aeon Flux shorts). Lots of room to play with that. Have the person he calls actually help him through the trap...only they get distracted talking about other things and Indiana stumbles into a more obvious and simple trap. Have him drop his phone, and go through a series of VERY convoluted and complex traps to get it back, to call someone who fails to get him through the next trap. Have him call his rival archeologist/treasure hunter who, of course, is no help because he's after the same prize. Indiana gets the girl and the prize, but looses both while distracted by a phone call. And, of course, an incident and/or running gag with a really annoying ring tone...

Awesome idea. Get to work on more scripts, Nate! ;)

Here's a video I did when I was a director at Machinima.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgtDXfNhBFU

It has a fun sequence at the end credits that shows like 1000 deaths.

As far as writing, I'll be working on the Deathworld script for some time (writing in nuance, the script is already finished by Sci-fi legend Harry Harrison)

Don't forget to throw in some scenes where he tries to call for information when an animal charges him or a room is shrinking. I also think it would be really funny for him to get one of those fake answering machine messages that sounds like the person is actually answering the phone, during some horrific situation of danger.

Back