helms deep or minas tirith?

am i a part of a small population when i say the two towers is my favourite lord of the rings film?

it always seems that two towers is the least favourite.
i love the whole trilogy (who don't?), but what makes fellowship better than towers? or king better?

for me, the battle for helms deep is the clincher and ultimate decider. It is unbelievable!
i think helms deep is better than minas tirith..

your thoughts?

helms deep or minas tirith?

I never get into discussions what what is "better". But I will
tell you "The Two Towers" is my favorite of the three.

My memory of "The Two Towers", is being 11 years old, sat in the picture-house with my friends, and being dared to throw a "Cola cube" (It's a hard sugared candy about the size of a dice) back into the crowd. I refused. Why waste the sweets? Plus, i had a football final the following Sunday, and i couldn't risk being grounded.

So, my friend, spurred on the battle scenes no doubt, throws -with a tad too much gusto- a couple Cola cubes. A shriek, a yelp, and a few cuss words later, we discovered that one of the missiles had struck somebody in the eye. The lights where turned on, the picture stopped. The victim and soon-to-be-cyclops was no-one other than my friends mother, the same friend who had conjured the plan.

His Mother was on a date, by the way. I don't believe she ever saw him again.

I'll have to re-watch the Trilogy to give my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Personally: Fellowship, hands down.

It has:

a) The Dark Riders sequence (on horseback, not those dragon-things :rolleyes: ).

and

b) The Mines of Moria sequence (best battle scene in the trilogy, IMO).

For me, those 2 sequences epitomize the brilliance of LOTR.

My memory of "The Two Towers", is being 11 years old, sat in the picture-house with my friends, and being dared to throw a "Cola cube" (It's a hard sugared candy about the size of a dice) back into the crowd. I refused. Why waste the sweets? Plus, i had a football final the following Sunday, and i couldn't risk being grounded.

So, my friend, spurred on the battle scenes no doubt, throws -with a tad too much gusto- a couple Cola cubes. A shriek, a yelp, and a few cuss words later, we discovered that one of the missiles had struck somebody in the eye. The lights where turned on, the picture stopped. The victim and soon-to-be-cyclops was no-one other than my friends mother, the same friend who had conjured the plan.

His Mother was on a date, by the way. I don't believe she ever saw him again.

I'll have to re-watch the Trilogy to give my honest opinion.

Oh my God, that's too funny!

My vote? Twin Towers. And it's all about the ending.

Return of the King was pretty awesome, but what was up with that 45-minute goodbye sequence?! Good lord, the movie is over, just roll the credits!

2001, the mines of Moria sequence was absolutely incredible. You! Shall! Not! Pass!!! But the anti-climactic ending killed it for me. Oh, really, you're just gonna get all gay and get on a boat? That's the end? No, no, no, that doesn't work.

The Battle of Helms Deep is how you end a movie.

Is Middle Earth part of Regular Earth? This subject came up in discussion when my coworker and myself were debating the relative strengths of our mercenary teams.

My coworker picked Gandolf the White, and professed that he could dominate the sky with his fleet of giant eagles. I countered with the fact that my team has Tsu'tey, who flies a banshee, which is clearly superior to a big dumb lumbering eagle. He says that Tsu'tey can only fly a banshee on Pandora. Okay, that's a valid point. But that means that Gandolf can only summon giant eagles in Middle Earth, which I say is not part of Regular Earth.

By the way, thanks for summoning your giant eagles to get us home, Gandolf! Did it never occur to you that maybe your giant eagles could help us get to Mount Doom?!

Thanks to this discussion, I just re-watched the battle of Helm's Deep. Just noticed, for the first time, that it features the Wilmelm Scream. :lol:

(2:15:10 -- theatrical release)

I know this isn't answering the question but The Fellowship of the Ring is by far the best film of the trilogy...

That said: Helm's Deep is the best battle sequence. The Pelenor Fields (or however you spell it) is a bit too much, if you know what I mean. And the ghost people? Not for me.

Thanks to this discussion, I just re-watched the battle of Helm's Deep. Just noticed, for the first time, that it features the Wilmelm Scream. :lol:

(2:15:10 -- theatrical release)

Damn it, now I'm going to have to spend four hours tonight watching the film to confirm this... I only own the extended cut.

I felt the TWO TOWERS theatrical cut was very weak. It was one battle after another with a very disjointed emotional core.

The SPECIAL EDITION cut however, is an incredible film that padded the time with a lot of character arcs, especially with Frodo, the ring, and Gollum. Their decisions and emotional paths make a lot more sense. I had the pleasure of seeing a 35mm film print of it one week before the RETURN OF THE KING came out on the big screen.

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING is my favorite by far. It was much more about the characters and created the foundation for the other two films. In the end though, I don't really separate the films that much in my head because it's all one giant film really.

Can't wait for the blu rays of the extended cuts.

I can't really separate the films in my mind; it's all one fricking long movie. This is probably why I'm in the minority who thought the ending was perfect (for omitting the Scouring of the Shire). Sure, it's much for a 2 hour film, or even a 4 hour film. But after 12 hours? It was the ending that was needed.

Now, Helm's Deep vs. Minas Tirith. Hmmm. Tough call. Both battles have awesome moments (the trebuchet launching sections of wall at the armies was beyond awesome). I think I agree that Helm's Deep was a dramatically better battle. Perhaps minus the surfer-elf. Legolas vs. the Oliphant was much less silly, I thought. And I agree that the Black Riders in Fellowship were very creepy, but I thought the dragon-thingies looked cool, but I am biased towards dragons in general. And the witch-king takedown was fantastic.

Overall, I think Helm's Deep is a better battle and a great climax. That said, Minas Tirith only sets up going to the gates, and the Mouth of Sauron....

Back