Hello from Finland!

Hi guys!

Although this is my first post, I've actually been reading the forums for about a week now. The reason I haven't posted a single post until now is because all the threads have been so informative that I've never really needed to ask anything. Yet, anyways.

I'm currently researching equipment and just developing and playing around with ideas in my head. Hopefully I'll be able to save the money needed for some decent equipment by next spring or summer or so, and finally get around to actually filming something.

I'm planning on shooting not only short narratives but also skating, skiing and snowboarding which makes choosing my camera harder. I'd like to go for the Panasonic GH1 or the Canon 5D Mark II because of the cinematic look and feel they deliver. My problem is that a DSLR probably will be a bad choice for shooting longer skate or ski runs.

Also, if somebody has any experience of shooting skating or skiing I'd love to hear (and see!) about it!

The 12 minute cap on the DSLR is the drawback. Documentary and live work, aren't something that can be asked for another take. Yet, you have said you want to do narrative work also. So, it's a little here and there.

Hi, Calu!

It's great to have you aboard. Welcome.

However, I'm afraid the following excuse doesn't work for me:

Hopefully I'll be able to save the money needed for some decent equipment by next spring or summer or so, and finally get around to actually filming something.

You don't need decent equipment to get around to actually filming something. In fact, I think I'd recommend that your first few videos are shot on something not so expensive. Look, I don't care how creative you are -- you're not going to step into this and just instantly be super awesome. Every skill takes practice.

Your first few videos are going to look like they were made by someone who just started making their first few videos. Expensive equipment ain't gonna help. There are a number of skills you're going to have to practice before you start getting good at them. Furthermore, your own unique style of filmmaking will probably take a little self-discovery before you really figure out your voice.

So, my advice -- continue saving up to purchase all that nice equipment next summer. But in the interem, start making movies NOW. A used miniDV camera can be purchased on ebay for $100. Hopefully, by the time you can afford that equipment, your skills will match the quality of your equipment. :yes:

My favorite book to recommend to first-timers:

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-Camera-Course-Video/dp/0960371818

Thanks for the replies!

I see what you're saying Cracker Funk, and you're right. However, I'm not sitting around doing nothing, the school I go to actually offers us basic courses in filming, screenwriting etc. For now that will be enough, as I really don't think spending a 100 bucks on a shitty camera will help me in any way.

I'm aware of the 12 minute limit. That is not the actual problem, I'm more concerned about the jello effect associated with quick panning and the difficulty of keeping such a small and light camera still. I'd be filming other people skating, while skating myself in order to keep up and give the audience the feel of that they are rolling along, sort of. I'd either need a bigger and more robust camera or a good DIY solution to be able to capture smooth footage. And I suppose a serious filmmaker can't really manage with one single camera in the long run anyway.

Slick!!! I say Mark 5...
I've been shooting Docs, and Tv shows for many years, and you always have to stop, and go. The 12mins does suck! but there are ways around it.

Back