Helicopter Shoot

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
I've got the most complicated shoot of my career coming up this Sunday:

My DP will be in a small helicopter hovering over a vintage Cadillac as it drives over the I-75 Rouge River Bridge in Detroit. The actor will be driving the Caddy and I'll be hiding in the backseat, communicating with the helicopter via cell phone. We're trying to catch the fabulous ruins of Detroit, the impeccable Caddy as it drives through them, AND the sunrise, all in one shot. From a damn helicopter.

Pray for no rain...

I'll upload the footage as soon as I can.

Sounds like lots of fun :) Good luck with the weather.

So given the current economic state of Detroit, is it any harder/easier/cheaper to film there now?

Pray for rain, the night before (wet streets look sweet)
And to a Dramatic sunrise during your shoot..

It will be great, I can feel it!

Wheatgrinder: forecast calls for rain circa 2:00am but tapering before sunrise. Nice call.

Dreadylocks: there is a wicked good 40% tax break for productions in Michigan right now, so there is lots of movie action in the state of late. Not that this means anything for us...the only reason we got this chopper is because the producer is friends with the owner/operator and is donating the ride for credit. Budget on this film is only about $200 for uniform rental and food.

The current economic state in Michigan does mean that its easy to get in and out of the hood when shooting guerrilla, as police forces have been cut.

(If possible) I hope you guys have some extra hands getting behind the scenes footage of the shot.
Hats off to the owner/op for helping to take things up several notches while still at the Indie level.

Good luck and have a safe shoot.

-Thanks-

Wow thats impressive, don't forget to get your Camera man to also get some general city fly-by shots as they are going back and forth to the airport/heliport. That could become useful for other movie shoots.

Back