GUNS

What are the do's and don't's of guns in filmmaking?

Does Hollywood or other centers of filmmaking use real guns? Do they use fake guns?

What is the role of caps or gunfire sound effects in filmmaking?

What is the role of real guns in fillmmaking?

What is the role of cap, fake, air, or water guns etc in filmmaking?

Actors and guns. Is it okay to point or fire a fake gun at an actor? How do you do so in a safe and in an ethical way?

Actors and guns. Is it okay to point or fire a real gun at an actor? How do you do so in a safe and in an ethical way?

If a script calls for gunplay, how does the filmmaker meet his or her responsibity to create a quality product while maintaining safety for all on a set?

Last edited:
Obvious don't... don't use real guns.

I can only speak from experience when using blowback airsoft guns, but you should always practice gun safety and treat every firearm as if it were loaded. Never place your finger on the trigger if you don't intend to shoot anyone with it.

As for pointing it at actors. As long as they understand that it's a prop gun and doesn't use real bullets and understand safety, a majority of the time they should be fine with it. Hell, we had one of my cousin's college professors use one in one of our shorts haha.

Also, I would highly recommend using the firearms in a private location so as to not get the cops called on you. If you have to use it out doors then somewhere like the woods or an alleyway is a safe manner. Just make sure you conceal it when not in use. I always scream out "ACTION" so that if anyone were to come by and heard gunshots, then hopefully they heard the "ACTION" beforehand so as to not cause so much concern.

shortboy covered the answer nicely.

Most movie sets have Armorers (professional weapons handlers) to oversee weapons. My advice is to use Airsoft guns and composite your muzzle flash, smoke, ejecting brass using After Effects or Motion. There are many sources for good FX:

NCCinema

DetFilmsHD

Action Essentials 2

There are also blank firing prop guns available from Collector's Armory and Replica Guns Direct, but these are very loud and may get you in trouble.

What are the do's and don't's of guns in filmmaking?

Does Hollywood or other centers of filmmaking use real guns? Do they use fake guns?

What is the role of caps or gunfire sound effects in filmmaking?

What is the role of real guns in fillmmaking?

What is the role of cap, fake, air, or water guns etc in filmmaking?

Actors and guns. Is it okay to point or fire a fake gun at an actor? How do you do so in a safe and in an ethical way?

Actors and guns. Is it okay to point or fire a real gun at an actor? How do you do so in a safe and in an ethical way?

If a script calls for gunplay, how does the filmmaker meet his or her responsibity to create a quality product while maintaining safety for all on a set?

The only questions that can probably be answered definitively is the "How does Hollywood" handle guns. TV, lo-budget to top end movies have stringent rules regarding firearms on set. They're budgets have allowances for this. If you're asking these questions on this board, their rules in no way apply.

Gun shot sounds usually are sound effects. It's easier and the vast amount of real clean sounds are extremely easy to drop in. The only time timing is absolutely essential is on a CU when you definitely see the hammer hit steel. If it's a wide shot and you can't really see the triggers being pulled, the sound designer has more room to create a sound landscape.

All your other questions depends on the Who, What, Where, When, and how much money you have to spend.

The easiest way to use a real gun indoors with absolutely no chance of an accident (providing you're not working with morons) is use a revolver. You can easily see there's no bullets. You can run a piece of metal in the barrel and see that there's nothing stuck in the barrel. Completely SAFE.

2771966931_c180db6ed3.jpg

Magazine pistols are harder, but common sense can still render these safe. Just not in such an obvious way.

Giexpert.jpg

If you have the money for realistic fake guns, get one. Personally, every video I've ever seen on this site that has used a firearm has looked phony. But, no-budget action movies aren't my thing.

I prefer replica firearms over Airsoft because the models are real. I used a replica Colt 1911 semi auto pistol. Looks 100% real. You can even load an ammo clip. Non-firing replicas are safe unless you drop them on your foot. ;)

The only questions that can probably be answered definitively is the "How does Hollywood" handle guns. TV, lo-budget to top end movies have stringent rules regarding firearms on set. They're budgets have allowances for this. If you're asking these questions on this board, their rules in no way apply.

Gun shot sounds usually are sound effects. It's easier and the vast amount of real clean sounds are extremely easy to drop in. The only time timing is absolutely essential is on a CU when you definitely see the hammer hit steel. If it's a wide shot and you can't really see the triggers being pulled, the sound designer has more room to create a sound landscape.

All your other questions depends on the Who, What, Where, When, and how much money you have to spend.

The easiest way to use a real gun indoors with absolutely no chance of an accident (providing you're not working with morons) is use a revolver. You can easily see there's no bullets. You can run a piece of metal in the barrel and see that there's nothing stuck in the barrel. Completely SAFE.

2771966931_c180db6ed3.jpg

Magazine pistols are harder, but common sense can still render these safe. Just not in such an obvious way.

Giexpert.jpg

If you have the money for realistic fake guns, get one. Personally, every video I've ever seen on this site that has used a firearm has looked phony. But, no-budget action movies aren't my thing.

I prefer replica firearms over Airsoft because the models are real. I used a replica Colt 1911 semi auto pistol. Looks 100% real. You can even load an ammo clip. Non-firing replicas are safe unless you drop them on your foot. ;)

You were able to afford a replica and that's fine. It's an option. Some people can't. A real unloaded gun is also safe unless you drop it on your foot.

Where I work, some one signed a unit over to us. When we went in there were 2 handguns, and 2 shotguns. I would have used one of the handguns for my movie (it had the barrel) but the guns had rust all over them. We had no problem playing with those. We opened the barrels and saw there were no bullets in it. One of the shotguns was clearly loaded. We didn't even touch that sucker. We called the cops and had them haul it away. Unloaded gun SAFE. Loaded gun EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH and everyone around you.

It's all common sense. What gets individuals in trouble when common sense exits. When you assume instead of know.

Actually, I must apologize to the Airsoft Corp. I used an Airsoft silencer (supressor) with the Colt 1911 replica. It worked perfectly. (the scenes were darkly lit though) so I shouldn't dis Airsoft. ;)

You were able to afford a replica and that's fine. It's an option. Some people can't. A real unloaded gun is also safe unless you drop it on your foot.

Where I work, some one signed a unit over to us. When we went in there were 2 handguns, and 2 shotguns. I would have used one of the handguns for my movie (it had the barrel) but the guns had rust all over them. We had no problem playing with those. We opened the barrels and saw there were no bullets in it. One of the shotguns was clearly loaded. We didn't even touch that sucker. We called the cops and had them haul it away. Unloaded gun SAFE. Loaded gun EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH and everyone around you.

It's all common sense. What gets individuals in trouble when common sense exits. When you assume instead of know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFr84M4Bz8A&feature=plcp

Here we used my airsoft M1 Garand. the only thing that is different from the real one are internals, weight and "made in Japan" right under "Springfield Armory". None visible on cam anyways.

We have also used numerous real and fake firearms on set, where I always have been responsible. I would say I got common sense when it comes to weapons, got some licenses and know how to handle them.

My opinion: Get someone who knows weapons to handle your weapons. Even if it's an airsoft one. I know many guys who have lost smaller bodyparts and quite some blood because of a 6mm airsoft BB. Not fun.

That's a cool video actually! Looks great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFr84M4Bz8A&feature=plcp

Here we used my airsoft M1 Garand. the only thing that is different from the real one are internals, weight and "made in Japan" right under "Springfield Armory". None visible on cam anyways.

We have also used numerous real and fake firearms on set, where I always have been responsible. I would say I got common sense when it comes to weapons, got some licenses and know how to handle them.

My opinion: Get someone who knows weapons to handle your weapons. Even if it's an airsoft one. I know many guys who have lost smaller bodyparts and quite some blood because of a 6mm airsoft BB. Not fun.

We've used a real gun on set twice. Once with the security officer of the building watching it, another with the owner handling it at all times when not on camera. Both times no ammo even close to set, and I don't think we actually had them pointed at any actors.

Other times, 100% airsoft. I think you'd be hard pressed to go through our films and pick the two real guns. We're in Texas, it's actually probably easier for us to borrow and source real weapons than ordering airsoft and painting them. We're at the place now where we have a decent fake armory haha, but in the beginning when we had to ask people to bring their own we always stressed no real guns and thoroughly checked each.

Once the set was "secure" and everyone know everything was airsoft, nobody had any problems pointing them at each other. In fact, the opposite. We've filmed in some public places and in view of passing cars, and normally asked the talent and extras with weapons to leave them on the ground between takes. Not every extra is as mature in the moment as you like, when you're head to toe in camo with your buddies in a fake warzone it's easy to want to play haha.

Always play smart. Treat every gun like it's loaded. It's what they taught us in hunters safety in school (again, Texas... we shot skeet over the football field in class) and when you use your brain and be over the top safe about everything it pays off. I mean like over the top, every time someone puts a fake gun down, you check it to see if it's real and loaded before using it again. Let people know, get written permission for whatever property you're using, and never try to steal a shot with a gun involved. Guerilla style on the subway is one thing, it's another when the public thinks you're armed haha.

If you have to use it out doors then somewhere like the woods or an alleyway is a safe manner. Just make sure you conceal it when not in use. I always scream out "ACTION" so that if anyone were to come by and heard gunshots, then hopefully they heard the "ACTION" beforehand so as to not cause so much concern.

DO NOT CONCEAL IT. Real or not, most places will still consider it brandishing at the very least, and you can catch a felony at worst. It doesn't matter if it is real or fake. If it looks real, the police will respond to it as being real if called. Trying to conceal it will just make things worse.

If filming with a permit, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are going guerilla, knock on some doors and let people in the area know what you are doing and that if they see something, it is planned.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to gun safety. I carry every day, concealed or open, and I do use real guns in what I film. I have used airsoft guns in what I shoot as well. Regardless of if it is real or fake. Check to make sure it is unloaded, then check again, then once more. Did the gun leave your sight between shoots? Then check it again. If you don't know how to or don't want the responsibilty, hire a pro or use fakes. You don't want anyone to become the next Brandon Lee.

Back