Got my first Super 8, need some help!

I finally ordered my first Super 8 camera the other day, an Eumig Sound 30XL, not sure if that one is very good, I mistakenly just bought it on impulse, nothing I can do about it now. May sell it and get a Canon 518 SV, is that a good idea? Also, I realized that the film needs to be developed. Is that an expensive process? I was under the impression that you could just shoot the film, and put it into a projector and watch, but I stupidly didn't do enough research before buying.

How exactly does that process work?

I would appreciate some general advice as well.

Thanks

The Eumig is a nice camera. Really not that much different than the Canon 518.

Yep, film is very, very different than video tape. It needs to be developed and in the case of
negative stock it then needs to be printed in order to be show on a projector.

Most places offering super 8 film cartridges also offer developing and even what's called
"telecine" - transfer to DV. Developing is about $14 per cartridge. The process is you will
shoot the roll and then send it to the lab. They will develop the film and return it to you.

This developed print is what you will put in a projector.

If you choose to have the film transfered to DV tape the process is the same. It will
cost more, but you will get the super 8 film (that you can put in a projector) and
a DV tape that you can transfer to your computer for editing.

Don't sell the camera and buy another until you see if this is what you want to do. Buy a couple rolls, do some camera and lighting tests, develop and transfer. Then you will see the process and since you were doing camera and lighting tests you can see the optimal results.

Ok, thanks for the help guys. This is going to end up costing a lot more than I thought. I'm only 16, with no job! Better get saving. I don't think I'll transfer to DV, I like the authenticity of a projector. What is the cheapest place to find film? And should I get reversal film, and if so, what speed and all that?

For Super-8 reversal, you've only got 3 choices.

Plus-X - black & white, suitable for outdoors or brightly lit.

Tri-X - black & white, suitable for indoors or less well lit.

64T - colour, very low speed. You'd also want to read up on when/where to use the Daylight Filter, for this. (The "T" signifies the film is balanced for use with tungsten lighting... so if your source is natural daylight, on with the filter)

Woo! o/

No, that is the same type of filmstock... but your link is for film to be used in a 35mm still camera.

These are the things you want - here

Definitely read up some more, before buying anything else. Slow down. :)

No idea about developing your own film. I've never tried it - and to be honest, even if it cost a bit less it wouldn't be worth the time. (for me, at least)

Ok, that's what I thought.

Anyway, on developing my own film, I think it's the best and most cost efficient choice for me, I really don't mind small flaws in the film, in fact that would probably make it better in my eyes.

Has anyone on here done it? I can only find the Kodak E-6 developing kit, I can't find the Fuji or Jobo one.

Super 8mm

That reminds me... I still have some cartridges I need to develop. I might do that this weekend.

Out here in LA, there is a company called pro8mm. I have yet to drive over there and check them out. But the website looks cool. They actually sell both reversal film and negative film. The negatives are cut from other film stock, covering a spectrum of ASA. (Exposure, film sensitivity to light, etc.)

A few years back, I actually dropped a cartridge into the WalMart kiosk. I remember it took a week or so, but the film looked OK for Super8mm.

Super8mm is a great format for anyone wishing to experiment. And if you can learn to light it and get a decent picture, then those skills will only help as you experience other formats.

Let me know what you think of Pro8mm. I have had nothing
but bad experiences with them. But it's been several years - I'd
love to hear they have improved.

Ok, I'm getting my money back for the first camera, and I'm thinking of getting something else like a Kodak Instamatic, the M2 maybe. I know these are really simple, but I don't need a lot of features, at least right now when I'm just starting. I've also heard that they are prone to breaking, do I need to worry about this?

The M2 is as basic as you can get. Very cheaply made, I'm surprised any
survive in working order.

There are no manual features at all - you can't even change the focus - and
it shoots at only 18 FPS

I'm not sure why you're getting rid of the Eumig, but if you're looking for
simple, point and shoot with no options at all the Instimatic is the camera
for you.

Well, I just wanted something a little more compact and basic. Not sure. Still looking at the 518 though. I don't have much money to spend. I'm looking at the M22 now actually.

I realize the Kodaks are really cheap, but thought they might suit me better.

Re thinking it, I guess something with more features would be better, hehe. Can you guys suggest some nice, cheap, (under $50 used) cameras?

I'm getting a refund, I just don't really think it was what I wanted, and the ebay listing seemed a little shady, not sure if it was going to be in goo working order.

Back