Good news on name actress

Guys, just wanted to share my good news. The name actress I'd wanted for my second feature film has just agreed in principle to work on the project. She loves the script.

Of, course I've now got contract negoitations to undertake and I've got to get the film greenlighted financially, but all in all, I'm very happy.

:yes:

Congratulations, Clive. That's great news. Hopefully with "name talent" on board the negotiations will be a little easier.

I knew somebody would ask, but I'd be insane to risk the deal by talking about this in public, before I've got contracts in place, so I'll let you know that as soon as I've got everything signed. Which before anyone asks, probably won't be before the end of the year, by which time I should have the project greenlighted.

Thanks for the thanks guys, much appreciated.

This is great news indeed! Sounds like the beginnings of something good. Keep us posted.

Actually the good news just keeps rolling in.

The Hi-Def editing suite we've been waiting for has now been promised to us for the second week in October. I may only be days away from finally finishing "No Place."

From this :director: to this :pop: in two and a half years.

Awesome!
smiley_pac.gif

Cashing in on all that good karma you've saved up? :P

clive said:
I knew somebody would ask, but I'd be insane to risk the deal by talking about this in public, before I've got contracts in place, so I'll let you know that as soon as I've got everything signed.

Awww...come on.....just a little hint?

Clive, Congratulations on landing the talent for the film. So just what did it take to get her to agree to act in your film? That reminds me of one of the talks we're proposing to offer at The Greenwood Film Festival..."What's it Gonna Take to Get Me to Act in Your Low Budget Film?"

What? You haven't heard of The Greenwood Festival? You know, the festival being held in Connecticut during December of 2005.

Yep...for all of those who have been following the discussion on the Festival Talk board, we have a name. And our site should be launched within the month.

Clive, Congratulations on landing the talent for the film. So "just what did it take to get her to agree to act in your film?" Carol Rose

Actually it was really simple, I contacted her agent explaining that this was our second feature film, what plans we had for the project and asked whether she'd be interested in reading the next draft of the script. When the agent said yes, I sent over my forty page treatment so everyone would know what kind of project we were looking at, along with that, I explained why I was coming to her first for the role and some background on the character. I got a positive response to that, which I followed up with an email a few weeks later telling them when the script would be ready.

Once I was happy that the script was right, I sent it off with a covering e-mail (having already established that she was happy with an electronic, rather than paper version). Four weeks later I got an e-mail directly from the actor saying that she loved the script and that providing we could work out the contractual details and get the film green-lighted, that she'd love to work on the project.

This is, of course a long way from having the film completed with her in it, however, at this point it validates my script and will help get the distribution deals I need to get a green-light on the project.

I think that the reason that this worked is that I targeted the right script at the right actor. I knew what she'd done and what she was like as a performer and rather than sending her a script that was identical to work she'd already done, I sent her something that would give her the opportunity to take on new acting challenges. My theory has always been that once you get past the money issues, all any actor wants, is the chance to do good work. I think the challenge for the indie filmmaker is to provide a credible pitch for the project, attached to good material.

Sounds like you followed the same rules that Sofia Coppola followed when she wanted Bill Murray for Lost in Translation

Sounds like you followed the same rules that Sofia Coppola followed when she wanted Bill Murray for Lost in Translation

Yep, but I had the advantage of my father being florist, rather than one of the world's most influencial directors, which meant that I could also send flowers :lol:

clive said:
Yep, but I had the advantage of my father being florist, rather than one of the world's most influencial directors, which meant that I could also send flowers :lol:

Gasp! Those rumors about the Floral Mafia controlling the film business in the UK are true. :no:

Back