Good follow focus for a steadicam?

I want to do a chase scene with a steadicam and was wondering if they make a specific follow focus for it, than a second operator can use, as the first operator uses the steadicam. If it's the same as other follow focuses, then I'll just get one of those, but do I need something specific? My friend who is getting good at follow focusing, is going to start learning with a steadicam operator, once I know what gear to get.

There are 'special' follow focuses. You can't use a normal follow focus on a steadicam, you'll knock it off balance.

There are a few remote units:

Preston
Hocus Focus
Bartech

If you want to get REALLY crafty, you can do the math to figure out how much weight you need to redistribute and where, then fabricate a counterbalance for the follow focus, and then do around three dozen takes until you get one in which the whip doesn't knock the camera around...

...right, I wouldn't want to do all that either. Check out Phil's suggestion.

RedRock has a remote unit too.

Hypothetically. I've yet to see it being shipped. They've technically had one for about three years. I'd be interested to know if anyone who's ordered has received yet, the reports I heard from NAB were that it was nowhere near even comparable to a Preston or Bartech, and that the radio noise around the conference meant they wouldn't actually show it in action, even though both Preston and Bartech were able to show theirs in action.

Prestons and Bartechs are really nice, but you need to have a Focus Puller who really knows his sh*t.

Hypothetically. I've yet to see it being shipped. They've technically had one for about three years. I'd be interested to know if anyone who's ordered has received yet, the reports I heard from NAB were that it was nowhere near even comparable to a Preston or Bartech, and that the radio noise around the conference meant they wouldn't actually show it in action, even though both Preston and Bartech were able to show theirs in action.

Prestons and Bartechs are really nice, but you need to have a Focus Puller who really knows his sh*t.

...unless it's a Merlin you're talking about and you have zero budget (like me).

The reason for my setup (5D and VG10) is because I could mount the VG10 to a Merlin and use the autofocus. When I used it for my dancer sequence (if you remember my first short) and motorcycles travelling at a 100mph+, it was absolutely fine.

I know purists are going to be up in arms about this but I am at the budget end of Indie film making so can't afford a proper steadicam and operator, hence the little Merlin and VG10 setup.

Good question. I'm a steadicam operator and I can give you some advice from what I have learned. You can't have anykind of a whip attached to the steadicam. It's not the side weight that is the issue, it is the fact that someone's hand will have to touch your rig that will completely throw the system off balance at any time. The shot is going to be hard enough, that you are going to have to eliminate any other aspects that can effect the shot.

As far as what to use for a follow focus. There are a few out there but I am going to recommend either a Preston or Bartech. Reason being is they are tried and true systems and not only that you have to make sure your motors can handle your lenses. Also I would check that the systems can take 24v or more because if they can't you may blow a motor.

Finally if you have a proper system and decent lenses the puller will have an easier time pulling because he will know how the system will function. Just my two cents.

There are 'special' follow focuses. You can't use a normal follow focus on a steadicam, you'll knock it off balance.

I thought the remote part was obvious since you shouldn't touch the camera :D

The reason for my setup (5D and VG10) is because I could mount the VG10 to a Merlin and use the autofocus.

I don't understand. Autofocus ? With a follow focus ?

Also I reckon the Merlin is quite above the no-budget area. It's actually the most expensive you can get before getting into the big stuff. I would love to try it some day, I just have an HD1000.

I don't understand. Autofocus ? With a follow focus ?

Also I reckon the Merlin is quite above the no-budget area. It's actually the most expensive you can get before getting into the big stuff. I would love to try it some day, I just have an HD1000.

The Merlin, for me, is pretty much entry level. It's a fantastic little tool which has been absolutely invaluable and gives incredible flexibility but is still low end from my experience.

However, the whole idea of autofocus is I don't need a follow focus... I used it to shoot dance, motorcycle (bikes travelling at 100mph+) and boxing. When I viewed the footage and more importantly when others on Indietalk who know significantly more than me viewed the footage, it looked fine. No out of focus moments, no issues etc...

The only problem is the amount of practice needed to make it work is unbelievable and there are limitations. We practiced for hours and hours to get to a place where we could really get shots, get the camera settings right and I had access to a couple of pros who were invaluable.

Well I have the Canon T2i which has no autofocus, so it's not really an option for me unless I get a new camera. However can a camcorder, be smart enough to do autofocus while the steadicam operator is running down the street following someone? Probably not from my experience, while autofocusing in general.

Well I have the Canon T2i which has no autofocus, so it's not really an option for me unless I get a new camera. However can a camcorder, be smart enough to do autofocus while the steadicam operator is running down the street following someone? Probably not from my experience, while autofocusing in general.

May I challenge this a little? I think it can be given certain limitations (and you wouldn't even believe what some of these are...)

The evidence is - when you watched my rough cut, did you see any out of focus moments? For example, when I was following the dancer leaping and spinning across an environment where there was a vast distance between her and the background. Or how about the motorcycle travelling at 100mph+ while I was moving? Was the footage anything other than rock solid? Sure, there were tons of tricks with a fixed focus, playing with the DoF, settings etc... but did you see any issues?

Sure, it's not ideal, there are tons of limitations and the option of having a proper steadicam with an experienced operator with a follow-focus is the perfect solution. However, given a lack of budget, the VG10 (VG20 now) plus Merlin works as you saw yourself.

No I didn't see any going out of focus. While for my scene I want to do a running steadicam scene through a parking structure. The actor will run and the steadicam will follow. He will shoot guys who jump out at him, and I will need the autofocus to be able to pull focus on that, while running, so not sure if it is smart enough to. I can test it if anyone I know happens to have a cam with a good autofocus.

If you get a wide lens,
Stop it down like f11 or f16 or whatever.

Anything more than a few feet away is going to be in perfect focus.

For high action shots, this is what I would do. Focus with your feet. i.e. stay the correct distance from the action.

Thanks. I want to use a steadicam for a shootout in a parking structure. Not sure if I can reflect enough sunlight into the building, to get it down to f11, and if I use bright lights, they don't really look likes sunlight color wise, since it's suppose to be a parking structure in daytime. but I am on the lookout for a new DP, and he might have an answer.

Focus Puller w/ wireless Follow Focus?

If you can't autofocus, and can't stop down/shoot wide, then you're running out of options other than wireless follow focus.

Jag35 make a (relatively) cheap(er) wireless FF which might work for you. I've been pulling off a Bartech for the past week, and it's certainly worth the investment. I've also had the luxury of a wireless DP6 to pull off, which is pretty cool..

Back