Good-Bye Windows XP

I liked XP. And I like 7. Not thrilled about what I've heard about 8.

The main concern I heard in a news story is that XP users will be vulnerable to hackers/security issues. But like JmyDown said, people have been using older, non supported operating systems for a long time.

I am cleaning up an old tower with XP on it for an elderly couple I know. They just want to look up the occasional thing on Google, receive the occasional email from their grand-kids and watch the occasional YouTube video. I'm thinking they will get a couple more years out of XP, at least...

Me personally, I have Win7 64bit and will NOT be moving to Win8 any day soon. I tried it out on a friends laptop and I didn't like it. If I had it, I would add the latest version of Classic Shell to it and make it look and feel just like Windows Classic, which I have set my computers to look and feel like since Win98SE.

Best Windows operating systems:

98SE
XP
Win7

That is all.

I hate windows 8 at first too. Maybe it's a case of stockholm syndrome, but I've come to love it and prefer it by far to windows 7 (particularly the 8.1 upgrade). It's actually really functional when you get used it. Obvious downsides are that it customisability is a little harder.

Windows 8 SUX ASS. Complete piece of crap. It is for the mindless mass who don't actually work on computers. I spit on windows 8 and the "developers" who came up with it.

Windows 8 is the future of all computers where the mouse and keyboard will be eliminated and replaced with a touch screen interface. They interface of Windows 7, XP, and 98 are on their way of becoming ancient history like the parallel port for printers.

As Microsoft points out, Windows 8 has the widest support for hardware and new software. Anything new is being written and designed for Windows 8.

I quite like Windows 8.

To be honest, I don't really see how it's any different to the past few iterations of Windows. Sure, you get the tiles and apps, but you don't have to use them. As soon as you hit the desktop, very little has changed.

Of course, there is a slight learning curve, as a few little things have been changed (like "My Computer", which has now been renamed to "This PC"), but it's perfectly functional, just like Windows 7.

Still using XP. It's by far the best OS MS have ever released, and will be for some time to come, although I expect 7 to catch up at some point.

Also, I don't believe that touchscreens are going to make a mouse/keyboard interface obsolete any time soon, especially not for productivity.

The only thing missing with Windows 8 desktop is the ability to display all of the programs and Windows applications. They are now on the start-up apps screen. You have to scroll to the right to see them.

I have an 18 year old Pentium III computer running Windows 95/98 with System Commander I keep off-line. It runs faster without antivirus and adware software slowing it down. I also have a 17 year old Pentium III running Windows XP and it is slow as hell. Now that I have a new desktop running Windows 8, I may take the Windows XP computer off-line as well. I will keep the Windows 8 computer online with a Windows Vista laptop.

A new computer is the best way to go with Windows 8.1. It can run slow as hell on a computer with old hardware. New computers are optimized for Windows 8.1. The new computers, including laptops are already coming with touch screens. I am looking to eventually replace my Windows 8 HD monitor with a touch screen HD monitor. I can navigate with a mouse. And, learning how to use a 2 button mouse with Windows 8 makes it easier to navigate.

Last edited:
I still have an old laptop with XP on it; occasionally use it. Doesn't need to be updated because all the hardware works as well as it's going to, and I don't put it on the internet so not really worried about it being compromised. It does what I need it to, so no reason to get rid of it (and it couldn't handle an OS update anyway).

7 I like; it's pretty stable and you can dig pretty deep in customizing it. My studio machine is on 7; the only problems are caused by shitty drivers for my old audio interface, but I really don't want to sink the cash on a replacement that will give me the same latency/quality

8 however, is a mess. I have a laptop purchased last summer that came with 8. It's definitely designed for a consumer, rather than a creator, so the few things I've tried to do on it, I've usually given up and gone up to the studio machine. Fine for playing video games on or surfing the net. The actual Win 8 programs are a pain...EVERYTHING wants to run in full screen and without the taskbar, sometimes it's hard to tell what programs are actually running. I'm never doing just one thing (as a consequence, I'm playing less solitaire since the version that ships with it is full screen and useless to me). I haven't tried the classic theme yet, maybe that'll help. But I really don't want to try doing anything actually productive on it.

My Win8 highlight however was, while trying to kill a browser where flash had crashed (and locked up the machine...I don't blame that on Win8 though), the task manager locked up on me. In my decades of running windows (3.0 on my 286!) I've never had the task manager itself crash. Of course, I had the sense not to install WinME, so I could have run into it sooner. If the pattern holds, however, 9 should be 8 that actually works, so we'll see how things shape up then.

Back on topic, I have no problem with MS killing XP support. The fact that they've supported it so long is fantastic.

went to rebuild my wifes laptop after a major OS crash, she was running windows 7. Chatted with ms support, who said "sorry we dont support that, please buy win 8"

My wife is now running MINT linux on her laptop. She didn't really notice.

Thanks

There is a task bar on the bottom of the screen in desktop. You can pin application programs to it, if you don't have shortcuts for programs on your desktop. With a mouse, just pass your curser over the icons in the task bar to see which ones are active with status screens.

I have my MS Office 365 icons pinned to task bar. I also setup my Sony Sound Forge and Movie Studio icons there too. I have short cuts for programs like Photoshop and Premiere on my desktop.

It pays to customize your Windows 8 64 bit desktop.

You can, and you can do that in 7 too. But if you're running a Win8 native program and alt-tab back to the desktop, it won't appear on the taskbar. It'll just be running in Win8-space (you'll see if you move the mouse to the upper left corner)

Just minimize the running program and the programs will be on the task bar. I've setup a few personal laptops for people at work with Office and pinned the Office icons in desktop. They remain there unless they are unpinned from the main apps screeb.

I've had no problems with vanishing icons from my desktop screen.

I also have a Computer icon on the main apps screen to immediately launch My Computer in Desktop.

Back