Good-Bye Windows XP

My desktop is Vista, 6 years old or so. It's finally getting sluggish despite taking good care of it and regular maintenance.

We just recently got a new laptop and it's got Windows 8. Yeah when I first unboxed it I felt like a complete idiot, couldn't figure out how to work it. But after a half hour and some tweaking of the start menu/UI, I actually really really like it. And no, I'm not on a touch screen, either. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

My netbook is an XP machine: been using it for 4 years.
Got myself a laptop today with W8.1 an i7 processor and Radeon videocard, so I can put CS5.5 on it for working on location :)
Not really what I wanted to spend money on, but maybe this is investing in a first step to facilitate space for an intern... Past few years I had to disappoint over a dozen students, because I didn't have a workstation for them. Now I only need space :P

Windows 8 is hell to support. I had to do that once for a company, all kinds of government websites didn't work on it at ALL. I had to set up a windows 7 VM just so they could get their work done.

Should have just stuck with windows 7 to begin with, but of course I wasn't consulted when those computers were purchased

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.
This. There seems to be a lot of people that don't like change (I though the complaining about windows 8 stopped about a year ago). Of course there are going to be the classic issues when an os updates with some software not being compatible yet, and support being a bit weak, but I think it's mostly pretty fine..

Back