Going Through The Change

Well, it's actually an upgrade. I just purchased an Intel Mac and am upgrading to Pro Tools 9. It's such a pain in the cajones, having to keep track of all of the various audio plug-ins that need to be upgraded, adding more drives, more memory and additional firewire ports to the computer, updating iLok licenses, etc. The biggest pain is having to semi-dismantle the studio to pull the old computer. Fortunately everything has been going smoothly so far (knock wood) and the vendors have been very helpful - as they should be in this economy!

What's really weird is that this is the first time that I have done major software upgrades via electronic delivery - no boxes of software arriving via FedEx and UPS and the endlessly whirring of the CD/DVD drive as the new software loads.

This weekend I'll be re-wiring the computer into the studio, running all the final tests and reconfiguring the audio interfaces as well as installing additional sound treatment. I almost feel like a little kid before Christmas.

Technical mumbo jumbo went straight over my head, but I just wanted to say, when I saw the name of this thread, I thought you were telling us you were menopausal :P

Mmm, new Mac Pro? Have fun! Don't know how you've managed on PPC for so long - I'm pretty sure half the stuff I use for video has been Intel-only for a couple of years now.

Mmm, new Mac Pro? Have fun! Don't know how you've managed on PPC for so long - I'm pretty sure half the stuff I use for video has been Intel-only for a couple of years now.

I had no choice. As the long-timers here at IndieTalk will remember my studio was flooded in April of '07. I only had about $25k to overcome $100k in damages, so rebuilding the room and replacing key pieces of gear took priority. Just about the only things I managed to save were the computer, hard drives and mic collection. So financing was a big issue.

Another issue was that DigiDesign - the company that puts out Pro Tools - had been having serious problems; the stability of PT on some platforms, interfacing issues, etc. plus management and customer support concerns so I was hesitant to commit myself to potential problems. The complete reorganization of the company (there is no more DigiDesign, it's now Avid Audio) and the remarkable changes with the new Pro Tools 9 made it the right time to take the plunge.

One more reason is that you do have to plan these things way in advance.

And let's face it, as I've preached for so long, it's not having the latest greatest toys, but getting the most out of the gear that you have. My clients liked my work; that's all that mattered.

Good luck with this. Upgrading is always a paint. I used to do sustems upgrades with a telecom company and it seemed nothing went right on the first try. I hope it does for you.

Back