movies GI Jane

Did anyone else think that the whole thing looked a bit staged? The way it went down reminded me so much of those staged arguments in professional wrestling matches.

Remember Janet Jacksons wardrobe malfunction at the Superbowl. They said later that the two of them planned the "accident" before the event. What was the purpose, the motive? To thrust Janet and Justin into the headlines every day for the next week. Same ingredients to the recipe, a high profile live broadcast event, 2 celebrities that knew each other personally, and a mountain of cash value publicity as a result, with no negative repercussions.

Sound unlikely? Does anyone here know the cash value associated with putting yourself on the front page of national news? Both Will Smith and Chris Rock just got about 30 million dollars of publicity each. There are people who have created entire careers based on this amount of publicity.

I went frame by frame and could never see any actual impact on Chris Rock's face.

Maybe it's exactly what it appeared to be, but I kind of think this whole thing didn't make sense. The joke was a bit mean because of the disease thing, but honestly, I've seen way worse from comedians razzing the audience, and this kind of thing literally never happens. Then after the incident no charges were pressed, and no action by the academy. Very convenient for this to happen live during the highest viewer numbers of the year for both actors. Anyone else here that would not have sued a near billionaire that punched them on live television in front of every judge in the world?

It's just suspicious when super wealthy people suddenly have accidents that are totally under their control, and the result is a huge reward and more fame for an act that would have gotten any of us thrown in a prison cell.

as far as why I didn't know that the whole post was a joke, it's because until today I had only skimmed a news headline saying that Smith had Punched Rock, and I didn't know about the GI Jane joke until about an hour ago when I looked into what had actually happened.

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Not only did it seem real to me -- but it completely killed whatever interest I had left in standup comedy.

The standup scene is horrible in covid era, nobody wants to go out and sit in a room full of strangers listening to another stranger.
It takes 20 years to be famous... and in those 20 years? Make one bad joke and everyone wants to cancel you.

And now on top of that?? You can get slapped in the face on live tv now too and you just have to smile and take it and keep making more jokes...
I honestly cannot fathom why anybody that is young and funny would actually want to be a standup comedian anymore.

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but I can't be the only person like this? With zero interest in being a standup after seeing that slap.

Ok, but you do realize that these 2 fading stars managed to become the most talked about people at the Oscars, and it's all thanks to this incident that at least one of them made happen. Not all suspicion is crazy. There are just so many lunatics spouting conspiracy theories that it's now hard to believe that anything was a setup. I do understand that the phrase "conspiracy theory" has now become synonymous with the dumbest people in America. That doesn't mean everyone in the world stopped conspiring. It honestly happens more than you think. Wives conspire against husbands, banks like Wells Fargo have conspired to rip off their customers, and went to court over it just a few years back. Business partners conspire to cut executives out of profits, etc. If you think no one ever conspires to make money, you're the crazy one. I've had people conspire against me personally multiple times, back when there were millions of dollars at stake.

I lived pretty close to to the Theranos building, where a very real conspiracy went on for years and literally billions of dollars vanished. Up until the façade came crashing down, literally everyone jumped to the defense of the thief, Elizabeth Holmes. Posting tin foil hat pictures. Everyone who accused Theranos of fraud was labeled as a lunatic, jealous of her inspirational genius. You can watch the entire story via "The Dropout" which is currently running on streaming services. She never had any working tech, and before the end she was in control of money equivalent to the gnp of a small country.

All theories are not created equal, saying that 1 million vote counters from both parties all called each other the night before the election and decided to commit a federal crime with no financial reward in perfect unison without a single person leaking the info is insanely stupid. Saying that two friends that saw an opportunity to make millions from a 30 second stage play with no consequences is significantly different from both a logistic and math angle.

Or maybe I'm just thinking this way because I watched Death on the Nile last night.

Anyway I'm not saying this is a conspiracy, maybe not, I'm only pointing out that it's a bit suspicious, and why. Being able to recognize patterns is conventionally considered a form of intelligence. I've never heard the phrase "pattern recognition stupidity"

Not only did it seem real to me -- but it completely killed whatever interest I had left in standup comedy.

The standup scene is horrible in covid era, nobody wants to go out and sit in a room full of strangers listening to another stranger.
It takes 20 years to be famous... and in those 20 years? Make one bad joke and everyone wants to cancel you.

And now on top of that?? You can get slapped in the face on live tv now too and you just have to smile and take it and keep making more jokes...
I honestly cannot fathom why anybody that is young and funny would actually want to be a standup comedian anymore.

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but I can't be the only person like this? With zero interest in being a standup after seeing that slap.
So what did you think of the Dave Chappelle situation? I watched the special, and then saw him get attacked afterwards, and I didn't feel like it was warranted based on the content of the show.

So what did you think of the Dave Chappelle situation? I watched the special, and then saw him get attacked afterwards, and I didn't feel like it was warranted based on the content of the show.
I'm not familiar with that situation; google search wasn't helpful.

I have a new coolest guy in the world........: Chris Rock. His poise was astonishing.

Comedians who insult others as a way of telling jokes are quite experienced (ie poised) in how they deal with negative reactions from those they insult.....it's one thing to insult an actor, but a comedian should be prudent when it comes to their family members.

Last edited:
Ok, but you do realize that these 2 fading stars managed to become the most talked about people at the Oscars, and it's all thanks to this incident that at least one of them made happen. Not all suspicion is crazy. There are just so many lunatics spouting conspiracy theories that it's now hard to believe that anything was a setup. I do understand that the phrase "conspiracy theory" has now become synonymous with the dumbest people in America. That doesn't mean everyone in the world stopped conspiring. It honestly happens more than you think. Wives conspire against husbands, banks like Wells Fargo have conspired to rip off their customers, and went to court over it just a few years back. Business partners conspire to cut executives out of profits, etc. If you think no one ever conspires to make money, you're the crazy one. I've had people conspire against me personally multiple times, back when there were millions of dollars at stake.

I lived pretty close to to the Theranos building, where a very real conspiracy went on for years and literally billions of dollars vanished. Up until the façade came crashing down, literally everyone jumped to the defense of the thief, Elizabeth Holmes. Posting tin foil hat pictures. Everyone who accused Theranos of fraud was labeled as a lunatic, jealous of her inspirational genius. You can watch the entire story via "The Dropout" which is currently running on streaming services. She never had any working tech, and before the end she was in control of money equivalent to the gnp of a small country.

All theories are not created equal, saying that 1 million vote counters from both parties all called each other the night before the election and decided to commit a federal crime with no financial reward in perfect unison without a single person leaking the info is insanely stupid. Saying that two friends that saw an opportunity to make millions from a 30 second stage play with no consequences is significantly different from both a logistic and math angle.

Or maybe I'm just thinking this way because I watched Death on the Nile last night.

Anyway I'm not saying this is a conspiracy, maybe not, I'm only pointing out that it's a bit suspicious, and why. Being able to recognize patterns is conventionally considered a form of intelligence. I've never heard the phrase "pattern recognition stupidity"
I do think it's suspicious at the very least... I too have watched the frame by frame action and while I do see impact? It's VERY SLIGHT. It's definitely not full on like I WOULD HAVE DONE IT. LOLOLOL. We also have to remember that Will Smith has been choreographed hundreds of times when it comes to fight scenes and the IDEA is to get those slaps and punches in as CLOSE as possible for a realistic effect.

Then combined with the Oscar Win for King Richard? LOLOLOL. Then combine all THAT with the fact that the Oscars' ratings have been waning for years... You at least have to consider the possibility.

Unless you go DARK. Tackle subjects like Anthony Jeselnik. Nobody does it better.

Last edited:
Ummm... he was insulting an actor. You do know she is an actor right?

Yes, and I guess all actors, like politicians, are subject to jokes and ridicule......Chris Rock was specifically addressing Jada and not Will Smith, but her husband took it personally as an insult to his wife and thus to himself....From what I've read, (could be wrong) this is not the first time Chris Rock has used the GI Jane joke to Jada, but it's the first time in the presence of her husband.

Yes, he came to her defense but TO a joke aimed at an actor about a movie with a female lead. So your logic of attacking family members is skewed.

So your logic of attacking family members is skewed.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but I never said or meant anything about comedians "attacking" family members....I never used the work "attack" in my post.

I said " a comedian should be "prudent" when it comes to their family members"......prudent meaning: careful, sensitive, considerate, thoughtful, etc.

The prudence should have been based on the medical condition.
I'd agree to disagree and say BOTH. You don't f**ck with someone's family... Especially when they are in the audience. I'm sure I would have taken that joke personally myself. I might not have gone up on stage UNLESS I WAS A FADING MOVIE STAR but I would have certainly had a conversation with the comedian later on.

How is it "someone's family" when she's an actor and actors have families?

Are you saying the joke was to Will about her? It was not. It was directed at her. An actor. With a family yes.

How is it "someone's family" when she's an actor and actors have families?
I hear what you're saying and understand where YOU'RE coming from but not only is she an actor but her husband was sitting right there next to her when the joke was thrown out. All I'm saying is the joke was in bad taste and NOT just because she has Alopecia but because he joked about it in front of her husband.

Sure, they're both actors... LOLOLOL. But to say Will Smith didn't take it personally (assuming it's real) is obviously a little OFF.

Sure Chris Rock was making a joke about her hair and her being an actor... LOL. I get all that but I also GET why (again, assuming it was real) Will Smith slapped him. He took it personally and why shouldn't he?

Back