Getting medieval on vhs-c

I was wondering about the best way to purposefully damage video tape - going for a home movie look for a few scenes. I thought of running a small magnet across the tape, but I'm afraid of completely erasing it. Do you think crumpling the tape is a good idea?

Don't you use a computer? That's fine.

I would make a copy and then make a copy of the copy. And keep going back and forth. The quality should degrade each time you make a copy of a copy.

Also, record over a really old vhs (one that has something on it that you don't mind losing), if possible, that will also bring the quality down.

Not sure why you'd want to do that, though. And I also kinda agree with chilipie...

Using a magnet might look really cool. You should shoot some
footage and give it a test. Try several different things to see if
you get the look you want. It would be really cool if you posted
the results or told us how it looks.

Crumpling the tape could cause damage to the video heads. I think
all you’ll get with that method is drop outs and lines across the
image. But you could always shoot some footage and give it a test.

Dready has the best advice so far. Dub the footage a few times and
it will noticeably degrade the image.

There's stuff you can do digitally as well- FXhome's software has some built-in plugins that can simulate scratches and old film...

Making copies of copies digitally might make it look like old SD video or bad web video as opposed to an old vhs look.

I'd back up the shit first on your computer and screw around with the digital options before you mess with the master stuff. Look around for after-effect tutorials...

Experimental suggestion (never tried it, but might spark a thought):
Try filming a dirty fishtank against a white wall (no fish). Poke the tank every once in a while so the water moves slightly.
Put it on top of your timeline and reduce the opacity.
??? Could look neat.... never know...

I'm just saying that there's probably a better option to try before whipping out magnets.

thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try copying the tape a few times. Yeah, I usually use hd. But the style of vhs tape really lends itself to my project well. I'll post a vid once I get it all together

hum, got me thinking.. do all your VHS hacking on a recording of a simple 18% grey field. Then when you have imported the finally footage you now have a texture that you can apply to any video.

Back