Getting actors?

Help needed--advice for finding actors

Hey guys!

This is something I've been brainstorming over for a while. I'm a "high school director/writer." Out of all the problems I have, the number one is getting actors. I've asked friends, and they basically say no. At my school, there is no theater department. All of my relatives either say no or are too young.

I don't know any other way to get actors.

I'm sure there's about 2 billion things I'm over-looking, but that's why I'm asking you. Every director was a "high school director" once.

I can't wait to hear (well, read) the reactions/answers.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
There are hundreds of hungry actors out there willing to work for free. Just make sure to feed 'em and have a GREAT script.

I normally find them in Craigslist, Mandy and NowCasting.

Good Luck!! :)

If you're not willing to drive an hour to make your dream come true, I'm afraid you're not gonna make it in this profession. Getting a film made is anything but easy and it's not going to just fall into your lap.

</tough-love>

It's not that i'm not willing to drive, it's just that at the moment I'm unable. It's a long story.

But yeah, I'd totally be up for shooting in Roanoke, God willing.

Depending on the demographic you're looking for, post fliers up at the nearest colleges. College students LOVE acting.

This is something I've also done, and it did work. I even went after two actors specifically, and got my male leads.

Without giving much away, my story is an homage to an old, classic tale. Ironically, about sixth months ago, these two actors actually played these specific parts in their college's play.

I was really stolen by their performances, and i said, "If I get to make this movie, around here, these are the guys."

I'm a wee bit nervous about the length of the film though. It's a pretty long-looking short for someone with little experience.

I have found many good actors here ...

http://www.actorspages.org/agent/index.php

... and have worked with them again and again over several years. You can get a pretty good feel up front if they are willing to put effort into it.

There is also Mandy.com, another big site for connectiing to actors and set production people.

I avoid craiglist at all costs.

Yeah, I really was open to try anything, basically, except craig'slist. I keep thinking I'll get some psychotic actor to come on set.:no: that wouldn't exactly be what i was going for.

And thanks for the links. I'll check that top one out.

Yeah, I really was open to try anything, basically, except craig'slist. I keep thinking I'll get some psychotic actor to come on set.:no: that wouldn't exactly be what i was going for.

That's what auditions are for. It's not just for judging their acting ability, it's also to weed out the crazies (which are usually far fewer than you'd expect.)

Okay, I realize you're in Southern Virginia. But this state ain't that big. If you're open to picking up and traveling all the way to RVA, you've got one hell of a resource just begging to be tapped.

VCU is the top public school for arts, has been for a long time. And their theater department is stellar. Maybe you don't make your talent come to you. Maybe you come to them. And I'd be happy to work as a collaborator/guide to this great city.

Back