From Screen Writing to Director

Hi, all!

I'm happy to have found a community like this as I've been on a similar one for screenwriters. I'm interested in learning as much as I can from you guys and look forward to it. I guess it's appropriate to ask my first question and i'm sorry in advanced if its been asked before...

What level of knowledge and in what field comes most in handy when trying to Direct a film. I have a technical background and i'm great with software (Photoshop, After Effects, Move Creator, etc) but have limited experience with actually working a camera. Is there a long process in learning how to operate one in order to get that "perfect" look in your film. Answers are much appreciated!:D

Welcome!

As a director you dont have to know the camera. That is the DP and his/her crews job. And yes to be able to give the look the director wants for his film, they have to have quite a bit of knowledge and experience.

However, due to lack of resources in indie features, people multitask and it is not unusual for a director to be operating his own camera.

To learn more, i would advise you research the old threads in the cinematography section and then ask us new questions or topics you dont understand.

:)

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Nah, this ain't rocket science, man. It's all about your creativity. I don't mean to sell the craft short -- there are TONS of little techniques that add up to a massive mountain of knowledge acquired by previous directors, but you really just need a creative soul, and the ability to visualize a story.

Like Ernest said, you'll probably be multi-tasking for some time, so that will add to the learning curve. But it's not some huge daunting task. Be patient, learn one thing at a time, have fun with it, and you'll progress as fast as you want to.

I greatly appreciate the prompt reply. I'll be sure to post questions in there proper place and look forward to the learning process. I definitely have a creative soul as I've been writing since as long as I can read and have always been told my stories deserve to be made into a film. Thanks again.

Film is a collaboration of many crafts, all pursued by talented individuals that are as passionate of their work as you are of your own. A Director is to both manage, and pursue the vision for the material, by motivating the crew, allowing an enviroment and relationship that will enable them to do so.

You will have to float between titles I'm sure, so learning the camera will certainly not be a waste of your time. But there are many components that are in the character of the Director, that are only discovered when he/she "takes the plunge" so to say. Although, with that said, there are preperations that will enable you to test the waters before it is you decide to dive. Scour Craigslist, Facebook, Shootingpeople etc. for any productions advertising vacancies, get yourself on set in any position possible, primarily as an extra pair of hands. This will allow you to gain a feel for life on set, for the creation process, and to secretly watch how the Director orchestrates his team.

It is also a great networking tool.

Enjoy, bud :)

Back