Friends, Liquor and Fireworks

Not sure where this goes, now that ViewFinder forum is gone... hope it's a good spot. :)

As many of you may know, Hunter S. Thompson ended his life back in February. In his will, he requested that his ashes be be shot out of a cannon.

That happened tonight.

August 20, 2005

Friends, Liquor and Fireworks at Hunter S. Thompson's Final Farewell

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 11:58 p.m. ET

WOODY CREEK, Colo. (AP) -- With a deafening boom, the ashes of Hunter S. Thompson were blown into the sky amid fireworks late Saturday as relatives and a star-studded crowd bid an irreverent farewell to the founder of ''gonzo journalism.''

As the ashes erupted from a tower, red, white, blue and green fireworks lit up the sky over Thompson's home near Aspen.

The 15-story tower was modeled after Thompson's logo: a clenched fist, made symmetrical with two thumbs, rising from the hilt of a dagger. It was built between his home and a tree-covered canyon wall, not far from a tent filled with merrymakers.

''He loved explosions,'' explained his wife, Anita Thompson.

The rest of the article can be found here.

The Thompson Estate released a few photos... here is one of them.

08_20_05_wire-hunter2_lg.jpg

Rest well, good Hunter.
smiley_patriot.gif

...one might say he went off with a bang!.... okay, okay, I know, I know, but some loser had to say it, I'm jus' glad it was my silly self.. :D

...godspeed, Thompson... how cool is that?

--spinner :cool:

I think Johnny Depp was the one (or one of the people) who fulfilled his wishes.

Watched the Cowboys play n MNF tonight. Al Michaels had a great line..."The set off fireworks during the pregame show. They shot off everything except Hunter Thompson."

I've often thought of being buried in a theater somewhere, that way I could sneek into R rated movies as a ghost.

Poke

Back