• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

FREE IDEA (the best movie ever)

How about a riff off of the Tenacious D song "The best song ever"

Its a movie ABOUT the best movie ever.. (as opposed to BEING the best movie ever)
Could be a fun mocumentary, or a serious expose.. you decide..

I'm guessing this thread will still be used for posting clips, maybe if we need ideas, suggestions, whathaveyou. Also, if an HTML is made info on how to upload/download whatever :)

I had an idea for a scene, either myself or someone who knows people reliable enough for a two min shoot. (BTW, I'm an extreme noob when it comes to screenwriting, if I don't get stuff right, don't kill me ;))

EXT. Neighbourhood sidewalk.

Enter camera person and reporter(Camera POV). They are following "Melanie", a Dolly Girl on greatest film ever.

(Reporter and camera running towards her)

Rep: Melanie! Melaine! A word! (Melanie turns. She has her hair pulled back and has on sunglasses).

Melanie: What do you want? Who are you?

Rep: You worked on the film--

Melanie: Shut up! I'm not saying anything! (Starts to walk away) Reporter follows

Rep: Come on, I need this! You worked on the set of-(Melanie stops)

Melanie: Don't talk to me about that film! They could be anywhere, are you insane.--(she stops, sighs. Speaks in quieter voice) Look, that film is trouble. Do you have any idea how much of an effect it's had?

Rep: Yes, that's why--

Melanie: No you don't! "They" are furious. People are being chased with torches, falling into spiritual fervors, swearing they'll never watch another film again, that nothing will come close to this-(beat) This could end modern film as we know it. To think I had a hand in--(they are interrupted by a squealing of tires. The camera swings and catches a black car stopping across the road, two people in black get out, wearing sunglasses.

#1: We warned you!

Melanie: Oh god, no! No, I didn't mean it! (#2 covers the camera, telling him to get the hell out here general chaos. The camera thuds to the ground in the scuffle, we hear thumping as the reporter gets beat)

Melanie:The world will know! The world will know! (The camera i picked up in time to shoot her saying this as the two drag Melanie into the car and roar off down the road.

Reporter: My god! What...what horrors! What savagery! This is incredible! I....what have we become?! I....horrors... (We hear choked "sobs") I can't believe what we just saw.......(to camera person, changing to enthuisastic businesslike voice) Did we get that?

Camera: Yep, got it all.

Rep: Good stuff. You hungry?

Camera: yea, a burger would be good. You're buying.

Rep: Aw, man, I bought last time.

(footage cuts)

Just an idea, but can be played with.....yes? No?

Last edited:
Im not drooping my camera! (but nice action!)

You could tweak the end so we discover the reporters informed on her so they could get the good shot.. that would suck.. have one of the slugs slip the reporter a $20.

I didn't mean literal drop obviously(I've figured a way to make it look that way in past ;))

I like the bribe, that adds a nice touch. probably right after the "sobbing", we see the bills in hand. Would go nicely with the "want to grab a bite" comment too.

So, I did a screen grab up my redo with updating lighting (thanks to DreadyLocks for her suggestions :) They work well!

4508298666_0e9669ab34_m.jpg

I tried using the third lamp, but when I was doing (following the directions) it kept giving too much light, and took away from the effect above (which works marvelously!) If I have one lamp outside, and one behind, where if anywhere can I put the third light to accentuate the above image, rather than wipe out the effect? I tried what Dready suggested, but I kept losing the light from the window on the face.

Other than playing with contrast in post, in there any other way of dimming the background light while keeping the effect(other than going to a lower light bulb)?

That looks great! My only suggestion for the third light is to make sure it's dimmer than the outside light. A fader would be nice, but maybe you could try putting something over the lampshade the make it less strong?

That's what I've been fiddling with in post...course I could get real tricky and film a dimmer light and mask it in the same place, the lighting would be the same, but I can get a dimmer background, but even that's tricky. I may just have to fiddle more in post, but it does look a lot better, thanks for the tips! The lighting outside makes a TREMENDOUS difference:). Unfortunately I accidently busted the class casing around the lamp base(lamp still works). I had to bust off the rest ofof the frosted glass-but I used the opportunity to get some really great busting glass sounds which I think I might work into the scene(mob sounds, busting windows, sirens....I could have some post editing fun with sound :))

Last edited:
Here's the 2nd take: Sound still problematic, may need to ADR (of course, with the different versions, be interesting to see what people dub over :)) I await my budget next to get a decent microphone....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfwJVP3h3I

Thanks for the lighting suggestions from Dreadylocks, found a way to dim things down in post, give a more Film Noir feel.

As far as freaking you out Wheatgrinder (in a good way;)), I find the reaction interesting, how many people commented on my Delivery Day Short (the "extended cut" is coming-cheap plug!) commented on how the silence and mask kind of freaked them a bit (I had one friend who watched it, and liked it, had to put aside the idea she was going to whip out a knife and start stabbing-he's a horror buff;).

I could get all Psych 101 and suggest something about being programmed for facial expressions ect, ect. Who knows, maybe i've got an avenue here that hasn't been explored much-have to see I guess. I do have a short planned down the pipe that uses non-masked people actually talking-we'll have to see how that goes.

Last edited:
I should say I also added some sound effects and did a bit of a redo on the dialogue (there is new audio for it) just in case anyone thought it was the EXACT same dialogue(so maybe didn't give er another listen ;))-sounds more "lively" now-sirens, windows breaking, that sort of thing.

Thanks for the compliment-I'm hoping to do an every cleaner sound with a microphone-but visually, this is pretty close to what I'm going to submit.:)

Back