First Look - Panasonic HD

It will be interesting to see what happens to the DVXs price! The thing is though this cameras really not in the same league as the DVX. It's a step up (hence the reason Panasonic is going to keep producing the DVX). They're designed for different price ranges.

So far the only official word is that it will be under 10,000 USD and priced "competitively with the Sony Z1." The Z1 is going for about 5,000 over at B&H so I suspect we will see this camera in the same area - most likely slight higher. Maybe 6K?

Heck, with this camera though you wouldn't need to buy another camera for a VERY long time... This really gives enormous power and quality to indie film makers!

The sad thing is I don't know what to do with my DVX now! :D

Shaw said:
The sad thing is I don't know what to do with my DVX now! :D

I got a birthday coming up...
smiley_ninja.gif

I'm definitely getting one...

Shaw said:
WOW! If you're an indie film maker you'll want to take a look at this sucker! It looks like it will be *the* camera to have!

http://www.whatsnewatnab.com/search/code.php?code=031

SPECS:

Records to P2
1080i
1080p (24, 30)
720p (24, 30, 60)
DVCproHD
DVCpro50

A 4:2:2 1080p HD codec!!!

I'm definitely getting one when availalble. I knew I should have waited for it. My DVX100A has hardly any hours on it... Oh well, I can always sell it I suppose. I hope the lens thread size is the same --that way we can use the anamorphic adapter to create "scope" --LOL.

filmy

Sorry, Zen, looks like I'll be needing cash for a new camera ;)

I have the same problem Filmy. I got a DVX only a good 5-6 months ago. Too bad really as I haven't used it much in that time period and I'm sure ebay will be full of DVXs tomarrow.

My only worry is storage space and processor speed now! Well, that and finding 6-10K....

I'm in :D

New information:

The camera will record progressive 1080 footage with a standard pulldown just like the DVX. I don't know why and I don't know if the 720p footage will require the same. Sort of a bummer but manageable if we can connect hard drives up to this sucker (a very strong possibility).

Also I'm pretty sure a good LaCie hard external drive will be needed for this sort of data storage. You can get a good terabyte (!) of storage for about 900 USD and a 500GB drive for about half that. Pretty nice! Comes with a nice fast Firwire800 connection as well (twice as fast as usual). A terabyte will hold about 85 hours of 1080p footage.

Better Picture as well:

topimg2.jpg

Last edited:
I've got it!

A band of filmmakers notoriously known as Poke, Will Vincent, Spatula, and Shaw get together thru an underground indie website known as indietalk.com and discuss how to rob a bank in order to purchase the prized camera offered by Panasonic the HVX200. They set a date to rob a bank and decide to film it with their DVX100a as a send off to that model.

Poke "the point man", Shaw "the muscle", and Will Vincent "the eye" head into the bank while Spatula "the driver" circles around the block a few times in a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang running over pedestrians who get in his way GTA 3 style.

The three foot soldiers rob the bank without a hitch and stash the money in a DVX100a camera case. Will Vincent who was chosen to film the robbery trips as he runs out of the bank and gets killed as the DVX slams into his head.

Shaw who's carrying the big hand canon (the M249 SAW Machine Gun) stops Poke and asks "what should we do?" Poke who's carriying the camera case full of money orders Shaw to drop his weapon and start filming. Just as Shaw is about to pull the DVX from Will Vincents cold dead hand Poke draws his gun on Shaw and fires into his chest (Han Solo style...but don't worry the special edition version will have Shaw fire first). Shaw being the ever dedicated filmmaker that he is keeps his subject (Poke) in frame. Poke draws his weapon one more time, finds his mark, and fires a single bullet into Shaw's forehead. Poke grabs the camera from Shaw's dead hand and starts filming.

Poke hears the roaring engine of the Mach 1 Mustang and frames his shot to get the car rounding the corner like a bat out of hell. The bloody and dented hood of the Mach 1 Mustang comes to a screeching halt infront of Poke. Poke walks in front of Spatula and asks "Did you have a good time?" Spatual replies "Heck yeah!" Then Poke orders Spatula to open the trunk. While Poke puts the camera case in the trunk of the car Spatula looks over at his two dead filmmaker buddies. Spatual asks Poke "what happened?" Poke answers back with a deadly bullet to Spatula's head.

Poke leaves Spatula's dead body on the street and gets in the car. He rests the DVX (still rolling) on a tripod cap specially mounted on the dashboard of the car and points the camera towards him. He flips the LCD so he can frame the shot on himself. Then he leans over to the glove compartment and pulls out his treasured Blue Harvest baseball cap. He puts the hat on, looks into the DVX, and says "there can only be one".

The Mustang peels away to make a great getaway...but wait, just when Poke thought the coast was clear....BAM!!! He gets side swiped by an ice cream truck. The impact sends the Mustang flippling over and over (hollywood style) until it comes to a stop on its rooftop. In the chaos the camera case gets thrown out of the trunk of the car and slides to a stop in front of a filmmaker turned homeless person named Francis who lost all his fortune shooting on 35mm film (we'll show this in the prequel).

The Evil Zen who taunts filmmakers by proclaiming that he can shoot better movies "with the lens cap on" strolls out of the ice cream truck unscathed and makes his way to the driverside of the smashed up Mustang. The Evil Zen leans down, reaches into the car past Poke's dead body, pulls out the DVX100a (still rolling), and proclaims out loud "This is the best birthday ever!". The Evil Zen then stops the camera from recording, ejects the robbers tape tossing it to the ground, and walks off into the sunset.

An independent filmmaker by the name of Rick just happened to capture this whole scene on the Panasonic HVX200 in 1080P at 24fps. He was savvy enough to steal the camera from NAB (shh...dont tell anybody) instead of robbing a bank and waiting 6 months to purchase it with the stolen money (hehe).

Rick walks up to the discarded MiniDV tape that the Evil Zen left behind. He picks up the tape and takes it home. There he sees a golden opportunity to take the robbers footage combining it with his 1080p footage and creating a black & white short film for the indietalk.com contest known in underground circles as "Round 3 - My film will beat your film!".

Rick wins every prize offered by the contest, even beating out the Evil Zen who turns in a very dark comedy titled "Lens Cap".

The End.

----------------

Sorry i decided to have a little fun with this.

Rick

Thank you, Rick. I cannot thank you enough for allowing me the opportunity to drive such a beauty of a vehicle (and have my blood splattered on the interior), even if only in prose.

Watch out for the revenge of the robber/renegade/zombie filmmakers in the sequel...
:evil:

-Spatula-

Back