First lights

So I'm investing in my first set of lights. They have to be as cheap as they get. Now I have questions on what type of bulb to purchase whether it be Halogen, Incandescent, or Fluorescent. Also when I was looking online there was work lights but they had grills on them. I assume this would interfer with the actual light coming out. Can these grills be taken off or no?

thy can come off, but they are useful on.. you can clip on gels and what not.. Iv not noticed any interference from the grills..

Wil the grills leave lines in my light?

My budget is around 50 bucks atm...yeah really low. I was looking at some incandescent clamp lights too and was wondering if halogen bulbs could fit in. Are they halogen incandescents?

The best bang for your buck, at $50, will be a China Ball. The ball (and socket & bulb, sold separately) should run you about $20 altogether.

Scoop/clamp lights are also really cheap, and very useful.

Selection of bulbs, in two color temps. It's easy enough to buy "daylight" bulbs these days, as well as regular ones. Halogen bulbs don't fit in regular light sockets, btw. It's up to you if you want to get incandescent bulbs, or the newer CFL. (CFL put out much less heat, which can be useful)

Then, if anything's left over - work lights.

That's the order I'd go in. You can also search for "Home Depot lighting" on the forums, for several threads on what to raid at supply stores. :)

The best bang for your buck, at $50, will be a China Ball. The ball (and socket & bulb, sold separately) should run you about $20 altogether.

Scoop/clamp lights are also really cheap, and very useful.

Selection of bulbs, in two color temps. It's easy enough to buy "daylight" bulbs these days, as well as regular ones. Halogen bulbs don't fit in regular light sockets, btw. It's up to you if you want to get incandescent bulbs, or the newer CFL. (CFL put out much less heat, which can be useful)

Then, if anything's left over - work lights.

That's the order I'd go in. You can also search for "Home Depot lighting" on the forums, for several threads on what to raid at supply stores. :)

So if i went for the 3 light system would I go with 3 china balls or different variations with a clamp light.

I also here bulbs like incandescents and CFL don't light very much. So would a halogen work light be better?

Iv never noticed any shadows from the grills.. but YMMV.

$50 rocks. Hit thrift stores and CL. In that mode, its more what you can find rather than what you want.. figure that anything that has a bulb and a stand is a great addition to your setup.

Halogen work lights on stands put out a lot of useful light and are a great value.

The scoop lights (check are nice, but are best with CFL bulbs and used up close to the subject, like a portrait.

Here is some HomeDepot online stuff.. just for refrence

$30
be94fe1a-1c2f-4310-8439-656c2e41f954_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

$11
1097da75-dc0d-46b0-b24c-c6e76c30076c_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

china balls are more a specialty item. You'll want one, but I think you need work-lights more at this point. $50 is your STARTING budget, but if you can squeeze $15, $20 a month, you'll have a great kit in no time. Keep you eye on garage sells and CL like I said. I picked up some pro-ish smith victor kit for $50. I pride my self on finding deals, where in America are you located?

china balls are more a specialty item. You'll want one, but I think you need work-lights more at this point. $50 is your STARTING budget, but if you can squeeze $15, $20 a month, you'll have a great kit in no time. Keep you eye on garage sells and CL like I said. I picked up some pro-ish smith victor kit for $50. I pride my self on finding deals, where in America are you located?

Metro Detroit is my location.

So with with that stand ( which looks amazing) would I still be able to set up a 3 light system or should I not worry atm. Because I'm starting my first short and wanted some sort of lighting.

So I see the Stand Halogen could somewhat be 2 lights, so would the China Ball be number 3?

I think solely for the money, work lights are a better deal, I mean 500 watts with a lamp for like 8 bucks is pretty inexpensive, BUT in the long run and in general, I prefer clamp scoops (which I literally just now came from buying another 4 of at $7 a pop for the 10 inch and $6 each for 6 inch.), because they are lighter and can be clamped where you need them (or modified to stand mounted on relatively inexpensive stands). I personally like a lot of little bits of light myself, and to me offer far more control (But it depends what you are doing). I do have work lights but I rarely use them. Now and then you can find like 3 piece sets of used scoops on stands (Smith-Victor etc) for like 60-70 bucks that have higher wattage sockets (which is something to be mindful of with scoops), but they get snatched up pretty quick.

-Thanks-

The one that only showed vague info I think only consist of a stands...

I called the guy with the Smith Victor and they said 50 bucks would be fine. It's just I don't have all 50 on me atm, my friend is supplying the rest. So i just told them I call them back when I know if I'll definately be buying.

The is it better value that the 3 light one?

Back