Firewire VCR?

i know they exist, but the only ones I can find hav built in DVD recorders and cost a small fortune. are there any that arent so expensive? just the vcr? i get footage from people and would love to be able to edit it, but cant because i dont have a dv converter, and i figure it would be a lot easier to get a firewire vcr so i can record back out to a vcr tape. are there any relativly inexpensive ones out there?

joefreerider603 said:
i know they exist, but the only ones I can find hav built in DVD recorders and cost a small fortune. are there any that arent so expensive? just the vcr? i get footage from people and would love to be able to edit it, but cant because i dont have a dv converter, and i figure it would be a lot easier to get a firewire vcr so i can record back out to a vcr tape. are there any relativly inexpensive ones out there?

I don't see anything about VHS in his post... LOL.

Unfortunately, firewire player/recorders are expensive. Nobody has made a cheap one as of yet. Cheap compared to regular VCRs. There are a couple of cheap ones out there in that the price has come down a bit on the last couple of years...

Having said that...

Why not just buy a cheap MiniDV camcorder to use as a player? Lots of people do that and it works just fine since you're simply using 1s and 0s.

Just a thought...

filmy

well i am getting a minidv camera, but i want to be able to use other video formats with it that cant be plugged into a computer. i could get a dv converter, but id like some of the freedom the firewire vcr has.

i know they are a lot more expensive than regular vcrs, but what would i expect for a (comparativly) inexpensive one. one that plays VHS, because i know theyre out there

If you're getting a mini-DV camera anyway, look for one that has a feature called "passthrough".

You'll be able to plug anything in on one end of the camera, and you can push it out as DV through the Firewire output in real time.

Maybe even pick up a cheap used Digi-8 camera, with passthrough.

I'm confused as to what you're looking for? I've never heard of a FireWire VCR, nor am I sure what it would do. A VCR plays VHS tapes... you can get miniDV decks, and even combo units with a miniDV deck and a standard VCR (I imagine you can go from one to the other with those), but the cost ~$2000. The cheapest solution for simply playing miniDV tapes is a cheap camcorder...

there are VHS VCRs that have built in dv converters, so you can play VHS onto a computer through firewire. i know B&H has VHS DVD writer combos that plug into a computer via firewire. I want to know if there is one without the DVD writer.

also, does the GL2 have "passthrough"? i am hopefully going to be able to get one in the next year or so, and what i've read has made it sound like there is, but the guy who is in charge of the cameras at my school who's GL1 & 2s i use knows nothing about it. he also has no need for it, which might explain why.

i cant see any advantages in this 'Firewire VCR' compared to using a minidv camera. Sure you have to record the footage from the vhs onto the mini dv tape, and then to the computer instead of going from the vcr straight onto the comp but surely its not that much of a hastle?

Im talking to a Kodak tech guy and he was telling me about DVD recorders are going to get cheap because Kodak was investing in Data Recorders that will store gigs of space. Kind of like an Ipod for video.

They will be needed when Hi Def camcorders will hit the market in the next 3 years. Everything on the shelves in the next 5-6 years will be Hi Def. I doubt (other then mini cams) will they even sell 4:3 video equipment in major stores by then.

So huge data storage will be needed and there will be a demand for them which will make it profitable for companies like Sony and Kodak to produce.

DVD recorders are expensive now but by this fall they will be well under 300 bucks for higher end ones from what he was sayin.. at least by next summer. The market is going to be saturated with high tech stuff very soon. and now that Wi-Max (very fast internet) is coming out and will make broadband (on a t-3 level) more affordable for the average household, Im guessing Video Phones with fluid motion will be a thing of the past for most american homes.

Bottom line is Why invest in this VCR recorder when you will not be happy with it in the next year or so.

I doubt you'll find just a VCR with a digitizer inbuilt... it would be a pretty small niche, I think. But (correct me if I'm wrong), an analog capture card runs about $50. And you can plug your VCR into that, and convert to digital video...

You can buy Firewire boxes that do the same thing. Not sure on prices...

Back