Finding music for you movie?

'sup, fellow Kiwi. :cool:

There are more bands than you can shake a stick at, who'll gladly let you use their original music... for free. Scour through sites like MySpace, where there's an endless stream of unsigned bands that play what you are looking for.

Simplest way is to just get in contact with them, and ask. If they agree, then a simple release form will do the trick. (This assumes that they wrote their own songs, of course - cover bands are a different kettle of fish) Most unsigned bands are thrilled to be a part of a soundtrack. It's win-win all around. They get exposure via your film project, and you get free (and hopefully great) music.

If you're looking for signed bands on labels, or famous songs, then you usually need to go through ASCAP or BMI. They have tools on their website to give you an idea on what ballpark figure you'll be lookin' at payin'... and also, a mind-numbing variety of options to fit what you are doing exactly. Bit of a pita, tbh.

A "signed" band with a label is most likely going to want money. Maybe a little if they are an indie band, if they are a major act, they will want thousands of dollars. Best bet is local musicians and unsigned bands found via myspace, craigslist, etc...

If you want to use existing hitmusic: check the website of your national organisation regulating the rights on Music. In the Netherlands that's BUMA/Stemra. You will have to pay them for the rights and they will pay the writer/composer/musicians...

You can also look for stockmusic labels.

Moby also offers 'stockmusic'.
For non-profit organisations it's free.
www.mobygratis.com/

About signed bands 'wanting money': when it's an existing song, copyrightlaws will dictate a minimum fee. (At least in here...)

Last edited:
I've been networking a lot lately (check out my intro thread, it's become an unofficial blog for me) and I know a music guy (score guy?) wanting to take on more projects, he's here in the UK but I'm sure you can work something out over the net. Send me a pm if you'd like me to introduce you via Facebook.

I don't know if he'll want money but I'm sure he might do it for free if he likes the project.

Love,
Ziggy

Just ask, its surprising how many people want to give you (often for free or as close to free as possible) stuff for your movie. Music, even music composed specifically for you movie can be acquired.

I'm currently finalizing a contract with one composer group and I have 3 others wanting to do work on the future films (including 1 local guy). There are tons of independent bands out there that do gigs in your local bar or restaurant who are more than willing to play something for your movie.

Just avoid the big-boys and signed bands or bands with bad agents, as they will ask for money (and often a lot of money).

Would the same principles apply if one was to make a short film to be posted on youtube? I do realise that if a copyrighted track is detected by youtube upon uploading, the audio track is disabled but someone on another forum posted something called "Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976." I've only had to use this one time for a flight simulator video that I made that had copyrighted music and I was able to get my audio back.

My advice would be:
1/Find someone you know who could help you - a music student, a friend with some musical talent - and see if they'd like to get involved. Use music software that generates samples, some of these can sound great but others not so! Might have to fork out some cash to get the best stuff.
2/Purchase royalty free music - do a quick google search - there are hundreds of great tracks out there at affordable prices, you'd be surprised :D

Hope this helps, my bro and i made a video about how we got music for our short film written - it might be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhZjI3H0wA

thanks x

i just finished a couple short films and i needed a couple of rap songs for the soundtrack. my friend suggested this band and i thought they were a little too well known to let me use their stuff. well i found their website and messaged them not really expecting them to answer and a day later they responded saying that i could use their music.
once the vid was up on youtube they even posted it to a couple of their own websites.

so just take a chance and ask. the worst that could happen is they'll say no

Back