• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro - best price?

I paid like $660 for mine on eBay when was selling it for $1000 and others for $990. That might still be Apple's price, haven't looked in a year. The eBay seller had a few copies and said they were from a retail store going out of business. I got it in the mail and sure-nough, legit full (not educational) version and sealed packaging with the ape price sticker on it. Serial inside was fine.

So short answer, definitely shop around :) if nothing else, if you buy from Apple you will pay sales tax, where if you buy from an online retailer outside your state you don't. That's 6-10% depending on where you live.

Find a friend that goes to a college that sells FCP. Give them money to buy it for you. At Ohio State with student discount the Final Cut Studio package is only $350.

Find a friend that goes to a college that sells FCP. Give them money to buy it for you. At Ohio State with student discount the Final Cut Studio package is only $350.

Yep, educational discount will get you the cheapest copy by far. It varies by university/college and you won't be able to upgrade at a discounted rate like with the full version, but it's often less than a third of the price so it's not really a problem.

Thanks for the ideas folks. I really need to get the professional (not educational) package. I'll check eBay and see what I come up with! Cheers :)

No dude you can buy whatever version you want. Its just that student discounts are great. Its still the full/pro version. Just check before you buy. The only time I've seen "student version" was on an AutoCAD program I had. And the only difference there was a line at the bottum of the project that read educational use only. Well the code was deleted and I had a full version. But I don' think this is the case with FCP

i'm sitting at my brand spanking new Mac feeling very smug and loving it, but having the same thoughts as J...

Even the student versions (and I think that I can only get a 20% reduction at the moment) are expensive...

Also, in a related point, how do you do a right click on a Mac?

i'm sitting at my brand spanking new Mac feeling very smug and loving it, but having the same thoughts as J...

Even the student versions (and I think that I can only get a 20% reduction at the moment) are expensive...

Also, in a related point, how do you do a right click on a Mac?

Congrats! I need to upgrade in the near future, my MacBook Pro is starting to die…

Control + click, or (if you're normal) open System Preferences, go to mouse and tick the box for "Secondary click".

None of the media/film teachers at my college worked out how to turn it on… it's only because I popped back in the other week that it actually works.

Option-Click is right click, or go into system preferences - mouse and turn right click on. It's default off for some reason. If you have a laptop, you can turn two-finger tap on for righ click, and two finger scrolling on. All very useful things that are default off.

Thanks gents! :)

I'm loving it and can't wait to 'get creative'. I've got Apple mad recently with this and the iPad but it seems to be worth it. They looks so damn pretty as well. I've never seen a 27" computer screen before so this is like a weird dream :P

Yeah, my MacBook Pro seems to be getting a bit slower these days, but I haven't jacked it up with all the memory it can hold and need to do that. Still, I may just throw down for a refurbished 27-inch iMac and FCP studio all in one swoop via Apple. I'm been super happy with MacBook which was certified refurbished back in 2008 I think.

IMO - Keep it legit. Don't steal software. Even having someone who is a student purchase the software for you is essentially stealing. Besides, it's not worth the effort. With CS5 you have to send documentation that you're an active student, then you have to go forward with registering software under someone else on your computer and so on and so forth.

If you can find it on ebay, awesome! Go for it.

That's what I did with CS5. Got approved for a credit card and dropped 1600 bucks on that sucker. Now is the fun part. Make the money back in 6 months so I don't get hit with interest.

If anyone needs any editing work, hit me up! I'll work cheap :)

I've owned my refurbished MacBook since 2008, got a great deal and it's been a trooper. I recently added 6GB of Ram and needed to get a new superdrive that I'm installing myself.

Did you buy a new MacBook?

Back