Filming "the bomb"

filmthebomb.jpg

The NY Times has been putting out a few articles, recently, about the documentation of photographers who shot the mind-blowing footage during the golden age of atomic testing.

As for the atomic cameramen, there aren’t that many left. “Quite a few have died from cancer,” George Yoshitake, 82, one of the survivors, said

Film historians say the unit tested many technologies that Hollywood later embraced, including advanced lenses and cameras, films and projection techniques.

The most recent article (as of now, of course :rolleyes:) is called "The Bomb Chroniclers", linked below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/science/14atom.html?hpw=&pagewanted=all

Pretty interesting overall. Tbh, I find it quite odd how something so devastating can also hold such hypnotic appeal.

Tbh, I find it quite odd how something so devastating can also hold such hypnotic appeal.

Isn't that human nature, though? There's a reason the saying "Like watching a train wreck." exists. We know as civilized people we aren't supposed to desire the sight of devastation and carnage, but something inside us will not let us look away.

That's the only explanation I have for why my wife stays married to me.

A number of years ago there was offered on television a two VHS set narrated by William Shatner of the atomic bomb testing program. I jumped for for the phone to order my copy of "Trinity and Beyond: THE ATOMIC BOMB MOVIE." It was great...a Hollywood FX artist had restored this footage frame by frame. New music by the Moscow Symphony. Shatner. Even a 3-D section.

When I placed my order, the also offered a two VHS set documenting the filmmakers themselves, called "The Atomic Filmmakers." I enjoyed this even more than the original film.

EDIT: upon reading the article, I see "The Atomic Filmmakers" referenced.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting overall. Tbh, I find it quite odd how something so devastating can also hold such hypnotic appeal.

I know what you mean. Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction is probably my favorite kinda story, movie, and game. Iv been obsessing over te fallout series sice it came out in 1997.

Back