Film Permit vs Stills Permit vs NO Permi in Los Angeles

Shooting in LA for the first time and worrying about permits. I read that lots of indie productions either shoot without a permit or get a stills permit which is cheaper. Cannot afford the $775 for a film permit.

Anyone have any experience shooting in LA with no permit or with only a stills permit? If a cop stops you, will he know the difference between a stills permit and a film permit?

Yes but we are filming with DSLR camera so I think we can easily pass as a photo shoot.

See how it goes and let us know. You are really asking a moral question. Like, "Should I pirate this software or buy it?" The state requires a permit, so we won't tell you to not get one. If you get away w/o great, or by claiming stills great, post back and let us know your experience.

Interesting. Not sure I want to add forgery to the list of crimes committed to get my film made. lol

You could try bribing the police with a few boxes of doughnuts.
IDK.. one crime is as good as another.

I would suggest looking up the jail time you may be accountable for, before you commit any criminal act.

don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
i think in LA of all places they would be able to tell the difference between a video shoot and a photo shoot.

maybe they won't be vigilant? maybe they'll love doughnuts.

Last edited:
Yes but we are filming with DSLR camera so I think we can easily pass as a photo shoot.
If you are looking for excuses to give the authorities that's a good
one. I was answering your question. The police in Los Angeles know
the difference. If you are in an area that requires a permit and you
have the wrong one you will be asked to leave. There is no jail time
associated with filming without a permit. You may be cited and fined
but no one will be arrested and tried and end up in jail.

Where do you need to shoot?

If you are looking for excuses to give the authorities that's a good
one. I was answering your question. The police in Los Angeles know
the difference. If you are in an area that requires a permit and you
have the wrong one you will be asked to leave. There is no jail time
associated with filming without a permit. You may be cited and fined
but no one will be arrested and tried and end up in jail.

Where do you need to shoot?

The only outdoor shoots are in NoHo and Burbank. Going to steal the shots on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Hoping there will be nobody around and that cops will be leanient since there is no public inconvenience.

So how did it go? Were you able to shoot without getting hassled, fined or jailed?

So far so good. Still have more to go. Found a couple things to our benefit. 1. Shooting EARLY on saturday or sunday. 2. Shooting with DSLR and tripod. No steadicam/shoulder rig. We look like a photo shoot. 3. Keeping it small. Have only essential staff nearby (small group) everyone else lay back. Actors on lav mics and sound guy laying low.

Back