• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Film Binocular Thing?

In the link below, the DP or Director or someone in the crew is using this film binocular device thing that I don't know what it's call. I might now what it is but correct me if I am wrong. I think it is used so they can see what the shot will look like before actually filming it. If you could please help me figure out what this device is called and maybe even tell me where you can look into buy them that would be awesome! Thanks.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3282734336/tt1059786

I think they are different things Jake.... One lets you use actual camera lenses, the other just frames the FOV.... pentafinders have a focusing screen.. like a 35mm adapter. I imagine they are so long so the image can be flipped in the tube... or use prisms like this one..

mcs0024.jpg

Of course I just realized a great REUSE for 35mm adapter technology, like a letus extreme.. you can get one for $500 and use it as a pentafinder by sticking an eye piece on one end..

Last edited:
There's an iPhone app I use called directors viewfinder. It's a great low-cost solution and you can select your camera and all the lenses you have available and they all appear as boxes on the screen to show you the difference. You can zoom in and out as you like. $7 beats $300 for an entry director's viewfinder, and it does crop sensor adjustments for DSLR folks.

Back