festival slot buyout

Hi,
I am from India and thinking of moving to Hollywood by 2013 and begin by making movies in the production budget of $100k and I want to set aside a budget of $20k for getting a slot at say telluride/Toronto festival for my movies.

Will that be enough and Do I need to contact an agent or sales agent to get this festival thing done?

Gururaj

I wasn't aware that one could buy a screening a Telluride
or Toronto film festivals. Where did hear about this method
of getting a movie into these festivals?

Yeah, I don't think those festivals sell screening slots, at least not for the official festival itself, but possibly at a venue that is nearby those festivals, but it would not be an directly affiliated with the film festival.

LOL:lol:

Hi,
I am from India and thinking of moving to Hollywood by 2013 and begin by making movies in the production budget of $100k and I want to set aside a budget of $20k for getting a slot at say telluride/Toronto festival for my movies.

Will that be enough and Do I need to contact an agent or sales agent to get this festival thing done?

Gururaj

Hi,
...I want to set aside a budget of $20k for getting a slot at say telluride/Toronto festival for my movies.

Gururaj

Maybe you could tell us how things are done in India and then we can tell you how they are done here. It would be educational for all of us, because you can't buy a slot for your movie at film festivals in the U.S.

So, just for your information;
You have to submit your finished film to whatever festival you are interested in -- say Telluride or Toronto -- and hope that it will be accepted. Many people who are making films say: "I'm going to enter it in Sundance," or whatever film festival interests them. What they mean is: they are going to submit the film. There is NO guarantee that the film will be accepted.

Big festivals have to swim through hundreds of finished independent films and then decide which ones are going to be accepted. To submit your film can cost anywhere from being free to costing $100 or more. Usually, submission fees are non-refundable. That's generally how its done here in the U.S.

How is it done in India?

-- spinner :cool:

Dude I have been making films on and off in India for the past 4 years..I works pretty much the same way as anywhere...yes connections can help you..but there is no buying slots in prestigious fests...lol

Maybe you could tell us how things are done in India and then we can tell you how they are done here. It would be educational for all of us, because you can't buy a slot for your movie at film festivals in the U.S.

So, just for your information;
You have to submit your finished film to whatever festival you are interested in -- say Telluride or Toronto -- and hope that it will be accepted. Many people who are making films say: "I'm going to enter it in Sundance," or whatever film festival interests them. What they mean is: they are going to submit the film. There is NO guarantee that the film will be accepted.

Big festivals have to swim through hundreds of finished independent films and then decide which ones are going to be accepted. To submit your film can cost anywhere from being free to costing $100 or more. Usually, submission fees are non-refundable. That's generally how its done here in the U.S.

How is it done in India?

-- spinner :cool:

is this a cultural thing? .. in States we don't consider bribes and kickbacks as normal business... so even though I'm sure that happens, its not expected and nobody would come right out and say "hey, Im budgeting $20K for bribes and kicksbacks.. "

but maybe thats just what it means to have "connections" in other parts of the world... ???

no dude...there is no bribing going on here when it comes to film fests... very prevalent in government related works though...corruption is a problem...
and film industry is mostly funded by middle-east mafias...so having connection here means a lil more than having a rich uncle who knows some exec of some studio...

that is why i have always aspired to work in european or american circuit...and so does he...and for that he shouldnt worry about such things...just make a damn good movie...:)

Back