favorite favorite David Lynch film

Seen Twin Peaks show and movie 26 times in my life.
All other Lynch work as I love his take on the surreal. Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Wild at Heart, and Blue Velvet (yes I even liked DUNE)...no one else does it like Lynch.

I will always feel TWin Peaks is his crowning achievement when watched all the way through the series then the movie. Wow...what a mind f&$k!

In Lost Highway, the scene where you first see Robert Blake is one of the freakiest moments ever captured on cinema. Yet then the man can do something like THE STRAIGHT STORY where it tugs at your heart strings. anyone a lynch lover?

Twin Peaks still is the top for me.....but I consider the film and the show one entity tied all together.

I remember watching Twin Peaks as a kid. My English was still weak and I didn't fully understand what was going on. But man, that show scared me as a kid. I have to say Lynch is probably the only guy who has ever scared me. I like him a lot. I should watch Twin Peaks again.

I have not seen most of his films.

I recall being really weirded out by Blue Velvet, when that was in the cinema, and having to leave. :blush:

So I'd have to go with Twin Peaks. I really loved that show. The Firewalk With Me was rushed, though. There's a really old thread on that here, somewhere. The ending was essentially a hatchet-job to tie things up for theatrical release in Europe, and was not shown here... 'til it became available as "bonus" material on a DVD release. Or something like that. It really was a ridiculous ending, solving the mystery in 30 seconds flat and running downstairs. :rolleyes:

I'm rambling. :)

The Firewalk With Me was rushed, though. There's a really old thread on that here, somewhere. The ending was essentially a hatchet-job to tie things up for theatrical release in Europe, and was not shown here... 'til it became available as "bonus" material on a DVD release. Or something like that. It really was a ridiculous ending, solving the mystery in 30 seconds flat and running downstairs. :rolleyes:

That was not Fire Walk With Me. That was the European version of the Twin Peaks pilot for which Lynch had to film a closed ending so it could stand on its own. FWWM is the prequel movie that came out after the show ended.

But anyway, i love Twin Peaks as well and i hope you give his movies another chance.

:)

Love most of his work, especialy his first work.

His best work...........ronnie rocket.....

Also love the movie he made with his daughter......I forgot the name.....It got bad gradings on IDMB......but realy likt it.

Blue Velvet. But if i counted Twin Peaks, then that is the grand champion of course.

I'm thrilled to see more Peaks Freaks here. I'm currently showing my girlfriend the show (making this my 3rd viewing of the series) but I honestly think I could watch the whole thing 20 more times and not get sick of it.

I've also watched Twin Peaks way more often than I should admit in polite company. My old VHS recorded off tv eventually being replaced by the commercial VHS tapes, then DVDs. The first season DVD set is one of the most beautiful DVD sets I own...followed WAY TOO MANY years later with a functional-at-best season two. I even have (and enjoy) a copy of On The Air (the Hurry-Up twins!)

I do agree that FWWM could have been a bit more, but what was there is awesome. It did resolve the MAJOR cliffhanger from the series (Cooper does make it through the Black Lodge and into the White), though Season Three was supposed to be all about that journey. I REALLY wanted to see that. I also would have liked to seen Audrey in the film, but she wasn't necessary and, hey, David Bowie! There's also reportedly a crazy amount of unreleased footage from the movie, and I would really like to see that as an "extended cut" some day.

I love all of his films (Lost Highway being on the bottom of my list, I think) also including Dune (which, with the exception of the Weirding Way turned into weaponized vocal amplification, was a way better adaptation than the tv miniseries, though the Children of Dune miniseries was pretty good. They both diverge from the book, but Lynch does it with better actors and a better budget. Really, we could have an entire thread about the pros and cons of Dune). I'm a particular fan of the Industrial Symphony, but mostly because I listened to the first Juliee Cruise album to death!

As much as I love Twin Peaks, I do think Inland Empire has to be my favorite. It's beyond a great film.

No tough decision here -- Blue Velvet. None of his other films come close. Not even. It's likely my top 2nd or 3rd favorite film of all time.

You can see the influence of Blue Velvet throughout my film. Lynch's style is fairly easy for a low budget filmmaker to mimic. Stanley Kubrick? Can't afford his vision.

Twin Peaks for me, then probably Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Eraserhead and Rabbits

Still haven't seen Dumbland though.

Back