F stop stuck at 5.6 in move mode on T3i?

I was using my T3i last Saturday at a gig, shooting photos with my 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8. However when I switch to movie mode the fstop seems to shoot up to 5.6? It's the same with my 18-55mm lens. Then another photographer with a 600d seemed to be shooting at 3.5 on her 18-55mm.

How do you control the fstop in movie mode? I always assumed it was what fstop it was in manual mode would then be the same in the movie. Does anyone know? Or does this happen to you too?

But they're prime lenses? And on the 18-55 it doesn't matter what I go to it always comes back to saying it's 5.6. The lens even closes a bit too, showing a lower fstop. Changing iso and shutter speed make no difference to it.
How do you control the fstop in movie mode though?

So it's for all three lenses and not just the 18-55mm which is a 3.5-5.6? If it's just the last one, try changing your fstop at different focal length settings.

If it's all three, have you tried rotating the two main dials while in manual and movie mode?

Just checking some obvious things here b4 we do any other tests.

Last edited:
So it's for all three lenses and not jus the 18-55mm which is a 3.5-5.6? If it's just the last ones, try changing your fstop at different focal length settings.

If it's all three, have you tried rotating the two main dials while in manual and movie mode?

Just checking some obvious things here b4 we do any other tests.

Yep all of them. I tried that there even, it still keeps saying 5.6.

Which dials do you mean? I can change the fstop in manual (photo) mode fine, but no matter what I seem to shoot at it goes back to 5.6. I shoot video in manual mode, control over shutter and iso, but I don't see any way of changing the fstop anywhere

Ok. Then it seems that there are no problems with your electrical contacts or lenses.

Try this in manual mode: You see the dial behind the shutter button? Rotate it. It should adjust your shutter speed.

Press and hold the Av button on the back of your camera. While holding it, rotate that dial again. See if your aperture changes.

I read the manual again, missed the line first time where it said, but thank you, it worked! Wow the difference is insane. Can't believe I've been shooting at such a high fstop for so long. This is going to help so much. I also feel like a complete newbie as the section is called :P Thanks for the help

I was in manual, but always assumed set to the automatically lowest fstop, then saw the 5.6 one day and started wondering. The difference when I put on the 50mm 1.8 is crazy! And the depth of field! :D Thanks so much for the help!

Back