Ever take a break from Filmmaking?

Has anyone ever taken time away from filmmaking? Maybe to rekindle a creative spark, or have different hobbies?

I've been holding my filmmaking desire hostage for the last few months... But I feel my previous motivation and desire slipping from all this time away.

I don't want to get so far gone, that I loose any lessons or skills....

But I also wanted to become a more well rounded person, read/write/play more. My hope is that taking a break might make me better at coming up with stories.

How long is too long away from the craft you think? Anyone have more success after a long hiatus than before?

Am I making a bad decision???? Haha.

You had a breakdown after you're second short movie. What happend?

It was a personal kinda breakdown. I had a lot of doubts and insecurities already, but when COVID hit... It just made everything feel trivial. I had a hard time accepting any sense of motivation or excitement for creative ideas/art/music... Felt like everything I was into or working on was pointless.

Maybe I shouldn't focus on creative works, and come to grips with reality....

Fortunately, I don't feel that way now. I can't imagine life without music, art, cinema. It would be a terrible place without some sort of artistic expression. I decided to just fully embrace the art, stop paying attention to the money/fame/marketing.... And not worry too much about what comes out of it.

Probably getting to deep... Haha. But that was basically why I had to take a break from all social media, filmmaking, and other things. I had to fix myself before I wrecked myself.

There was a time after the financial meltdown where I was working like crazy. So much work and it was difficult to keep up and of course, you don't think that's ever going to change. It kept going that way for a lot of years and now? Things are dead. I should rephrase that to... Things I wouldn't mind working on are dead. I get the occasional gig but at the same time? I'm highly aware that I'm no longer hustling like I was before. I like art. I like creating art... In fact, I used to be a painter way back in the day and actually made money from my paintings.

Unfortunately? The way things have morphed along the way of me doing my thing? Here we are in a world where anyone can literally hunker down and make a movie. Tools and people are available. Yet? The outlets simply aren't there anymore... I'm talking OUTLETS where you can make a LIVING. I get calls to go to Los Angeles for a meeting and I'm just not motivated these days... Or inspired. So much has changed and I personally feel like all these changes have hurt the DIYers who just want to make their own films. Sure... We've probably always KNOWN it would more or less have to be a hobby because microbudget filmmaking success is as elusive as hitting the lottery but it sure seems like there were more ways to make money back in the day when you could go direct to video.

It could be that I've just gotten OLDER too... I realize as I get older, no longer feel the inspiration to take risks (being honest here) especially when you realize the odds are almost always against you. Gone are the days where I want to throw $50K at a movie I want to make unless of course, there was a decent chance I could at least pay everyone who worked on it with me. As I've gotten older? I don't feel like I have the right to ask or persuade ANYONE to help me on a film unless I can pay them what they're truly worth.

All these things AND MORE can easily wreak havoc with one's psychology... On one hand? I'm glad I'm older and wiser because at least I feel like NOW I know what to really spend my time on because I know from experience, there will some kind of return.

On the other hand? I kinda miss that guy that just went against the grain, trying to make things happen with NOTHING. LOL.

At this point in my life? I just have to assume this is exactly what LIFE is about.

Last edited:
I appreciate you all sharing your personal feelings with me. It really helps.

Here I am, close to the retirement of my real job... And honestly I am unsure if I have the courage or energy to make filmmaking a viable money making venture. A hobby.... Maybe, if I can afford retirement... But I will still need to have a day job.

Hopefully that job will be flexible and not time consuming. Or maybe I'm just going to need to find a way to merge the two?

I can't predict the future by any means, but my mindset is to get my passion and artistic creations done by any means.... There's a part of me that doesn't feel like I've sacrificed enough or done enough. Maybe there is more in there somewhere? I just need the right amount of experience and drive?

I don't really know.

I appreciate you all sharing your personal feelings with me. It really helps.

Here I am, close to the retirement of my real job... And honestly I am unsure if I have the courage or energy to make filmmaking a viable money making venture. A hobby.... Maybe, if I can afford retirement... But I will still need to have a day job.

Hopefully that job will be flexible and not time consuming. Or maybe I'm just going to need to find a way to merge the two?

I can't predict the future by any means, but my mindset is to get my passion and artistic creations done by any means.... There's a part of me that doesn't feel like I've sacrificed enough or done enough. Maybe there is more in there somewhere? I just need the right amount of experience and drive?

I don't really know.

if you can make music videos you can get $ from cinematography

Making small commercials for local entrepreneurs could give a steady income. It will also increase your craft in film making. Weddings, funerals, sport games (not my cup of tea) its all possible. Documentary and editing are my biggest source of income. The biggest work is working for little to establish a reputation in your local environment. If your young and live with your parents this is easy. If you have bills to pay and social obligations...its gonna be more difficult.

Well at least your from around Milwaukee. That place has the best movie studio of america. Good breakcore scene also...

Last edited:
I do keep hearing advice on making music or wedding vids.

That would be incredibly hard to do right now, of course, with all the COVID things... But it is something I should probably plan for at least to give it a shot.

In the meantime, just working and grinding on projects to build skills and experience won't hurt. Just take what I can, nose to the grindstone.

Here in Nederland people that are working on music videos don't make much money because musicians are poor even when there good. Weddings ... I would look for a mate that wants to teach you and needs a second shooter. Corana won't be forever. But jeaaaa... you have to do what works for you. It's hard to focus in these dark and depressing time's. The most important thing is...Where here to listen to you.

Here in Nederland people that are working on music videos don't make much money because musicians are poor even when there good. Weddings ... I would look for a mate that wants to teach you and needs a second shooter. Corana won't be forever. But jeaaaa... you have to do what works for you. It's hard to focus in these dark and depressing time's. The most important thing is...Where here to listen to you.

Its good to have people to talk to, that's for sure. Thanks again for all the ideas.

How about drone videos for realtors? Big bucks. Shoot, edit, add their realty info, done. I would never want to deal with wedding planners or brides/grooms. Make some realty contacts that keep calling you back. Plus, the industry is there with covid. People are moving, etc.

How about drone videos for realtors? Big bucks. Shoot, edit, add their realty info, done. I would never want to deal with wedding planners or brides/grooms. Make some realty contacts that keep calling you back. Plus, the industry is there with covid. People are moving, etc.

That could definitely be a thing. Including color correction and editing could be a nice package deal too.

Not sure if you are near Door County but I imagine there's lots of possibility there. With all the lakes and lake lots and homes etc.
It would be a treck, but if the pay was good enough, it would be fine. I've been wanting to go and shoot the ice caves for a while now.

I have a name and brand logo ready to go for a production company if I take the leap. I just need to brush up a little on LLC's or small business rules and regs. Like, when can you actually consider yourself a business?

I'm stupid when it comes to these things, so I need to research a ton ahead of time.

Last edited:
Back