• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ever have that "aha" moment?

I've been struggling for months and months with an early part of my script.
Finally, that a-ha moment.

Just thought I'd share and shout it off the rooftops since my mind is free again at last!

:D

Woo!
smiley_pipe.gif

well thats great.you are back after a long time Jijenji ..where were you from so long?

by the way i also recently got the chance to do A-haa..:D

i recently completed 2 episodes (25 min each) of a comedy series (in URDU..my national languae) and for the first epi i got some good comments from my friend who is a script writer himself and working for 2 TV channels at the momment... ..

SO even i had A-ha experience........

any one else with same A-ha momment?

Regards

An Aha moment for me came at 2 in the morning. Was bouncing around ideas, when suddenly the whole story laid out, bam! I couldn't believe my good fortune! Only a 5 min short, but well on it's way to completion.

Hi Ad...I've just been busy and frustrated with my writing. Things are better now. Still, I've been on here from time to time. I'm not an expert or pro (hopefully one day), but I try to contribute when I can.

Congrats on your two episodes! Did you write them or film them? I'd check them out but my Urdu isn't very good. :)

Last edited:
Jijenji Hi

well i have written them. actually its a10 to 12 epi comesdy series and because its my first professional project where i will be working single handedly so i want to finish the whole series and then i will contact few pro houses which are my friends and few are interested in working with new people........more over the idea is really good from pakistani perspective............so i hope my idea will interest them.........when ever i will start filming i will certainly post pics and details on my blog.........

well and feel sorry that you people cant understand urdu other wise i would have got some useful criticisim from you all ...............anyways lets hope it works.

will start the 3rd epi after 2 days.:D

Regards

I have those moments, all the time. It's the primary reason I keep a white-board marker in the shower.

Typically I'll have the moment while I'm showering in the morning or washing my hair, and I'll grab the marker and scribble it all down on the side of the shower until I can get it recorded into my voice recorder, or on paper.

Had one this morning, in fact. :)

I've noticed that either while showering, or driving long distances, I tend to have the 'ah ha' moments.

I've been struggling for months and months with an early part of my script.
Finally, that a-ha moment.

Just thought I'd share and shout it off the rooftops since my mind is free again at last!

Fun! I LOVE those moments. Heart races, you wake early, too early, run to the laptop and brilliance flows. Can we bottle that? We'd make buh-millions!!

(had mine recently with a script coming together whether I liked it or not. Suuuuper Geeeenius...)

(Wylie Coyote? Anyone?)

Margo

Yes. All the time. And then I start hitting Google and discover that nine times out of ten I wasn't the first to think of it. I hate the Collective Unconscious. Or I'll write a sequence that was so vivid in my mind and seemingly unique only to connect it shortly thereafter to something else I read or saw. I get "Eureka!" shortly followed by, "damn!".

At least now I'm getting those early in the writing process and not after I've written dozens of pages (or a complete script). I used to take an idea and just run with it, and eventually hit a wall with it, scrap it and start something else. Now I'm starting with an outline of the whole story and characters, and working out problems before I even start page one of the actual script. Using this method I am recognizing problems well before I've spent too much time heading down a dead-end. I am also doing more research at the outset and not after the fact.

I am outlining a story now that started to sound a little too familiar, and then it clicked. So now I know where some of the inspiration derived such that I can change it up and make it different.

Why does writing always need to be a love/hate relationship? :)

Great responses everyone. I'm glad I started this thread.

Why does writing always need to be a love/hate relationship? :)

A great writer has to have the drive of a mountain climber. You have to search for the tallest peaks to conquer. And if you're lucky enough to conquer them all, you train even more so you can climb faster and faster, eventually searching for new paths that no one else has even dared to try. The great writer knows that every journey will involve pain and risk. Not every attempt will reach the summit. But when success is achieved, he or she can look down from the top of the world.

In short, great writing can best be described as a journey into the most dangerous corners of the mind, followed by the ability to return and tell the story with a sincere smile on your face and the desire to do it all over again.

Fun! I LOVE those moments. Heart races...

Quick story.

Marijuana helps my creative process a lot, because I can get excited about an idea and just run with it. The only problem is that sometimes I get so excited, I feel my heart racing a million miles an hour and I start having trouble taking deep breaths.

So one day, I get high. I start getting excited about a concept and I was thinking a million miles an hour while walking over to the bus. Adrenaline kicks in and my heart starts racing too. Then I notice I'm having a hard time breathing. Pretty soon, I'm not thinking about that exciting concept anymore, but the prospect of myself having a heart attack. It was around the time I was producing Party Hearty, so I had researched sudden heart attacks in young people quite a bit; I knew all the symptoms. I was recognizing those symptoms in myself. I started getting nervous. I wondered, what would be the irony of I were to die the same way the character in my movie dies? I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself down, but I felt like I had just ran two miles. I walked on, hoping it would stop. It didn't. The more it kept going, the more certain I was that it might just happen, the more anxious I got, the faster my heart would beat, and the faster my heart would beat, the more convinced I was that this was it. In the back of my mind I wondered, "Even if I survive this, I'm young. This shouldn't be happening to me. I've got some serious health problems." I swear, I started to feel my neck stiffening up.

So, thinking I had a very limited time to get help, I ran over to the Women's hospital that I happened to be walking by. Surrounded by pregnant women in the ER, they pumped me full of sedatives. My heart was running at about 185 bpm. Basically I had a panic attack for the first time.

The lesson here is, while it might be fun getting excited about ideas. Don't get too excited. It could land you in the hospital with a big fat bill to pay later. Be warned.

Quick story.

Marijuana helps my creative process a lot, because I can get excited about an idea and just run with it. The only problem is that sometimes I get so excited, I feel my heart racing a million miles an hour and I start having trouble taking deep breaths.

So one day, I get high. I start getting excited about a concept and I was thinking a million miles an hour while walking over to the bus. Adrenaline kicks in and my heart starts racing too. Then I notice I'm having a hard time breathing. Pretty soon, I'm not thinking about that exciting concept anymore, but the prospect of myself having a heart attack. It was around the time I was producing Party Hearty, so I had researched sudden heart attacks in young people quite a bit; I knew all the symptoms. I was recognizing those symptoms in myself. I started getting nervous. I wondered, what would be the irony of I were to die the same way the character in my movie dies? I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself down, but I felt like I had just ran two miles. I walked on, hoping it would stop. It didn't. The more it kept going, the more certain I was that it might just happen, the more anxious I got, the faster my heart would beat, and the faster my heart would beat, the more convinced I was that this was it. In the back of my mind I wondered, "Even if I survive this, I'm young. This shouldn't be happening to me. I've got some serious health problems." I swear, I started to feel my neck stiffening up.

So, thinking I had a very limited time to get help, I ran over to the Women's hospital that I happened to be walking by. Surrounded by pregnant women in the ER, they pumped me full of sedatives. My heart was running at about 185 bpm. Basically I had a panic attack for the first time.

The lesson here is, while it might be fun getting excited about ideas. Don't get too excited. It could land you in the hospital with a big fat bill to pay later. Be warned.

Whew! scary! I've had more than my share of panic attacks. I'm hoping I can recognize them starting now. Been a while though...knock on wood. Or in my case breath in for 4, hold for 4, exhale for 4, hold for 4. Helped alot, lot, lot. Surprisingly...

Margo

Back