• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Episode 2- any better

What should I work on?

Hey guys I had a thread a month ago about how i directed a Pilot episode for a little web series me and a couple of people I know worked on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtgoDQd1Qkc - pilot

So basically the majority of people thought that the acting and writing was good but the shot choice, and the editing made it feel as if we was in vacuum, and i thought should i reshoot and then decided not too, just to film part 2. So I did, now i took most of the criticism on board ( I Hope) and I would like to see what you think of Episode 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY15vD05TzU&NR=1 episode 2

I hope to hear something good but please be honest. thanks

Last edited:
OMG, so much better! Sound still needs upgrading (perhaps that's the next bit to work on). Acting is stronger... still feels a bit flat though. Headroom is a bit off in a couple of places. Editing and shot choice is SOOOO much better :)

Thanks, when I was thinking about reshooting the first episode I couldn't get the same location for the forrest scene. So shooting episode 2 just seemed right. I'm glad you guys liked it, what else could I do for the third episode, e.g. audio how can I make that better, i use the zoom h1, and shoot on a canon 60D...
Thanks

what else could I do for the third episode,
Keep at it.

The more episodes you make the better you will get. You
will never make a movie that every single person watching
will say is perfect so don't try. The second was much better
than the first. The fifth will be better than the third. Maybe
by episode ten you will no longer need to ask people how to
improve - you will be comfortable as a filmmaker.

Keep going; I love seeing the progress of a filmmaker.

Thanks, rik. Ive kinda got rid of my sound guy because he was lazy and i would ask him after every shot if the sound was okay and then he would just nod, and then it would peak and then sometimes it would be so low that bringing it up in post would bring all the gain and stuff so, i think for the close ups I may attach my mic (zoom h1) to my camera and then the DOP can do sound aswell.

Keep at it.

The more episodes you make the better you will get. You
will never make a movie that every single person watching
will say is perfect so don't try. The second was much better
than the first. The fifth will be better than the third. Maybe
by episode ten you will no longer need to ask people how to
improve - you will be comfortable as a filmmaker.

Keep going; I love seeing the progress of a filmmaker.

That's what I'm thinking of doing - do short episodes or film, but do it as an executive producer, so as to build my experience and contacts. I'm the sort of guy that needs experience, for better or worse.

I LOVE THE CONTRACTORS! I watched the first when I used to just browse on this site but I made an account to comment on it, cause I'm a really big fan! I love the actors, but can't find any info on them, and I love the humour in it.

I think episode 2 is a big improvement from the first one! When is episode 3 out?

Love the whole banana thing as well haha

Keep up the good work,

Tazio - Your Number 1 Fan!!! x

Pick out your one or two least favorite technical aspects of each episode and work on that in the next one... You'll improve quickly that way.

Thanks, I think the audio needs work, I've been working alot with audio, learning foley so I am going to be doing that in the later episodes. I love the handheld look so hopefully when i buy a shoulder mount ill be able to get better images but for what we have been doing so far.

The mic wants to be about 3 feet from the subject (or just brushing the edge of the frame on wider frames)... get a boom op who you treat as an equal with the camera op, he's doing the same job, but with a different frequency set of waves (sound rather than light). Get someone to monitor the levels while recording as well...that way, you KNOW you have the sound captured right. Have the boom op listen for the dialog and the recordist listen for the background noises.

Sound gathering tends to be treated as a second class citizen on indie productions because it doesn't have the sexy gear that shows immediately plausible results... I'll reiterate what I've been saying for a couple of years now... SOUND IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR PICTURE... it, and the staff capturing it, should be accorded the reverence associated with that statement.

Thanks, I am in college learning all this and I understand now what they say about sound. I think i'm going to have to find somebody reliable, and hardworking.

Yeah thanks. My next episodes takes place a lot indoors as its a poker game, and i hope that i will be able to pull it off, i have been learning alot lately about sound. I am currently working on a soundtrack production for college where i have to get a film trailer and delete the audio and then create my own, foley, sync voices, add music, its really enjoyable but tough but i have like 8 audio tracks in one scene and it still feels empty after ive finished ill post it on here to see what people think

That's what I'm thinking of doing - do short episodes or film, but do it as an executive producer, so as to build my experience and contacts. I'm the sort of guy that needs experience, for better or worse.

Hey i think to be honest you should just direct and write, i was producing alot of stuff and i kept on thinking that it would help me get better but i was focusing on everything apart from the directing so. personally you cant learn directing unless you actually direct. So have a whirl

My next episodes takes place a lot indoors as its a poker game

I look forward to it! That's gonna be amazing! I love a game of poker.

Can I just ask, what's the reason for the banana? I love it but I'm just wondering cause my friends keep asking me whenever they see it, why has Bernie got a banana and I just say 'because it's funny' but I don't actually know.

Can you help? Thank you so much if you can!

I don't actually know why we have a banana it just came about on the first day of shooting. just thought it was funny and stuff so filmed it :D hahah

Back